Sponsored by:

1.8t Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:36 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Any particular reason why you won't entertain either selling the motor mount or performing this swap for customers? Just curious, as I'm really considering this and would much rather drop the car off with a shop who's done it before than pay for someone else to learn the ins and outs

I find doing complete conversion jobs for other people to be very stressful. I've done plenty of conversions over the years (TDi engines into VW Rabbit trucks, Subaru and 1.8t engines into Vanagons). If I'm doing them for myself on one of my own cars, it's fine, I can take my time, there is no time limit or budget limit. All the ones I have done for a customer have been very stressful, very time consuming, and not very profitable. I've found I'm better off to just do regular service on later VW and Audi cars.
I'm happy to share what I have learned along the way and pictures of what I've had to fabricate to get there. If someone else wants to get into business doing these swaps or just selling parts, good for them, I think there could be a market for it.

Andrew-
Old 06-30-2020, 10:51 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skucera
Andrew, I'm not likely to ever do this swap, but I do find it deeply satisfying to look at your pictures and read about the intriguing details that you've teased us with. Well done! I'm eager to learn what you've learned while doing these conversions both on Vanagons and on your Boxster. I'm subscribing just for the geek factor and to appreciate your artistry. Having done conversions in the past like adding overdrive to an MG Midget and converting a Saab 900 from automatic to 5-speed, I can appreciate the problem solving you had to go through to get these conversions finished. Thanks for sharing, and I'm eager to see more details that you may share so others can do this conversion.

Scott
Thanks Scott, I enjoy the challenge of finding a solution for each of the obstacles that come up doing these jobs. The one I really liked doing was making the 1.8t run backwards so that we were able to use not only the engine but also the transmissions from the later cars in the Vanagons. My own Syncro van has the entire driveline from an Audi A4 Quattro under it. The rear diff is now in the front, stock Audi driveshaft, Quattro transmission and 1.8t engine all running backwards. When I first started that project, lots of people were telling me it wouldn't work.

Andrew-
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (07-17-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:20 AM
skucera
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew,

OK, you've got me mystified about making a A4 engine run backward in a Vanagon. Did you create a custom camshaft and Motronic program to get it to run backward? Did you move the CPS relative to its default location? Dark magick must be involved there, that's all I can think.

Scott
Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skucera
Andrew,

OK, you've got me mystified about making a A4 engine run backward in a Vanagon. Did you create a custom camshaft and Motronic program to get it to run backward? Did you move the CPS relative to its default location? Dark magick must be involved there, that's all I can think.

Scott

The ECM doesn’t need any modifications, it doesn’t know what direction the engine is turning.
The cams are stock, this engine has separate intake and exhaust cams, I had to time them differently to make them work.
The toner ring that the crank position sensor reads from needs to be repositioned
The pistons were taken out and put in backwards.
The starter was fixed by combining it with another VW starter that turns the opposite direction.
The oil pump, water pump, and PS pump also needed to be dealt with.

Here’s a video if the very first start up of a 1.8t running CCW. I’ve put together about ten of these engines now. I have about 20k miles on that first engine.

here is the original build thread on TheSamba, it’s funny to go back and read it now seeing the comments from some guys.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...+run+backwards

Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 PM
kandr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE = xoo00oox; 15939078] У меня есть Boxster 99 года выпуска, который был 2,5, теперь с двигателем VW / Audi 1,8 т мощностью 200 л.с. Я купил эту машину в прекрасной форме, проехав всего 80 км и разбитую 2,5 из-за отказа IMS. Зная, что 5-ступенчатая трансмиссия в этом автомобиле трансмиссии 2wd VW Passat или Audi A4, я решил, возможно, двигатель от одной из этих машин. Я поставил все на место, и теперь на пробеге чуть больше тысячи миль. Автомобиль отлично подходит для вождения с турбонаддувом 4cy, и я получаю около 30 миль на галлон во время круиза. 1.8t примерно на 160 фунтов легче, чем стандартный 6-цилиндровый двигатель, и намного проще в обслуживании, и намного дешевле купить. Стандартные датчики подключены и работают нормально, также как и ABS и круиз.

