Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevron Techron

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:46 AM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the advantage of a higher octane in a street car?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it has been a week or so since I put Techron in the 944. Over the course of that time, I have also done some work to the car. Specifically, it got a new air filter, new spark plugs, and the original (yes, original 18 year old) wires were replaced with a high performance 8mm set.

The results have been VERY good. The car is running better than at any time I've owned it. It simply seems much more responsive and the "butt dyno" registers a significant improvement. I daresay it is a car transformed (the engine even sounds a little different, if that's possible) - but it is hard to say what individually is responsible for the change. Maybe it's the Techron, maybe it's the fact that my old plugs & wires were shot and the air filter was restrictive. Whatever the case, I am going to give my other cars a dose of Techron.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by strudel
What's the advantage of a higher octane in a street car?
reduce knock and maintain engine performance. if you run lower octane, the engine senses knock and retards timing, which reduces power output.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
mackgoo
Advanced

The advantage is a proper running engine. Our Boxsters are running an 11:1 CR. The higher octane keeps the mixture in the combustion chamber from blowing up when it's not supposed to. As CR ratio rises this happens more easily.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
JeffES
Pro

Actually, Sean raises a great point. As we see Boxsters with some age (3 + years), there would be benefits to replacing wires/belts/hoses/etc. At 5 -6 years there will be considerable improvement.
Also, mixing fuel is exactly how the oil co's/distributors do it. I know several folks in CA who "stock" a few gallons of 100 and mix a quart in every couple of tanks - works great!
Enjoy the Boxster. It's a great car, and a great Porsche.
J
Old 02-05-2004, 02:25 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I just finish with the Techron as well. Great stuff. Throttle response is stronger all the way to redline. I would definitely recommend this product.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Paghmani
6th Gear

I remember on the airbox of my 911sc it had a shell sticker. Ferrari has used shell forever. Many people including my brother swear that chevron is good gas and it might be. Doesnt Porsche recomment shell and Ferrari as well??
Old 02-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sean M. said "butt dyno". He he...

Quick Reply: Chevron Techron