Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling off cylinder head advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drilling off cylinder head advice needed.

Well I've tried using the T50 torx plus on the head bolts and all I did was either strip out bolts or break the torx. So does anyone have any experience with drilling the head bolts out?
If so are there any suggestions on type of drill bit and size? I been using a bit just for metal and it's 1/2 inch. It covers the diameter of the part of the head of the bolt that the socket goes into however I've been through two of them, took me 3 hours and it's still technically not done yet.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:57 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

are you using chome sockets and/or an impact tool? If so that explains why. What brand sockets are you using? Get a good set of impact sockets & impact tool and you shouldn't have any issues removing them.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:16 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stl_986
are you using chome sockets and/or an impact tool? If so that explains why. What brand sockets are you using? Get a good set of impact sockets & impact tool and you shouldn't have any issues removing them.
I was not using any impact tool, that isnt currently an option.. best I have is a 1/2 in breaker bar and the cobalt brand t50s. Regardless, getting them out the intended way is no longer an option and I have to drill them out.

Do you have suggestion on drill bit size?
Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

Sometimes a impact is the right tool for the job, turn the air down and let the rattle gun do the work..
Those are not soft bolt, I wouldn't try and drill them with anything less than a machinist bit or a tungsten..
If you mess up drilling it,, 1 head will cost more than the compressor, air gun and bits..
Old 09-01-2021, 11:34 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If the sockets are chrome sockets you will do nothing but break them. They aren't made for that kind of torque. Hell some can barely handle the torque of taking off bolts for lawn mower blades, even snap-on branded ones.

Even if you use a breaker bar you need to be using impact grade sockets.
Agree with PDX - You are going to need serious drill bits to drill those out. Might want to call around to some machine shops in the area and see what they would charge to drill them out for you if you take the engine to them. Doubt a cordless drill & any drill bills from the hardware store are going to get them out.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:29 PM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Confused Turtle
Well I've tried using the T50 torx plus on the head bolts and all I did was either strip out bolts or break the torx. So does anyone have any experience with drilling the head bolts out?
If so are there any suggestions on type of drill bit and size? I been using a bit just for metal and it's 1/2 inch. It covers the diameter of the part of the head of the bolt that the socket goes into however I've been through two of them, took me 3 hours and it's still technically not done yet.
get a quality set of stripped bolt removal sockets (I would suggest snap-on or cornwell). I had the same problem broke 7 different t50 sockets including 2 snap-on and I took my block to a machine shop, he looked at it while still in the bed of my truck and grabbed his snap on bolt extractor of the correct size and had it out in 10 seconds. Charged me $5.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Snap-On there really is a difference !
Old 09-26-2021, 03:28 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

I've got a not so fortunate update. I managed to drill the heads of the cylinder head bolts but the cylinder head is still firmly stuck to engine case. I'm not sure where to go from this point. The only thing i can think of is try and use a bolt extractor kit. Maybe it will come out easier now that there isnt the pressure from the head? I heard it pop every time i successfully drilled off one of the bolt heads but this thing is stubborn.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:42 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Use a hard rubber or plastic faced mallet and give the head a few taps/raps (easy, there are some pretty thin spots) close to where the head meets the block. After years of being torqued down they can stick to the gaskets pretty well - who knows, someone may have used sealant as too . There should be a “boss” or tab where you can insert a pry bar to gain a little leverage...
Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 PM
Dtex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a little late on this one, but you could use a construction type blow heater to bring the head assemble up to temp and it may free up that gunk around the now studs.

Last edited by Dtex; 10-17-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Drilling off cylinder head advice needed.