Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought a Boxster S and boy do I hate it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 09:18 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default So I bought a Boxster S and boy do I hate it!

Great car...unless you care about things like solid engineering and average build quality. I mean this car has more issues than....well, more issues than any person I've ever known. So this will be an angry build thread with lots of complaining and rants.
Ok, so I got it cheap but it's in pretty good condition although high mileage at 160k miles. I just drove it from LA to Nashville to see mom and use her garage to get it in good shape so I don't have to worry about any of the 50 things that can instantly kill it or maybe just cost you $5000 and up.
And that's before even thinking about the IMS bearing which I will get too....maybe...

First thing is that I bought it with the transmission popping out of 2nd gear like they do (Known Issue #2,654) but I called GBox and they explained that their 2nd gear detent fix should cure my problems. So I ordered one and thought I'd quickly install it to see if my 6 speed would be able to live on. Well, as usual, things didn't go as planned. The 8mm Allen plug cover came off easily enough after heating it up quite a bit; and that was my biggest worry, that it would be too inaccessible and too tight and/or well sealed. So when that came off easily, I thought I'm almost driving my new 986S around and in 2nd gear no less! But using a magnet to pull the old detent out didn't work. So I called GBox and they told me to get an Easy Out which I did, threaded it in and nope, that friggin thing is solid! So now I'm about to give up and just go ahead and remove the transmission except that this car scares me. And this after years of 944 turbos and Alfa Romeos, which definitely have their issues but nothing compared to the 986. I mean shouldn't Porsche have evolved and gotten better at building cars? Are the current models this hampered with problems? Definitely makes me think twice of ever buying a newer model....

Ok, I'll go try the detent once more...And that's another thing, why does it even have this part? Not all transmissions have them and if 2nd has one, what about the other gears? Or did Porsche/Getrag just want to engineer in major problems in case the IMS, AOS, oil leaks, or other 5,478 problems didn't get you?

The other problem that came up on the trip is an oil leak. Or an oil leak and a power steering leak. Still trying to track down which is more severe, maybe they're competing so the Porsche engineers will reward them with smiles and schnitzel!
(They really should have put a water-cooled flat 6 in the 944 and given it the power it needed and deserved...only one without the ridiculous IMS bearing that they went with on the 986.)

Ok, this car does handle amazingly and the instant power/torque is great fun, not to mention the sound of that engine-Mine has a Borla exhaust! Gearing is strange although I can't place why. Accelerator pedal is way too stiff, both for comfort and ability to modulate. Brakes are the best thing about the car; they are truly incredible. Seats are too high, steering wheel too low. Steering is wonderful, great feel and the ability to micro adjust in the middle of a curve and to place the car exactly where you want to. This is new to me as my other cars are all 70's and 80's cars and there's always a bit of pre-steering required before the car takes set and hooks up. Even with 200wear rating tires! But the Boxster just hunkers down and grips and then readjusts when you need it, even with the crappy Hankook tires it came with. It almost doesn't need sticky tires although I am curious to feel what it's like with some Michelin Pilot 4S's.

It's too bad we must spend all these hours and hours and hours and also thousands and thousands of dollars just to keep them from imploding.

Oh, I wish I could afford an Alfa 4C...with a manual...which they don't make....but it's my dream so lay off!

Hmmm, wonder if an Alfa 3.2 24 valve V6 would fit in the Boxster...?

Last edited by superloaf; 10-13-2021 at 09:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-10-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:25 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Hmmm, strange rant... sounds like you really like the car when you put aside a couple of minor (?) problems. You drove a 20 year old car across the country and found 2 fluid leaks, thats not so bad. I've never had the second gear problem so that may be worrisome. Don't panic about the IMSB, I have checked 3 IMSBs on MY 2000 engines and all three were fine. Two I left in place after removing the bearing seal and the third I am still thinking about. Check the oil filter for debris and get a Dynametric on it to check the cam deviations.

