Sponsored by:

Wanna purchase a BOXSTER!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wanna purchase a BOXSTER!

Looking for a used BOXSTER for my collegian daughter. AUTO transmission to start, clean and relatively low maintenance for me LOL. What year is best and how much can I expect to pay.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by dgetz993
LOL. What year is best and how much can I expect to pay.
2020 with a warranty. $59K+
Old 10-13-2020, 01:56 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Looking for a used BOXSTER for my collegian daughter. AUTO transmission to start, clean and relatively low maintenance for me LOL. What year is best and how much can I expect to pay.
That's exactly the car I bought for my Daughter: an '01 Boxster with Tiptronic at 110k. I paid around $6500 for it a couple years ago.

My recommendation is to stay with an early 986 that has at least 100k miles. Don't be afraid of higher miles on these cars. Fewer miles indicate a car that hasn't been driven enough; these cars like to be driven. They'll last forever with proper maintenance. I just sold on a Boxster with 190k miles, and it was running fine.

Maintenance can be expensive, unless you DIY or have a good independent mechanic. I have both, so I find Boxster ownership to be reasonably priced. Parts are plentiful and you can do pretty much anything you need to do in your driveway with hand tools. But these cars are RUGGED. They're basically made of 911 parts, so they're understressed in this platform. These cars will take a beating and ask for more.

The hardest part of your search is going to be finding a Tiptronic car. They're rare. But they're also not desirable, so they don't command a price premium. I drove my Daughter's Tip car for a couple months as my daily (I bought it while I was at Fort Sill for a school and drove it home), and the Tiptronic is a fine transmission. I've had zero problems with it and it's fine to drive around.

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
That's exactly the car I bought for my Daughter: an '01 Boxster with Tiptronic at 110k. I paid around $6500 for it a couple years ago.

My recommendation is to stay with an early 986 that has at least 100k miles. Don't be afraid of higher miles on these cars. Fewer miles indicate a car that hasn't been driven enough; these cars like to be driven. They'll last forever with proper maintenance. I just sold on a Boxster with 190k miles, and it was running fine.

Maintenance can be expensive, unless you DIY or have a good independent mechanic. I have both, so I find Boxster ownership to be reasonably priced. Parts are plentiful and you can do pretty much anything you need to do in your driveway with hand tools. But these cars are RUGGED. They're basically made of 911 parts, so they're understressed in this platform. These cars will take a beating and ask for more.

The hardest part of your search is going to be finding a Tiptronic car. They're rare. But they're also not desirable, so they don't command a price premium. I drove my Daughter's Tip car for a couple months as my daily (I bought it while I was at Fort Sill for a school and drove it home), and the Tiptronic is a fine transmission. I've had zero problems with it and it's fine to drive around.

Good luck with your search!
Great feedback, thanks for the encouragement. I am a willing to DIY and get hands messy!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:58 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Great feedback, thanks for the encouragement. I am a willing to DIY and get hands messy!
Then you're going to love the Boxster. Porsche did an amazing job with the engineering and they're enjoyable to work on.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I agree its a great choice, and I love the Tiptronic in this car. Buy on condition, facelift if possible because of the glass rear window and glovebox. The 2.7 is a bit more effortless as you might imagine. I also agree that you need to be a capable DIY mechanic as these cars can get uneconomically viable very quickly otherwise.

Best of luck!

Berni

Old 10-23-2020, 11:19 AM
boxster newbie
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with shawn,s assesment and advice. my first boxster , a 97 base, has 260,000 ks, and is going to my son. i know have an 05 base, with 100,000 ks on a rebuilt motor . rennlist, and pelican, and their support and forums, have been a huge help. great people and advice.
The following users liked this post:
bryan smith (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:01 AM
bryan smith
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a 2002 base 2.7

I have a base model boxster 2.7 2002 it has 69,000 miles on it and it does have the tiptronic if you're interested.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:39 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Year to year model differences https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...eardifferences

I'd look for a '99 as it is improved from the earliest by 2 years of improvements yet is not of the immediately later years with the suspect IMS that can be very expensive.

Owned 2, loved them.

Quick Reply: Wanna purchase a BOXSTER!