Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default First time Autocrossing this weekend

Any tips from the experienced guys?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Drive hard and have fun! And don't worry about hitting cones.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st time this weekend for me as well. Bringing my track car and having to compete in Improved class due to roll cage, so I don't have high expectations.

I'll be just north of Charlotte, NC. You?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Try to make all 4 tires squeal the same amount any time you're turning

If only the fronts are screaming & the steering goes light, you're overdriving. Slow down to improve your times.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

If you're bored and want to read, here's my autocross primer.

Have fun, talk to people, see if you can get some ride-alongs, and be prepared to be annihilated by an 85hp Civic.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Drive hard and have fun! And don't worry about hitting cones.
Thanks and good to know!

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
1st time this weekend for me as well. Bringing my track car and having to compete in Improved class due to roll cage, so I don't have high expectations.

I'll be just north of Charlotte, NC. You?
Good luck. I'll be in beautiful Bastrop, TX with the Spokes organization.

Originally Posted by ToSi
Try to make all 4 tires squeal the same amount any time you're turning

If only the fronts are screaming & the steering goes light, you're overdriving. Slow down to improve your times.
Got it. (Totally in love with your 911 in your avatar...gorgeous!)

Originally Posted by burglar
If you're bored and want to read, here's my autocross primer.

Have fun, talk to people, see if you can get some ride-alongs, and be prepared to be annihilated by an 85hp Civic.
Cheers to that. I'll definitely give it a read through before Sat. And, yes, I've prepared myself to be schooled after a warning from an experienced friend. I'm just out for fun this weekend. Any excuse to drive the car makes me happy.

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 04-03-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't go fast unless you know where your going. Take it easy the first couple of runs to get acquainted with the course and learning to see the course from the cones. If they have instructors available, make use of them. If they allow ride alongs, get to know some of the top drivers and ask them to sit in on your run or ride along on theirs.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

new site the SCCA made this year, it's pretty good though you might very likely know most of it:

http://sccastartingline.com/
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by N_Halbert
You can't go fast unless you know where your going. Take it easy the first couple of runs to get acquainted with the course and learning to see the course from the cones. If they have instructors available, make use of them. If they allow ride alongs, get to know some of the top drivers and ask them to sit in on your run or ride along on theirs.
Originally Posted by abqautoxer
new site the SCCA made this year, it's pretty good though you might very likely know most of it:

http://sccastartingline.com/
Thanks, guys. Appreciated.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look ahead - repeat it to yourself over and over and over again all day....
Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that was fun. And pretty humbling.

I drove as fast as I could with the car's *** end sliding every which a way. Don't think I hit any cones or missed any gates, but my times were pitiful.

New tires are coming soon. I think I will put some smaller diameter AX tires on my 15" rims and get some performance summer tires for track use on the 16" rims. It's only money.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
jred42
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a day full of clean runs isn't always a good thing. Even when I have a day with what I think are good times but I didn't have a dirty run I worry that I have left time out on the course. Here is the strategy that I use:

Run 1: Recon. Attack parts that you are confident in, but as soon as you're uncertain back off. There is nothing worse than going out, getting lost and not understanding what you did wrong because you were going too fast. It is important to still be aggresive. The course will look very different on you second run if you first run was like a sunday afternoon drive.

Run 2: Try to get a fast, but clean run in. Attack everything, but come at it from a conservative pace. It will help in the furture runs to know that you have one respectable clean run under your belt.

Run 3: As fast as possible and then some more. This is the run you should hit things. Pick a couple of spots and do something you brain says might not work. Often you will be surprised and make it. Even if you do end up spinning or hitting cones, you normally will learn what to do to get right up to that limit on your next runs.

Run 4+: These depend on run 3. If you made it through run 3 without a scratch, push harder. If you didn't, try to fix the problem by backing down a bit. I find it is easiest to find the limit by going beyond and backing down instead of creaping up from below.

Final Run: If you've gotten a good run, then let it all hang out here. Just try to get that rediculous, nobody can believe it kind of run. Avoid collecting large numbers of cones though. Corner workers don't like it when you clean up a bunch of cones right at the end of their work assignment. If you don't have a good run, just try to get as close as you can to the limit while be fairly confident you'll make it.

Beyond this guide, just remember to have fun and try not to worry too much about times. It takes a few years to be equal to people who have been doing this for 10+years.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Had a great time. Finished #1 in the novice class out of a group of 31 with a best time of 25.387s. Let one of my best buddies run my car in the same group and he finished third with a best time of 25.779s. (He's an instructor and a very good driver and especially impressive since it was his first time ever in the car.)

Raw times, I was 3.040s off the fastest time of the day (46th/122) and PAX weighted I was 2.433 off the pace which was good for 48th/122.

Had a blast and learned a lot! The 991 is an amazing car that definitely made me look better than I really am! I'll definitely do it again.

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...3_2013_fin.htm
Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by jred42
Having a day full of clean runs isn't always a good thing. Even when I have a day with what I think are good times but I didn't have a dirty run I worry that I have left time out on the course. Here is the strategy that I use:

Run 1: Recon. Attack parts that you are confident in, but as soon as you're uncertain back off. There is nothing worse than going out, getting lost and not understanding what you did wrong because you were going too fast. It is important to still be aggresive. The course will look very different on you second run if you first run was like a sunday afternoon drive.

Run 2: Try to get a fast, but clean run in. Attack everything, but come at it from a conservative pace. It will help in the furture runs to know that you have one respectable clean run under your belt.

Run 3: As fast as possible and then some more. This is the run you should hit things. Pick a couple of spots and do something you brain says might not work. Often you will be surprised and make it. Even if you do end up spinning or hitting cones, you normally will learn what to do to get right up to that limit on your next runs.

Run 4+: These depend on run 3. If you made it through run 3 without a scratch, push harder. If you didn't, try to fix the problem by backing down a bit. I find it is easiest to find the limit by going beyond and backing down instead of creaping up from below.

Final Run: If you've gotten a good run, then let it all hang out here. Just try to get that rediculous, nobody can believe it kind of run. Avoid collecting large numbers of cones though. Corner workers don't like it when you clean up a bunch of cones right at the end of their work assignment. If you don't have a good run, just try to get as close as you can to the limit while be fairly confident you'll make it.

Beyond this guide, just remember to have fun and try not to worry too much about times. It takes a few years to be equal to people who have been doing this for 10+years.
In hindsight, this is very, very good advice. I DNF'd my first run which was exactly what I didn't want to do. My goal in my first run was to run a +/- 30 s laptime with no cones down and no DNFs. Didn't do it, which means I spent my second lap doing what I should have done in my first as you described. Fastest lap came on my 5th of 6th runs. I overdrove my last run which was pretty much wasted.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Had a great time.
Awesome! That's a very short course, it must have been a tiny lot.

Hope you're hooked now. Next up - we want video.

Quick Reply: First time Autocrossing this weekend