The car should not scare you in terms of working on it. I had a 924S and the Boxster is no harder to wrench, changing the clutch on a Boxster is a lot easier in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by elgy:
MyPorscheIsSlow (10-19-2021), ray durant (12-21-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 05:55 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Superloaf, if we are going to rant in this life, it may as well be about a Porsche! I suspect you are going to rant all through your journey to a well sorted Boxster S, well played. BTW, as a former Alfisti I always had a yen for one of those 4 cam/4valve V-6s. I had a GTV-6 but that was sohc/2valve, but it was still sweet!
Old 10-14-2021, 12:33 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

So you bought a used 20 year old car and it has obviously not been taken care of.....and that is an engineering issue because....? Owned several 944/951's and these are a dream compared to them. Of the issues you have so far, they are 2 of the most common issues. RMS is a common issue on virtually ANY car.
ray durant (12-21-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Weazer
Superloaf, if we are going to rant in this life, it may as well be about a Porsche! I suspect you are going to rant all through your journey to a well sorted Boxster S, well played. BTW, as a former Alfisti I always had a yen for one of those 4 cam/4valve V-6s. I had a GTV-6 but that was sohc/2valve, but it was still sweet!
Ha, you get me as you've experienced Italian car love! They really are better than any other cars despite the issues. I have a Milano beater that I love. They just need more power but that goes for most cars from that era.

Originally Posted by stl_986
So you bought a used 20 year old car and it has obviously not been taken care of.....and that is an engineering issue because....? Owned several 944/951's and these are a dream compared to them. Of the issues you have so far, they are 2 of the most common issues. RMS is a common issue on virtually ANY car.
I've owned many Alfas, VW's, Porsches and never ever had to replace a RMS. All these cars went well over 100,000 miles. And a RMS leak isn't a deal breaker but 986's have an issue with the crankcase being not machined properly and as a result, the RMS leaks and leaks and leaks.

Originally Posted by elgy
Hmmm, strange rant... sounds like you really like the car when you put aside a couple of minor (?) problems. You drove a 20 year old car across the country and found 2 fluid leaks, thats not so bad. I've never had the second gear problem so that may be worrisome. Don't panic about the IMSB, I have checked 3 IMSBs on MY 2000 engines and all three were fine. Two I left in place after removing the bearing seal and the third I am still thinking about. Check the oil filter for debris and get a Dynametric on it to check the cam deviations.

The car should not scare you in terms of working on it. I had a 924S and the Boxster is no harder to wrench, changing the clutch on a Boxster is a lot easier in my opinion.
And what I didn't tell you is I've driven my 944 turbo on this same cross country trip twice. And never a single problem. Oh, wait, last time the ignition switch broke so I couldn't turn it off without letting the clutch out with the brakes on and stalling it. And it has 160k miles.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I love the Boxster but it's a car that can self destruct at any time. Or break down and cause us multi thousands of dollars in repairs. I'm just saying Porsche should have built it better. However, I've been ranting to friends and shops and from what I hear, the current Porsches aren't much better. I have a friend who bought a 991 Carrera targa and her brakes lasted 4000 miles. The quote for renewal was unbelievable, I want to say around $2000. I mean if I bought a $160,000 sports car and the brakes were dead at 4000 miles, I would be screaming. That is not acceptable. Can you imagine wearing down your brakes and rotors in 4000 miles? How is that possible even on the track? Of course, she only drives in the city and no track time.

I'm only questioning Porsche's engineering ethic as if I were the dealer and someone killed their brakes in 4000 miles, I would think something is wrong and replace them under warranty.
If something is crappy and I come across it, I'm going to say so, even if it is a brand I've spent my entire life admiring and worshipping. I've loved Porsches ever since I can remember and after owning a few lower level models (944's, 951's) I only assumed that any Porsche coming later would be better engineered and better built. I no longer believe that to be true.

