Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like Dahlquist, Magnepans, and Vandestein, subs Velodyne
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
lumpy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently enjoying the pyra bella 7 from high emotion audio. They are hooked up to a plain vanilla NAD 2 channel receiver.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Martin Speakers (Eastman Sounds) TL3050s. A Transflex ported 10 inch 3 way. This was back in the early 80s so it had a horn loaded, soft dome tweeter, dome mid, and a accordian surround, treated paper woofer. All the components used in Martin's at the time were SEAS out of Norway.

28hz-20Khz freq response, 92db at 1 watt at 1 meter sensitivity, and each speaker weighed almost 70lbs each. My father had them hooked up to all tube Luxman equipment with a Dual turntable.

Not the best photos but you get the point:

Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 PM
mickster
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm.....

Loved the Infinity RS1B's powered by VTL 500 Watt Monoblocks on the bottom and 225 Triodes on top.

Loved the Klipsch Corner horns powered by 300 Watt VTL monoblocks on bottom, 225 Triodes on mid and Tiny Triode 25s on top.

Quads were always nice.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
mcholdfast
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickster
Hmmmm.....

Loved the Infinity RS1B's powered by VTL 500 Watt Monoblocks on the bottom and 225 Triodes on top.
I've never heard the RS1b's but wish I could, those and the IRS/V. My QLS1's are as close as I've gotten but they sound great to me. I've read the top end responds well to tube amps. Someday I'll have one to find out.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
sig_a
Pro

JBL Paragon, BOSE 901, AR3a, JBL L100, KLH Five, Dynaco A25......To many to list.

My thinking is speakers can mask many imperfections. So high quality source is really as important. Undecided about $3000 dollar speaker cables, though.

Last edited by sig_a; 05-29-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Are you saying those are the best speakers you have ever heard ? ....
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
sig_a
Pro

They didn't name them Paragon for nothing. 901's shattered convention. L100's best bookshelf ever. AR3a's fathered the industry. KLH Five workaday magic. Dynaco's A25 best bang for the buck.

Speaker potential is only actualized by the quality of the upstream signal and the listening environment. So, it's an impossible question to answer.

Which of those listed have you heard?

Last edited by sig_a; 02-23-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

All except the Paragon , well that Paragon , JBL had other Paragon models that i have heard over the years ....
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
My thinking is speakers can mask many imperfections. So high quality source is really as important. Undecided about $3000 dollar speaker cables, though.
It is all relative. I have played with a lot of equipment and cables recently using the same speakers. I eventually ended up with what I was looking for. The cables made more of a difference with the system than I would have thought. I was trying to bi-amp my system for a while. Because my layout requires 5 meter cables I tried playing with different levels of speaker cables in the hopes not to spend the money on a second pair of audience AU24E's which I find to be incredibly accurate for far less than many exotic cables. I was lucky to have a source to lend me some lesser cables and purchased others. In the end I wasted money on cheap cables resulting in a sound that wasn't quite right. I switched the cables back and forth from the class A amp I was using for my high end and the same make A/B amp designed to work with each other.

When I used the cheaper cables for the bass it was lost with incredible highs and when switching the cables around the highs diminished and the bass was back. So I did what made sense sold the A/B and picked up a second class A amp using both bridged for mono and used the single pair of cables I already had. It cost a little more but what a sound.

In the end the source proved to be the most critical aspect of my system.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
All except the Paragon , well that Paragon , JBL had other Paragon models that i have heard over the years ....
Incorrect. Paragon was a single piece stereo speaker system, the one and only.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

a good CD player, good cables and a good preamp and your're halfway home. the high-pass circuit should be a virgin signal from birth, completely free of any crossover circuits (no problem for the low-pass) and delivered directliy into a single stereo amp.... your sub/bass can be delivered to second amp after the crossover or powered sub and your and you're in the driveway.....

loudspeaker crates suck.... but at the very least, they need to allow the mid and high frequency waves to bend around the box, rather than rely on trickery, used in inferior speaker box designs (with additional drivers) and finally, the sound behind the loudspeakers should be absorbed by the room with the least echoes coming off. (not easily done).... the nuts at B & W understand that a speaker box is not a "solution," but, a "problem." they take the necessary steps (within reason, or not) to eliminate the backwave, and minimize the size of the enclosure delivering the treble....

we shouldn't care too much for speaker designs that create echoes and interference..... if someone can't afford a good set of loudspeakers, (replacing an engine on your 996/7 sure can be a bitch), it might be better to buy an older set and have worn transducers replaced... far better than buying crap that is little more than a weak attempt to blend in with the surrounding furniture.

'
Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 01-29-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sig_a
Incorrect. Paragon was a single piece stereo speaker system, the one and only.
JBL has used the paragon moniker a few times in the past if my memory serves me right. The D44000 was the original , but i do recall purchasing for a client in the 80's Paragons with a different model designation and it represented there hi-end home line, this was the speaker i was speaking of , i never heard the D44000 and the design is a bit quirky IMO, i could not imagine good sound or reference type sound from that unit .

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
JBL has used the paragon moniker a few times in the past if my memory serves me right. The D44000 was the original , but i do recall purchasing for a client in the 80's Paragons with a different model designation and it represented there hi-end home line, this was the speaker i was speaking of , i never heard the D44000 and the design is a bit quirky IMO, i could not imagine good sound or reference type sound from that unit .

The D44000 was the only JBL produced Paragon. JBL did produce other large cabinet horn loaded speaker systems with similar sounding names like Metregon and Minigon, but no other Paragon. This may be what you are thinking.

As for your imagined lack of "good sound" remark, coupled with the fact that you admit to having "never heard the D44000", doesn't make any sense.

My question is how does yesterday's Paragon stand up to today's JBL DD66000?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Have you guys ever though about researching what the recording engineers and mastering engineers are using? After all these are the speakers that your music you listen to was created on.

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?