New seats - Recaro Sportster CS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 03:12 AM
SimonWGB
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New seats - Recaro Sportster CS

Hi All,

I installed some new seats into my 986S a few weeks ago and thought I would share some photos. I decided to change them for a few key reasons really, mainly because the drivers seat base was sagging anyway from before I got the car 18 months ago, secondly because I didn’t find the stock seats overly comfortable and supportive anyway and finally I love the look of the Recaro’s and they have taken years off the look of my car.

They are so comfortable and supportive and literally night and day over the stock tombstone seats, to say I am pleased is an understatement.

I only know of one other 986 with these seats fitted anywhere and that is a friend based at the other side of the world. I think I know mainly why not many dot them and it’s because these are a absolute nightmare to fit into a 986 and they literally fought me all the way lol. Even with the hassle, it was worth it in the end though.

Here are a few photos of them fitted. I have been on a few decent runs out in them now and definitely made the correct choice.

The following 6 users liked this post by SimonWGB:
911-heaven (09-28-2020), AnthonyGS (09-24-2020), Carlton Bale (02-14-2022), Cheekybird (10-31-2021), Geza (09-24-2020), Steve Theodore (07-21-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Totally agree, not a fun install. This was only half way through and I even went with BBI seat mounts to make it a little easier than the planted brackets I had before. I’ve done a ton of seat swaps and this was the most interesting swap.

The following users liked this post:
SimonWGB (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:26 PM
SimonWGB
Track Day

Yes it was fun to say the least 😉. Would I do it again yes because even though it was a pain the seats are night and day over the stock seats.

Your seats look great. The planted bases were challenging and I ended up getting the seatbelt anchor bracket moved and rewelded to resolve the issues I was having.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:57 PM
Nyeguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the pictures! I had a set of CS in a 964 quite a few years ago and loved the support. Have been thinking about a set for my current Boxster. Happy to see it has been done. Can you talk about more details on the challenge to fit them in your Boxster?
Old 09-28-2020, 02:29 PM
placer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These. Look. Awesome.
I was thinking of spending on new wheels, but these look much more worthwhile.
Simon: regarding the fit, I have a hard time fitting in some of the more narrow seats out there (the Recaros in the Focus ST come to mind). Are these just for the more svelte members of the car community?
Old 10-01-2020, 12:30 PM
SimonWGB
Track Day

Originally Posted by placer
These. Look. Awesome.
I was thinking of spending on new wheels, but these look much more worthwhile.
Simon: regarding the fit, I have a hard time fitting in some of the more narrow seats out there (the Recaros in the Focus ST come to mind). Are these just for the more svelte members of the car community?
Thanks I appreciate the kind comments. I had read somewhere that these seats are suitable for up to a 36" waist, I am a 34" waist and still have plenty of room. The width of the seat base between the side bolsters i.e. the flat centre section is 315mm if that helps at all? Thanks
Al Allen (11-21-2021)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 PM
SimonWGB
Track Day

Originally Posted by Nyeguy
Thank you for the pictures! I had a set of CS in a 964 quite a few years ago and loved the support. Have been thinking about a set for my current Boxster. Happy to see it has been done. Can you talk about more details on the challenge to fit them in your Boxster?
Thanks, the challenge, well it was third time lucky to get them fitted. First issue was fitting the sliders to the planted base frame with the seats attached. All guides I had read said to put the bolt heads inside the slider rails and then the nuts underneath the planted base frame. This would have been fine but due to the L bracket for the seat belt receptacle attached the the base frame there wasn’t enough clearance to slide the seat either way to gain access to the bolt heads. Solution the nuts just fitted inside the slider rails and due to the width of the rails this held the nuts nicely to put the bolts through the base frame and tighten them the other way round. Seems simple but this took a while to figure out. Second attempt, found that something on the bottom of the seat itself was catching on the sliders when the seat was slid backwards. Solution I purchased thick 5mm washers to place between the seats and the sliders. Next problem for the seats was once in the car, due to the L bracket on the base frame again you could only slide the seat about 2 inches forward which meant it was impossible to gain access to the rear floor bolts to secure the seats to the floor pan. Solution, I had a local fabricator move the L brackets forward by about an inch and reweld them. Final problem, the design of the planted base frame means that you can’t reuse the e12 torx bolts for the rear floor pan mounts as the socket can’t gain access so I had to buy some high tensile standard bolts instead and tighten them with a spanner. Slight downside the bolts were a tough job on all corners as the threads inside the captive nuts inside the floor plans were not in the best condition and fought us all the way. Got sorted eventually but this was a tough project. I love my 986 but it always seems to put up a fight lol.

