Intro and a few questions: New-to-me '04 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 12:21 PM
noofus
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intro and a few questions: New-to-me '04 S

Hello there!

As you can see by my profile, I registered for this website a LONG time ago when I was only dreaming of being able to afford a Porsche. Yet, until today I have never posted. Last weekend I picked up a 2004 Boxster S with 86k on it and it has be grinning from ear to ear every time I have gotten in.

The place I got it from certified that the IMS was replaced, so I am not worried about that.

It does seem to be exhibiting the 2nd gear popout issue that I see is prevalent - I took it back to the place I got it from and they concur with what I have been reading here. They will be fixing it next week. I think they plan to attempt installing the detent. Anyway, if whatever they do doesn't fix the problem I'll be asking for more guidance here.

Anyway - the car is clearly a bit dated being from 2004. It even predates smartphones, which at least to me are a modern requirement. My other car is a 2021 BMW X3 M40i. So I am used to "modern amenities". I don't need Apple Car Play, but it would be very nice if I could at least have bluetooth integration so I can play music off my phone. For now I kludged this by getting a bluetooth to FM transmitter, but I would prefer a new head unit. Is there any special head unit I need to look at or would any old bluetooth enabled unit do? Given the location of the cup holders blocking the climate control, and all that, I don't see a good reason to try to install something with a modern screen. So I would be fine with a single DIN unit.

Next... using a key to start the car seems so horribly anachronistic. Does anyone replace the key with a push button? Is that a common upgrade? I would love to go with a push button starter like every other car I have had over the last 10yrs.

The gear shifter is quite... long... I used to have a 2003 and a 2016 Miata, where the stock gear shifter is quite short and the shifts are quick. What is the general deal with installing a short throw on these? Is that a common thing?

The interior is in great shape - but it also just feels old. I wouldn't mind replacing some of the dash parts. I can see myself slowly updating this car to be a more modern experience.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:53 AM
Andy804
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations! And I hope the detent will solve the issue. Now I'm not in any way familiar with head units or push button starters on these cars but I do know of two Porsche factory options for your gear shifter. Suncoast sells both the factory short shift kit as well as the 997 shift kit that you can install on the 986 (https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...NGTRAN480.html). I came from a 2011 Miata before my Boxster and I know what you mean about the shifts. I actually got used to the shift length over time so I haven't done anything about it. Personally, if I were to upgrade the shifter, I would go with the 997 shift kit because I have a 997 and I like the shift lengths in that car. I also had a short shift kit in a Spec Boxster race car I had but always thought it was too short and notchy. It's all going to personal preference. I'm sure someone will say the short shift kit is worth it and are perfectly happy with it. Again, congratulations and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-12-2021, 11:43 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Shifting in any Porsche will never be like in a Miata. Owned many of both. Even the 997 short shifter mentioned above is not like the Miata. Miata & S2000 have some of the shortest shifts you will ever find.

Audio - As you point out, it pre-dates some smartphones. If you want BT you will have to install an aftermarket system. Myself personally, I would never put any drink in the cup holder above the radio. Bad design putting it there and was done cause us American's want cup holders. Many options, best to search on this topic. Be warned though, many retailers do not have stock. Pandemic has hit car audio hard. Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood have all said they do not expect inventory to return to normal levels until late 2022. Depending on what you have already will determine what path you can take and how much work is involved in replacing.

Push button - While you could do some kind of DIY, you need to understand how Porsche keys & immobilizer work. Best to search on it and read through many topics. Short version is that you would have to embed the immobilizer pill in the push button which means anyone could just get in the car and drive it away....without the key.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:09 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

The more torque the engine has the bigger & heavier the gears have to be. The 6-speed is adapted from The 996 & the gears are a bit over heavy for the job that's why 1st to 2nd is hardest.

Quick Reply: Intro and a few questions: New-to-me '04 S