Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Problem?

Several times I have tried to start my 03 Boxster and it wouldn't start. After several tries it would start. Also, it just cut off while driving in a parking lot. I coasted to a stop and restarted it. I'm thinking its in the ignition switch?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Several times I have tried to start my 03 Boxster and it wouldn't start. After several tries it would start. Also, it just cut off while driving in a parking lot. I coasted to a stop and restarted it. I'm thinking its in the ignition switch?

Thanks for any advise.
Have to say the cut out reads more like a fuel pump problem if you tell me the dash lights look normal and the engine cranks but doesn't fire.

As for the ignition switch I've watched techs "test" an ignition switch for issues. The technique is to wiggle the key, apply pressure to the key in various directions, while using the key to turn the ignition on and then turn the ignition to engine start to see if one can affect the behavior of the dash lights/engine during this. If one can that's a sign the switch is bad. Don't just try this once or twice, but at least 5 or 6 times.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
Have to say the cut out reads more like a fuel pump problem if you tell me the dash lights look normal and the engine cranks but doesn't fire.

As for the ignition switch I've watched techs "test" an ignition switch for issues. The technique is to wiggle the key, apply pressure to the key in various directions, while using the key to turn the ignition on and then turn the ignition to engine start to see if one can affect the behavior of the dash lights/engine during this. If one can that's a sign the switch is bad. Don't just try this once or twice, but at least 5 or 6 times.
The lights come on but the engine doesn't crank.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

The lights come on but the engine doesn't crank.
Dash lights on, everything otherwise looks/acts normal, but engine fails to crank has been in my experience a bad (intermittently so, too) clutch interlock switch.

But this bad switch never affected the engine at any other time.

Also, I have not come upon a report by anyone of the engine cutting out that proved to be due to a bad ignition switch. 'course, there is always the first time.

With a Tip the problem can be the engine controller fails to recognize the Tip shift lever is in Park.

There can be a problem with the car's security system. For example when attempting to start the engine the process of energizing the RFID pill in the key module and the processing of its response doesn't work while the car otherwise appears normal the engine does not crank.

In this case the security system can emit an error code. No warning lights come on and I believe the diagnostic computer has to be connected and actively monitoring for errors to obtain the error.

The evidence is not conclusive the ignition switch is the culprit.

Did you try the "test" I suggested in my first reply? What you are looking for, would like to see, is some sign you can affect the car's electrical behavior by how you turn on the ignition switch.

Otherwise you are faced with just throwing a new ignition switch at the symptoms and hoping for the best. Or taking the car to a qualified shop for a pro tech's diagnosis. And my experience is at least initially he's going to try to affect the car's electrical system behavior, reproduce the no engine crank behavior, by testing if he can cause any of these symptoms to appear by applying pressure to the key while he turns the ignition switch from off to on to engine start.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Macster ,thanks for your help diagnosing my problem. I was able to get it started yesterday by repeatedly turning the key on and off. Went out this morning and it started on the first try? Definitely intermittent and it has only cut off once while driving slow in 1st gear.

I have some of that switch/contact spray that fixed my window switch on my last Boxster, Do you think spraying some into the key hole would help?
Old 01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Macster
Race Director

Macster ,thanks for your help diagnosing my problem. I was able to get it started yesterday by repeatedly turning the key on and off. Went out this morning and it started on the first try? Definitely intermittent and it has only cut off once while driving slow in 1st gear.

I have some of that switch/contact spray that fixed my window switch on my last Boxster, Do you think spraying some into the key hole would help?
No. I would not use that spray in the key hole. And the problem is because the problem is intermittent if you spray and the symptom chooses to remain absent it looks like it helps.

Besides the electrical connections are at the back of the ignition switch assembly and from what I vaguely recall when I had the old one in my hand is there is no path from the key opening to the electrical portion of the switch.

Losing engine power is a symptom the switch is in pretty sad shape. Losing engine power while driving is not a symptom I'd want to risk happening. That represents a safety hazard. Thus based on what you report the state of the switch is pretty bad and the switch won't get any better with continued use.

Based on what you have posted it reads like the switch is the culprit and thus my advice is to replace the switch. If you want a professional's opinion I would of course have no objection and in fact recommend it. You want to be sure as you can be before you proceed.

If the switch is confirmed as the source of the problem I'd replace the the whole switch assembly, not just the electrical portion located at the back end. This is contrary to what most other owners do. They elect to replace just the electrical portion but because Porsche doesn't sell this separately have to source this component from Audi (which at least used to carry what was essentially the same part used in Porsche cars). I have not kept current on sources for the electrical only portion of the switch and whether one can still get the part from Audi. I have no experience with other sources for this part. My general attitude is I prefer to whenever possible use OE parts and supplies. I am no way interested in using my car as a test platform to try to find alternative parts and parts sources to the OE ones which I have 100% confidence in.

But it is your car and your call.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

OK, I will see about getting a new switch. Thanks for all your help. The Boxster is not my daily driver, so I am able to leave it parked till I can swap out the switch.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Problem?