Say hello to a new lurker...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 03:32 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say hello to a new lurker...

Hello!
I am currently a 944 owner that spends most of my rennlist time on the 924/944/951/968 boards. Well, I've been thinking about upgrading for about 6mon now. My 944 isn't the nicest of examples, and i want more power. The logical upgrade for someone of the 944 following was to go to a turbo, or a 968. The first thing that got me not wanting either of the two was that they shared the same dash layout. That would just psychologically make me think that i was still driving the same 944. Also, it would be nice to get something made within the last 10yrs.

I got to thinking the Boxster, specifically a Silver 2000 Boxster S with Red leather interior and 18" wheels, would be a good upgrade. Enough power, good handling, good looks. Lets just hope i can afford one. I'll be looking to buy in winter of '04, possibly '05 depending on how school and work go. Otherwise, i just wanted to introduce myself as a new lurker so nobody thinks twice when i ask for pics mid-thread to satisfy my taste for good-looking boxsters. Hello all!

... and if you guys want to do more than say hello in return, you can post pics!
Greg
Old 01-28-2004, 08:35 PM
mackgoo
Advanced

I just bought a 98. The thing is a blast. I have a Tiptronic I'm very impressed with the way that transmission works. The little 2.5L actually goes pretty good, I have no complaints although I am really thinking I'd like an "S". I have told the salesman at McKenna Porsche to give me a call if a 2K comes in. Until then I'll enjoy the heck out of what I have.
In short you really can't go wrong with any model. These cars are a blast and they are very good performers.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:15 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome JediAgent. I think you lost your "lurker" status when you posted .

I'm sure you know this already. But if you keep your 944 when/if you get a Boxster, you can turn it into a 944Spec race car. Just a thought .
Old 01-28-2004, 10:05 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Im pretty sure my 944 is beyond 944Spec req's. Thou i've never looked into it, so im not sure. But hey, i could prolly take it back to stock.......

...... naw.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. You ain't a lurker no more... hehehe...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hello

I like Mike's idea about turning your 944 into a spec racer. Check out 944cup.com for some ideas.

Drive a few Boxsters, even the "lowly" early ones. You might find them very enjoyable and you'll be able to get into one much quicker (financially) than a newer S model. Of course, for some, there's no substitute for power!

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I agree with Doug...some of the earlier 2.5L Boxsters are a good value now.

Although I have an S, the first Porsche I ever drove was a 1997 2.5L Boxster - and I loved it! I'll always remember that test drive.

I have a 944 too. While I'm fond of the 944 series, the Boxster is simply lot more advanced from a design perspective. The 944 has roots going all the way back to the 924 project of the mid-70s. The Boxster is a clean sheet modern (90s) design, and it feels like it. Take one for a drive and you will be hooked.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:54 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Guys...

... im hooked on the IDEA. Im sure a test drive would get me selling the 944 fast in order to get any and all necessary funds. I have yet to drive any Boxster, thou being the power freak i am i want the 250hp. My mechanic and best friend is telling me i should stay away from anything from the first year or two, and I read somewhere that the 00' model also addressed some interior quality issues. I like the idea of the S models Hp and packaging, thou 25-30k is going to be somewhat of a goal.

I should go test drive one for fun thou. Anyone live in SoCal? hehe
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
mackgoo
Advanced

If you live near McKenna Porsche in Norwalk you should check them out. Ask for Tim.
I just bought a 98 with 87K the thing runs like a top. I do have plans for an "S" in the near future.

Quick Reply: Say hello to a new lurker...