Notices

Should I Replace My PCCBs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 08:13 PM
sigar
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Should I Replace My PCCBs?

I’ve got just over 10,000 miles on my 981 GT4 with PCCBs. I use the car for about a dozen “arrive and drive” autocross events per year and the occasional date night. I’m wondering if it makes sense to replace the PCCBs with a factory “red caliper” set. The reason would be primarily to allow for 19” wheels for shorter gearing and more tire selection. The “downgrade” will cost a little over $10k (for the brakes and wheels). But, it also might allow me to avoid over $20k in replacing the PCCB rotors down the road. My questions are: Is the gear reduction meaningful, and what would the new top speed in 2nd gear be? How long should the PCCBs last with the type of driving I do?

I plan to keep this GT4 until either the GT4 RS, Emira or Z06 proves a better fit, but I’m unlikely to pay a significant ADM and I’m low on the waiting lists for each, so I’m probably looking at not switching cars for at least 2 years. I’ll have about 15k miles on it by then.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:55 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Personally for autox I do not think its worth $10k to change the gearing. In fact I'm running 19s that are the same OD as the 20s so nothing gained there just the choices as it adds Falkens as an option. Maybe its worth doing once the PCCB are due for service since its less than PCCB maintenance but I wouldn't before then.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:51 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you do trackdays you won't have to replace the disks. In terms of disk wear, the PCCB's on my '11 TTS haven't really worn over 5 years of 60K miles and ~120 autocross events. The car has 80K on it. The disks measure very slightly less than when I got the car, but within spec, and the weights are within spec. These events average about 10 runs. I've had to change pads, and a broken front caliper piston. Pads are a lot more expensive than non PCCB pads though.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:48 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 83 Posts

I use 19s with my PCCBs . Tight and occasional pebble gets stuck and scratches wheel but not terrible and oNly front calipers. Many GT3 guys run 19s with pccbs.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:17 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was occasionally getting a piece of gravel stuck between the disk and dust shields in the front, but I bent the dust shield back a bit by hand and have never had that issue again

Quick Reply: Should I Replace My PCCBs?