Here are a few photos showing the modifications to the L bracket on the planted seat base:

Last edited by SimonWGB; 10-01-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:28 PM
Team_Zissou
2nd Gear

Seats (and car) look great, sounds like a hassle to install for sure but nice job.
This is very intriguing as I too have been looking to replace my 2000 S stock seats. My main issue is that I feel like I'm sitting on the stock seats instead of in them, looks like these would solve that problem. Also curious if they sit lower in the car and by how much? I'd love to gain 2+ inches of headroom, mostly to see stop lights better without have to crouch or turn my head. It also appears the Ricaros backrest is thinner than the stock seats, if so, does this allow the seats to sit further back towards the firewall?
Any insight you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!!
Al Allen (11-21-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:44 PM
SimonWGB
Track Day

Originally Posted by Team_Zissou
Seats (and car) look great, sounds like a hassle to install for sure but nice job.
This is very intriguing as I too have been looking to replace my 2000 S stock seats. My main issue is that I feel like I'm sitting on the stock seats instead of in them, looks like these would solve that problem. Also curious if they sit lower in the car and by how much? I'd love to gain 2+ inches of headroom, mostly to see stop lights better without have to crouch or turn my head. It also appears the Ricaros backrest is thinner than the stock seats, if so, does this allow the seats to sit further back towards the firewall?
Any insight you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!!
Thanks, for me they are so much better than the stock seats were and I think they do also sit a little lower as they aren’t as thick as the stock seat bases. Yes the thinner back does allow them to sit back a little further too. The only slight downside which doesn’t bother me is because I have the seat all the way back it I want to turn the side adjuster **** to adjust the seat back angle I need to slide the seat forward slightly to adjust the back and then move the seat back again. Great seats overall having lived with them for a while now, incredibly supportive and comfortable too. Hope this helps
Al Allen (11-21-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 07:58 PM
Team_Zissou
2nd Gear

Great, thanks!
Old 10-15-2021, 09:14 AM
Van914
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have here in my 2000S. BK brackets work well with the Recaro mounts. I had the Planted brackets before. They are a pain to mount. Great seats very comfortable and hold you in. I’m 6’ with a larger waist than I would like to admit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Van914:
Al Allen (11-21-2021), ruth (05-02-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 09:46 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Good thread on these seats. I have a former track car 996 (hopefully not intruding here) that I’m swapping out fixed back Corbeaus. I’m doing custom leather at about $1000 each in labor & materials over the cost of the seats. Having a hard time reconciling a $2200 difference in the factory Recaro CS over, let’s say, a set of Corbeau RRS.

The fit & finish of the Recaro, I understand, is the best. Which causes me to fear that if get the CS, I won’t follow through with the custom leather. Are the Recaro chairs themselves worth so much more $$$? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I like the base GT3 'Sport' seats I put in my 2000 Boxster "S"
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 AM
jonstar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks stunning, I've had these seats before, they are mega comfortable and supportive. Probably the best road car seats I've used.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:56 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

Bump of an old thread.

I'm looking for any updates on which brackets/bases to be best used for ease of installation and if anyone has used these on longer drives over 6 hours? Has anyone tried these on track days? Looking for feedback on overall experiences on comfort. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New seats - Recaro Sportster CS