Sponsored by:

986 Body Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986 Body Upgrade questions

So 986 boxsters are fairly cheap in my area and I was considering picking one up after I saw the fiberglass hardtop that styles the body to that of a 987 Cayman. My questions are:
1. What 911 front bumpers bolt on directly (going for gt look)
2. Would a 987.2 body kit be fairly adaptable to use on the 986?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:12 PM
Kevin986
Intermediate

First off,
I wouldn't consider any bumper completely "bolt on" unless you get an OEM bumper off a 911 from I believe the 1999-2001 model series which is the exact same fitment as the 986 Boxsters.
As far as fiberglass goes, stay away. Yes they're cheaper, but they're also waaaaaay more prone to cracking/fitment issues.
Reading around before I changed my front end all i read was horror stories with fiberglass, and people usually ended up spending waaaay more than anticipated on prep/bodywork.
Next option is Polyurethane, this is the route i went. Yes its more expensive, but its practically indestructible. Ive seen videos of people driving over the bumpers with full size trucks and the bumper is unharmed
Fitment is so-so, drilling and some modifications are required but nothing a little elbow grease cant fix. I spent probably about 25-30 hours prepping my bumper (but im a perfectionist) and Im sure it could be done in less time.
Attached is my 986 boxster with the 997 front bumper.
Hope this helps!
​​​​​​​

Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

agree. avoid fiberglass unless you like the extra work of fitting it. I have one that's unused in my attic - ended up buying a factory front bumper cover.
used OEM 996 front bumper covers are relatively inexpensive and if you shop enough you can find one in good shape.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1...buy real parts, not fibreglass.

I'd buy a proper 986 hardtop and upgrade the bumper covers if that floats your boat. If you like the Cayman look...buy a Cayman. Just my 2 cents.

Kevin...that front end looks nice...are those the Extreme Motorsports LED headlights? If so...how do you like them?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:16 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin986
First off,
I wouldn't consider any bumper completely "bolt on" unless you get an OEM bumper off a 911 from I believe the 1999-2001 model series which is the exact same fitment as the 986 Boxsters.
As far as fiberglass goes, stay away. Yes they're cheaper, but they're also waaaaaay more prone to cracking/fitment issues.
Reading around before I changed my front end all i read was horror stories with fiberglass, and people usually ended up spending waaaay more than anticipated on prep/bodywork.
Next option is Polyurethane, this is the route i went. Yes its more expensive, but its practically indestructible. Ive seen videos of people driving over the bumpers with full size trucks and the bumper is unharmed
Fitment is so-so, drilling and some modifications are required but nothing a little elbow grease cant fix. I spent probably about 25-30 hours prepping my bumper (but im a perfectionist) and Im sure it could be done in less time.
Attached is my 986 boxster with the 997 front bumper.
Hope this helps!
​​​​​​​
Does 997 front fenders and hood bolt on or close to at least?

Quick Reply: 986 Body Upgrade questions