UPDATE on my 2nd gear detent: So I described my 2nd gear issue to 2 guys at GBox and they both said their detent would fix my problem. Well, after attempting the install, I found my OEM detent would not come out. GBox told me to use an Easy Out. So I tried that but it wouldn't budge. I applied heat and got it to move about half an inch up and down but it still wouldn't come out. And then the Easy Out kept slipping out so when trying to tighten it in more, I heard a pop and the easy out went loose. Using a mirror to see into the transmission and detent, I saw that the detent was cracked and now not going to come out. So now out comes the tranny and not knowing if it's even going to be useable as now GBox is saying they think it needs new pinions and a 2nd gear.
Yeah, hundreds of thousands of miles on other cars and never needed new pinions. GBox says they only last 70,000 miles and it's a $2800 repair! My 951 did have a second gear problem and needed a new transmission which was less than $500 for a used one. And since these cars don't have transmission problems normally, buying a used one was not such a risk and it's lasted another 70,000 miles so far. Really wish I had bought a 964 when they were affordable...

Oh, and driving my 951 today after the boxster made it feel like such a better car than I remember. I always thought it difficult to drive but after the boxster, it's a joy. They sort of compliment each other in that they are so different and yet similar. The biggest difference is that the 951 feels much lighter. It just leaps forward and reacts quicker in accelerating. The boxster feels heavier and more daunting even though they weigh the same. Of course, my boxster has an unusable 2nd gear so it's not a fair comparison. They both handle very well but the boxster is definitely more stable and maneuverable especially in the steering. It's so easy to micro adjust the steering midway through a curve. The 951 has manual steering so the steering is more difficult although I had an issue with the coilovers binding and added thrust bearings today to allow the spring to rotate without binding. Also, my upper spring hats were binding against the upper strut bushing so I added washers to allow clearance. As a result, the steering is much nicer and was actually reminding me of the boxster in the way it feels now.

Anyway, life is complex and sports cars even moreso but if you don't think 986's have more problems than average when compared to any car 20 years old, you've got your head in the sand. And someday when I meet a Porsche executive somewhere, he's going to hear about it and wish he had made better decisions....

Last edited by superloaf; 10-15-2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:10 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
Guys, don't get me wrong. I love the Boxster but it's a car that can self destruct at any time.
How is this any different then ANY car of ANY age or mileage?

Have owned over a dozen Pcars over the years and I find the 986 no different then any 924, 928, 944, 951, 964 or 911....or even a Ford, BMW, Jeep or even an RSR.

If you think these cars are engineered badly, go talk to a guy who has a 944 S2 that has to get a new head (cause he wont be able to even find one even used).

If I had any car that the brakes went out at 4000 miles it would be going to the dealer for warranty work to be done and I wouldn't be spending any money. That is, if the brakes were in fact bad. $2k for brakes at a dealer in cheap. Go and price ceramic disc's yourself and see how expensive they are.

Pick a car, any car, and there will be flaws with them. Just that simple.
ray durant (12-21-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:41 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

I had a 2000 Boxsters S for 3 years, from 28,000 miles to 44,000 miles and it was brilliant. I had to replace the fuel pump ($600) and a door micro switch ($400), but it was otherwise like a new car and I had no issues.

I had a 2003 Mini Cooper S for 2 years, from 112,000 miles to 125,000 Mike’s that was a piece of junk. It has 14 things wrong with it:- Intermittent drivers side Xenon headlight doesn't come on when it's raining or cold

- Drivers side window motor doesn't come down

- Leaking Coolant tank reservoir replacment

- Rear wiper washes doesn't work
- Sunroof doesn't work
- Randomly, rarely occassionally accelerators with a chritmas tree dashboard
- Glovebox opens by itself on large bumps
- Air conditioning is not the best
- Rust on the back due to decklid but also due to failed drivers side rear brake light cluster seal
- Radio turns off by iteself every 18.5 minutes
- Raido won't turn on if it's already off for a longer period of time. Will not turn back on unless you turn the car off for a longer period of time
- leaks oil or burns oil
(valve cover gasket)
- dash lights for HVAC conrols are intermittently and/or partially working

Sometimes it’s just luck. Other times, it’s buying a well-used car
ray durant (12-21-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 07:05 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

So apparently modern cars are crap! Before this Boxster, my newest car ever is an 87 Alfa Milano and an 87 16v Scirocco. I just assumed quality and strength of engineering had progressed as it should have but obviously I was wrong from what I've read here and from what friends have told me. It's a shame because customers and car companies should not put up with this. They test the hell out of cars these days so why do they have all the problems?

