02 Boxster S Looking to buy but NO LOW SPEED FANS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:20 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 01 Boxster S in my sights....

Looking at buying one, it has a new short block in it and is in great shape with 146,000 kms. Otherwise the car looks A1...I spoke to the mechanic shop that installed the OEM new engine, AOS and a host of related items.

I decided to spend less on a weekend toy (was shopping for a good 996), and this car looks to fill the need.

Went for a drive, parked and left the engine running to look things over. Temp gauge was @ 80 C in the middle of the range (celcius), no front fans running. I put the AC on, still no fans. (AC needs a charge BTW)

Drove back to the owner's house, temps stayed @ 80 C, no fans on when I got there, even with AC running.

It's 32 C where the car is located today.

Is this a serious issue?

I know a 996's fans will both run on low when you click on the AC...need advice, thanks all.

Last edited by harrisonrick; 08-31-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:56 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe the low speed fans should kick on when A/C is used in hot weather.
The first thing to check would be the fuse(s) and relay(s). The second thing to check might be the fan resistor, and/or the A/C switch that is supposed to tell the fans to run.
The relays and resistors are known wear/failure items in the cooling system.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fans should always be running when the AC is on! Low or high speed depending on engine temperature.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you buy the fans they come with resistors. The resistors by themselves are quite expensive. I prefer to replace the both the fan and resistor when the resistor quits.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you asked the mechanic who did all the work what he/she thinks? If the a/c is really low on 134a, it may not kick off the low pressure sensor. And that might not allow the fans to work. I'd see if recharging the refrigerant helps. Might be a bad fuse or a bad relay.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:02 AM
thom4782
Advanced

Low speed fans won't run if the ballast resistors are broken. Its an easy, low cost fix.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys..the seller has taken the car to a reputable Porsche mechanic to have the fans checked out this week. Seems like an owner that cares, he said "if you are buying or not, I am taking the car to get the items you pointed out checked out".

That gave him some credit in my books - he wants the car right before it is sold. If all checks out, I think I am going to go for it.

Now I'll need to find a hardtop to add to it too...anyone?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Oops...it's a 2001 Boxster S. My typo...anyway...

Well, the seller gave the mechanic at Furtmair in the Kitchener Ontario area (Uli) permission to give me the low-down on the car.

He said it was a clean car, in good condition. No serious issues noted. A man of few words, but a straight shooter as noted by others such as Ernie from Mantis Racing in Oakville.

I got a copy of his invoice - a leak test with dye and a recharge was done on the system. No leaks noted. The AC has an electrical fault that doesn't turn the compressor on - maybe a relay? The seller didn't want to spend any more since he was selling the car. I can't say that I blame him.

Tie rod ends, all new tires and a 4 wheel alignment was done...some $2400 spent.

It was almost a PPI that was completed...the report/invoice was quite detailed for the work completed and what he inspected and recommended.

I also saw the receipt from Zorotech in Hamilton, Ontario (Zoron that used to work at Furtmair) for the new short block, AOS, IMS, etc., etc., that was done. Roughly $9200 spent on that invoice in early 2016 when the seller bought the car. After speaking to Zoron, he said the car was solid, the clutch was above 60% when he installed the engine so the customer opted to leave it...the flywheel passed scrutiny/testing.

I'm going to give it one more look over...I think it is a decent car. With the detailed invoices and discussions I think I am safe to forgo a full PPI...new engine, IMS, AOS, tires, suspension is solid, clean title, no paint work and a moderate number of previous owners. (for a 17 year old car)

Thoughts gang?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

If the mechanic says it's solid, and it checks all your boxes, then go for it.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a money pit. And it sounds like the seller has tossed a lot of loonies and toonies at it. If you're happy with the price, I say go for it. If there's a problem with the fans, it's just an electrical problem. May take some smarts to figure out, but shouldn't be more than an arm and a leg to fix.

Sounds like a great car to me!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Drove back to the owner's house, temps stayed @ 80 C, no fans on when I got there, even with AC running.

It's 32 C where the car is located today.

Is this a serious issue?

I know a 996's fans will both run on low when you click on the AC...need advice, thanks all.
More than likely two worn out fan resistors that control the speed of the fans. Pretty common wear item and relatively easy to replace. I recommend just replacing the resistors and not the whole fan. Normally, the fan motors last a long time, but the resistors wear out pretty quick. There are several DIY videos on YouTube you could use for reference. Oh, and don't be tempted to buy used resistors, but spend the money and purchase new OEM ones from Porsche.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:16 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Thanks fellas. I'm a cautious buyer, and I am capable of most mechanical repairs other than replacing a clutch or IMS/RMS. I don't have a lift, and I'm too old to crawl around on the ground like some others have done.

Going for one last test drive today...going to check the engine stamp to be sure - I saw the bill of sale from the shop, but after googling and reading I think it best to verify the code to make sure there is a "Y" or "AT" (German word for new).

I can also see if any of that dye has leaked out around the condensers too.

It would be best to not read the internet about all the failures, and buy and enjoy I think. lol
Old 09-03-2018, 01:24 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

Hi harrisonrick,

I was in a similar position as you several months ago (and in the GTA as well!) I eventually found a car that was not perfect - it had a few scratches, dings, minor scrapes and what not, but regularly driven and VERY well maintained by all its previous owners. I had a few reputable shops check the car out, much like how you did, and all it needed was some new transmission oil, CV boots, and a car wash. I've been enjoying the car regularly since late May and I have zero regrets. I didn't want to let the fearmongering of the Internet dictate my decision; I have owned other Porsches where the IMS was not replaced, and my cars were okay, and are still on the road today (I keep in touch with the new owners.) Best of luck, and if you get it, congrats!

Quick Reply: 02 Boxster S Looking to buy but NO LOW SPEED FANS