Если кому-то нужны подробности, дайте мне знать,

Андрей-

[/ QUOTE]

hello namesake, I have a 2002 2.7 porsche boxster with a faulty engine. I want to make a 1.8t swap. I live in Belarus and I ask for your help in information. With respect. Andrey
Old 10-15-2020, 01:06 AM
Reese303
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello again to all that are subscribed to this thread.

I have made a few more videos since my initial post. Here is the latest:

I have short blocked the motor and will be providing an update soon.

Right now I am hung up on the turbo to use for this setup. Currently considering the GT28.

Also, a challenge that I know I will run into is cooling the charged air without a front-mounted intercooler being in the picture.

Looking to utilize a custom water to air intercooler.

Last edited by Reese303; 10-15-2020 at 01:08 AM.
pilot4fn (10-15-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:52 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello there Andrew

Great thread and I love your ingenuity. Would this conversion work for a Tiptronic? What extra problems would you envisage? The Tip has it's own ECU, which AFAIK does not feed into the DME.

Many thanks

Berni
Old 10-21-2020, 12:21 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

From one too many days in a 1.8T the 28RS is the one you want. More top end power with similar spool if I remember correctly.
Reese303 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:43 PM
Reese303
AutoX

Default Short Blocking the 1.8T and Turbo Selection

In this latest video if the 1.8T Porsche Boxster build, the motor gets short blocked and I struggle with turbo selection 😭

Old 10-21-2020, 04:45 PM
Reese303
AutoX

Originally Posted by Sveach756
From one too many days in a 1.8T the 28RS is the one you want. More top end power with similar spool if I remember correctly.
I have considered this. The turbo selection for a high hp application, I am learning, is challenging lol.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 AM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reese303
I have considered this. The turbo selection for a high hp application, I am learning, is challenging lol.
Agree on the 28RS. I had a slew of turbos on my 1.8T Audi (K03/stock, K04, GT28RS, GT3071R, Comp CT3 specifically). The disco potato 28RS was the right mix of spool and power. The bigger turbos made better dunno graphs but from a daily usable and on track (road course) perspective... They didn't compare.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:18 PM
Reese303
AutoX

After receiving a bunch of questions on Facebook about this 1.8T swap project, I decided to make a Q&A video regarding the 1.8T swap and my plans.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:15 AM
Reese303
AutoX

Getting close ladies and gentlemen on dropping the Boxster 2.5L motor and swapping in the built 1.8T. This video is an update of the additional parts that were added and what is left to be done. I am looking to drop the motor in mid-January. I have adjusted my horsepower goal to 450HP at the crank.

Here is a link to the latest video:

Let me know if you have any questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reese303:
Lincoln Peters (04-25-2021), Radman73 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Geovanni Malo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xoo00oox
If anyone wants any more details on any certain part of the job, let me know. I still have the complete original engine, ecm, wire harness, left side cat, muffler from the Boxster, if someone needs something, let me know that too.

Andrew-
I have a couple questions, what engine block did you use? I know any 1.8t will fit but my understanding is that the manifolds are diffent between the longitudinal and transverse set ups. Im wondering because you where able to use the Boxster Catt for your exhaust. Also what did you do for fueling. Did you have to fab something up to make it fit the intake manifold? Which intake manifold did you use?
Old 12-28-2020, 01:59 AM
modifieda4
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a wired thread to stumble upon. I feel very at home I had no idea about the use of the 1.8t in a boxster.

I own a modified 1.8t (ATW) in my A4 with 215K miles on it (@~250hp). i've done 3 timing belt changes on it and it keeps on ticking. here is a pic of the last one i did in 2019:

my other car is a '20 718 Cayman. another turbo 4

Last edited by modifieda4; 12-28-2020 at 02:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 1.8t Boxster