Notices

question for 944 auto-x's: tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

that's funny, if my car has rear sway, I can go bigger there too? so what's allowed and lets me stay in ES?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

The only way you can go to a bigger rear sway is if it's part of an option. For me, I had 25.5mm front and 18mm rear sways along with koni yellow shocks as a "sport package." Research what options were available for the 1983 model; if there was an option that changed swaybars, you could install it. You gotta read the scca rulebook for all the little details though.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the rear sway is open, meaning it can be any sway bar as long as you dont remove a factory one.

But I could be wrong.

Roman- Did you download a rulebook yet? Not only will it give you the rules for your class, it will help you understand the whole event much better.

(Hint-Print it out at work )
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
70RSR
Intermediate

You can not change the rear sway bar. Stock is front sway bar and shocks. Be careful on the "sport package". It has to have been available on your year car. Not the entire range of 944's. Also, you have to put on everything that came on any package. You can not pick and choose which parts or from any year, that is Street Prepared.

Dave Newman
Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Thats right, its the front. good call RSR.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
roman944
Drifting

too much headache

lol, I just want to have some fun with the car
Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Then just leave it unmodified and drive it as-is!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM
roman944
Drifting

well, first step: get the tires and run like that for a little while
then we'll see where this goes

should I keep rear tires bigger then front?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

I run 245 in the back on 8" wheels and 225 in the front on 7" wheels and it's pretty good. If you have the same-sized wheel on each corner, just put the same-sized tire all around too so you can rotate them.
I ran my first several autocrosses in the 944 on 215/60/15 yoko es100s and there was much learning on the lack of grip.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Best advice I can offer is this. Take the car and run it as is. As long as you pass tech, you'll have a car to have fun in. I mean... I ran a '92 Saturn for 2 years and pulled some times that will put a modded honda to shame. Its a driver's game, so don't focus on what the car can do. The car, at this point, will be able to perform beyond your driving capabilities.

You want to learn how the car runs as it is. Don't get caught up in mods until you do at least a few events. Also, you want to ride with as many people as you can. As long as it doesn't interfere with your runs, you can hop in the car with someone who is willing to have a passenger, and see what the course is like in different cars. If possible, try riding in as many different cars as possible. I've ridden in NA 944's, turbo MR2's, modded WRX's, Vettes, F bodies, Civics and Tiburons.

I'm gonna be auto-Xing a 951 on BFG Touring Tires... Think about how I'm gonna feel.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
roman944
Drifting

I'm still yet to measure my wheels right now; just waiting for weather to get warmer, so I can see if my head is damaged from timing belt failure

I think I should buy a used head, just in case mine is actually broken now

that way if it is, I already have a good one to put on

then, measure the wheels, and make sure I have the right tire on the right wheel; I think I have smaller wheels in the back with biggest tires, and big wheels in front with small tires

once this mess is cleared up I'll go and a-x again and hopefully will see an improvement, and come back with results!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM
jbaeng
Track Day

yeah, I ran several auto-x events in my '88 944 on the crap rubber that came with it when I bought it and towed it home this past April. I've done tons of auto-x's in the past with other cars and it was quite ammusing running the car with 15"wheels and sears roadhugger m&s tire. it eas a challange to not come in last place in PCA events! I just got some 17" boxster wheels with decent tires that make the car feel way better! I'm looking into some R tires as well after a few events. we shall see, more input in a bit. I agree with an earlier comment for a newbie to not sweat tires yet. go out and rip up some cones first and save the tires for later.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roman,

Just noticed this thread - you should meet up with me at the next auto-x this coming season. I'm right down the road from you, and run pretty much every SCCA event in the area. I typically run with the CNY region, but I make it to most of the FLR events @ the SEAD. I haven't read the whole thread, but it looks like you 'popped your cherry' at the last RIT event last year - was that by any chance the 'famous event' where the Subie went into the crowd? If you catch me at an event, I'll gladly ride along & give you some pointers. I'll be in either #8 CSP or #8 FM depending on which car I bring.

The FLR will let you run the 'novice' class for up to 1 full year. I wouldn't worry about doing ANYTHING to your for now, beyond tire pressures and maybe some fresh STREET tires (Bridgestone RE01R's are on sale for ~$90/each right now and would be my suggestion). No offense, but any mods you do your first year will be a waste of $$. You'll just get a higher PAX penalty, and won't go any faster. You'll be best off to stay in ES for now until you get more seat time.

After your first year, I'd suggest getting some Hoosier A6's or Kuhmo 710's. These will make the biggest performance improvement BY FAR, and are legal in any class where your car is legal (ES -> CSP -> FP -> SM2 -> EM -> AM). Beyond this, read the rules and avoid SM2 & above like the plague - you won't be competitive there without many $$$. CSP is doable, as I've proven, and I think FP is even within reach. For CSP you'll need to do substantial upgrades to the suspension and 275/35R15 tires.

Quick Reply: question for 944 auto-x's: tires