Sponsored by:

Newby Here 987 motor into a 986

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 01:08 AM
Klink
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newby Here 987 motor into a 986

I have lurked here a long time. Learned a lot. Here's a little recent history.........2007 Cayman S into a 2003 Boxster S. Ten year project. Really long story I won't boar you with. Four months ago I decided (with a little nudging) to make "Frankenstein" run myself. Prior to then it was in a couple of shops for five out of the ten years. So plan was to install Cayman engine harness and DME to get it to run. Bought both and installed the harness. Worked on cars all my life. Rebuilt engines, transmissions, ya dee ya. Done a couple of 914's but never worked on a six. What a fantastic learning experience! So got the harness in. Learned to repin the DME. Had a Boxter DME in it. I thought what the heck, I'll re wire the chasis plugs and see if it fires. It did and ran just as bad as it did before. So plan was to send it to a shop and install Cayman DME. On a whim I called Scott at Softronics. He basically said you have the right DME in it. I sent him all the P/Ns of the MAF, TB, Inectors etc. He looked at it and said yep that should work. So he sent me the OBD cable (after I ponied up the money) and I sent him a read on the DME. He said he needed to replace files so I had to send it to him. Two days to get there and two days back. CA to CT to CA. I bought the 987/986 Conversion Performance software. So I put it in and it runs much better but it still throws codes. (Cayman Injectors) Scott starts sending me flashes to lean it up. Fifteen minutes after talking to him on the phone. Nice! Anyway, about the third flash brought it into range. Put over a hundred miles on it and it still had three I/Ms not ready. Drove a "quasi" drive cycle today and all I/ms are ready. It gets smogged tomorrow. Obviously if I had called Scott many years ago I would have saved myself a lot of grief and $$. It has been a hard road for ten years. What I'm getting at is Softronics is great source of information and software. Great follow up work with the flashes to get it right. Oh, and how does it run? Like a new car off the showroom floor....but faster! Hah! I did have some other help with this.....Thank You Jesus!
The following 2 users liked this post by Klink:
HETPE3B (10-28-2020), Shawn Stanford (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:42 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Well done! Did you also have to change the alarm module, or did you code the Boxster alarm to the Cayman DME?

Glad its running well!

All the best

Berni
Old 10-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Klink
7th Gear

Default Reply

Actually I ended up using the Boxster DME. It was a total mess. One of the shops it was in programmed it with a Japanese tune with no emissions. LOL! Softronics loaded all new files in to it. So by using the existing DME all the alarm, immobilizer etc. Worked right off the bat. I learned the Cayman DME is a different can bus system so it would not have worked. Only thing that will not work with this is the extra intake air valve that compliments the resonance valve in the crossover tube.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Klink
7th Gear

Oh, and it passed smog today with flying colors!
Old 10-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Klink
Oh, and it passed smog today with flying colors!
Im glad Softronic could help you finally get this project done. We do have the most knowledge in engine conversions for a reason .

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Klink
7th Gear

I can't thank you enough Scott. Could not have done it without your help!

Quick Reply: Newby Here 987 motor into a 986