Well, traveling right now for work, currently in Raleigh and enjoying time away from the beaster. Raleigh is a beautiful city! Anyway, I'm really missing driving around in the Boxster; I do love drivinrg that car! Hopefully, I can save it and enjoy it.

$600 for a fuel pump? Really? Ridiculous. And none of those problems with the Mini were in danger of sacrificing an engine or of bankrupting you. As a questionable car lover (Alfas, Sciroccos, etc.) I can forgive any problem that doesn't ruin the car; cars break and wear out. Back in the 944, 964 days, if a part failed and failed, Porsche would update it so that by the time you bought a used model, it was long ago corrected and strengthened. I guess that's no longer much of a priority. I'm sure they still do it but when I'm told pinions last 70k, and clutches can last only 30k, and IMS bearings and AOSs are expendables, 2nd gears are practically the same, something is very wrong.

Oh, and the 991 with the sketchy brakes doesn't have ceramic discs and the dealer quoted her the price with no mention of there being a problem. She was asking me if that was normal to which I said I couldn't imagine Porsche designing anything like that. Oh, had I known then what I know now....

Oh, but I do love driving that car....Maybe someday I can say I actually love the car!
Old 10-15-2021, 08:14 PM
Al Allen
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default You’ve survived 944 Turbos!

Having had about 20 Alfa Romeos, I-4, I-6, and V-6 engines, from the 1960s on, I applaud you for your abilities to keep up with the 944 Turbo problems! On track days with the Alfa club, some would bring their very fast 944 Turbos to the track and the nightmarish hose situation on those cars would astound Alfisti pro mechanics!

The 986 Boxster is a “new” car in my fleet which ends at 2004, and I find its handling and open-air fun to be its redeeming quality, despite mechanical engineering issues. Aside from the 914, which I also have, Porsches have always had wonderful brakes. With an upgraded stereo/navigation system and a 3.6 L engine of 350-400 hp, it would be a perfect car and a lot more satisfying than many exotics.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf;[url=tel:17727612
17727612[/url]]So apparently modern cars are crap! Before this Boxster, my newest car ever is an 87 Alfa Milano and an 87 16v Scirocco. I just assumed quality and strength of engineering had progressed as it should have but obviously I was wrong from what I've read here and from what friends have told me. It's a shame because customers and car companies should not put up with this. They test the hell out of cars these days so why do they have all the problems?

Well, traveling right now for work, currently in Raleigh and enjoying time away from the beaster. Raleigh is a beautiful city! Anyway, I'm really missing driving around in the Boxster; I do love drivinrg that car! Hopefully, I can save it and enjoy it.

$600 for a fuel pump? Really? Ridiculous. And none of those problems with the Mini were in danger of sacrificing an engine or of bankrupting you. As a questionable car lover (Alfas, Sciroccos, etc.) I can forgive any problem that doesn't ruin the car; cars break and wear out. Back in the 944, 964 days, if a part failed and failed, Porsche would update it so that by the time you bought a used model, it was long ago corrected and strengthened. I guess that's no longer much of a priority. I'm sure they still do it but when I'm told pinions last 70k, and clutches can last only 30k, and IMS bearings and AOSs are expendables, 2nd gears are practically the same, something is very wrong.

Oh, and the 991 with the sketchy brakes doesn't have ceramic discs and the dealer quoted her the price with no mention of there being a problem. She was asking me if that was normal to which I said I couldn't imagine Porsche designing anything like that. Oh, had I known then what I know now....

Oh, but I do love driving that car....Maybe someday I can say I actually love the car!
Modern cars have actually become quite reliable. Even American made cars and Italian cars, lol. Depends on the brand and what model. Simple models like a BMW 125 with no-frills have less stuff to break.

Clutches and 2nd gear issues are mostly totally avoidable. We have to drive these cars deliberately and you won’t have to replace a clutch or 2nd gear for a long time or ever.

Porsche does indeed update parts and design on their cars often. It’s when they make mistakes that cause the most issues.

But I hear you. The IMSB, bore scoring, and other issues that can cost 5-figures are not really what anyone wants.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Gee. You bought a twenty year old car and expect it to be perfect. Maybe the buying thought process is the problem.

Even new cars can have problems. And, as they have become more complex, they are liable to be more electronic or coding problems than mechanical. In the last 20 years, my 3 non-Porsche cars have had 1, 1 and 3 recall level issues. Of the 5, only 4 affected me. Just got a recall in the mail today. fuel pump.
ray durant (12-21-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 12:52 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Gee. You bought a twenty year old car and expect it to be perfect. Maybe the buying thought process is the problem.

Even new cars can have problems. And, as they have become more complex, they are liable to be more electronic or coding problems than mechanical. In the last 20 years, my 3 non-Porsche cars have had 1, 1 and 3 recall level issues. Of the 5, only 4 affected me. Just got a recall in the mail today. fuel pump.
I didn't expect it to be perfect and I did know the risks but Porsche experts said, "Don't listen to the internet!" Well, they are idiots!
I don't expect perfection. What I do expect is fifteen years of evolution over my 944 turbo. Is that so wrong? And a bit more reliability. Or at least nothing that will cost more than the car is worth to fix.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Dtex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So I am new to this forum and new to the 2000 boxster I just bought. I bought this car INOP. I have found it to be quite easy and cheap to repair. I repair heavy equipment for a living, so my perception of expensive may be skewed. I have a Ford Super duty with the 6.0 , a cam follower failed , took out the cam shaft, the needle bearings made it up the pickup tube and wiped out the low and high pressure oil systems. Anyway cost close to 9k to rebuild with no labor as I did all that myself. But I love that engine , no other ford diesel even comes close . I have had customers say" this damn machine is going to break me " . No, you are going to break you with the way you beat that machine and perform no maintenance. Point being machines break esp when they don't get any love along the way. With that being said , I plan to drive this car to it's potential till it blows and at that point I will fix or part it. My son and took it out today on some curvy roads and had a blast. Don't think you can get any other car of this caliber for $3500 . I can add something to your rant , the unwrapped wiring harnesses make no sense to me. However,it might make it easier to find where the wire has rubbed to ground .
Mike Murphy (10-18-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 05:29 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

But it only has 160,000 miles !
Al Allen (11-29-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 09:05 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Huh. My experience with my Boxsters has been excellent. I bought my first with 160k on the clock and sold it on with 190k a couple years later. The only repairs it needed while I had it were wheel bearings. I drove that thing hard, year-round, rain or shine. I even had it on the track a couple times.

My current Boxster - which is my daughter's driver - was purchased in Oklahoma with 110k on it. It had a hard life; I'm the sixth owner. It spent all its time in Florida and Texas, and there were some seriously jankety upgrades and repairs. I did 100k mile stuff, like suspension components, plugs and plug tubes, the AOS, brakes. It has a few small issues, like a nagging power drain that I can't isolate, a worn-out driver's seat, and the window-drop problem that I need to get at. But it's got another 12k miles on it now and it runs like a truck. I'd drive it anywhere without any hesitation. (Of course, I drove a self-maintained '82 928 2,500 miles to Florida and back a few months ago, so I'm obviously not a good judge of what's reasonable.)

The Boxster is probably the best engineered and easiest to maintain car Porsche has ever made. It's really the first modern Porsche. There's very little to go wrong, and what does can normally be fixed in your driveway with hand tools.

I'm sorry you don't like yours.
The following 4 users liked this post by Shawn Stanford:
Al Allen (11-29-2021), ebelizard (12-30-2021), ray durant (12-21-2021), Snakebit (10-30-2021)

Quick Reply: So I bought a Boxster S and boy do I hate it!