Sponsored by:

Need Help Assessing a 2002 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 10:38 AM
Umami_Builds
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help Assessing a 2002 Boxster

Hey guys, I'm very interested in getting a Porsche Boxster from 2002 because I'm moving to California and naturally I need a convertible. I'm looking at a few in my area, and I got a PPI on one. It's got 86,000 miles on it and they're listing it for 11,950. It's had 6 owners and there's consistent carfax up until 2015 with the last owner (put on 10,000 miles in those 7 years), who might have done his own maintenance or brought it somewhere that doesn't report to carfax? Or may have just let it sit. Cosmetically the car is in great shape.

The PPI revealed:
  • Has a significant oil leak that left a spot on the ground of the service center
  • Has cracked ignition coils--maybe related to oil leak?
  • Tires need replacement, and there's a weird wobble that happens over 65 mph
  • Water pump needs replacement
  • Passenger side door window regulator needs replacement
  • Right rear strut is leaking
  • There's a loud creaking from the back of the vehicle over bumps--might be related to strut? Porsche dealer wasn't sure.
  • Brake fluid needs replacement, accessory belt needs replacement
  • It's got that foam in air vents from the heater (i probably would just ignore this)
  • Needs alignment.
Here are the carfax (IDK if this link will work)

I can probably fix some of this stuff (water pump, brake fluid, accessory drive belt, ignition coils) but the oil leak and the wobble may be too much for me. The car DID have the RMS and IMS bearing fixed at 68,000 miles in 2014.

Is this a bad deal and I should go look for something cleaner? I haven't seen dealers with cheaper Boxsters around, and private sellers always seem to have a rebuilt title or "can't drive right now because of small transmission issue".
Old 03-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Umami_Builds
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realizing now this is probably the wrong area to post this, but idk how to make posts in the main forum.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:41 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

• Has a significant oil leak that left a spot on the ground of the service center
    More likely the spark plug tubes are causing the oil leak. Do the coils, plugs, and tubes together. Cheap and easy.

That's a 1 hour DIY job.

I've never done one, but I believe they're kind of a pain in the ***. Not cheap, either.

I've done Boxster struts a couple times. They're a relatively easy repair, but they're kind of expensive. You might as well do the coffin arms and downlinks, too. Figure a full day's DIY and $800-$1,000.

• There's a loud creaking from the back of the vehicle over bumps--might be related to strut? Porsche dealer wasn't sure.
    It's the strut.

Do the belt when you do the water pump.

• It's got that foam in air vents from the heater (i probably would just ignore this)
    Yup.
If it's pretty and it runs well, I'd buy it. The stuff you're describing is normal 100k maintenance.

Last edited by Shawn Stanford; 03-12-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:36 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
    More likely the spark plug tubes are causing the oil leak. Do the coils, plugs, and tubes together. Cheap and easy.

That's a 1 hour DIY job.

I've never done one, but I believe they're kind of a pain in the ***. Not cheap, either.

I've done Boxster struts a couple times. They're a relatively easy repair, but they're kind of expensive. You might as well do the coffin arms and downlinks, too. Figure a full day's DIY and $800-$1,000.

It's the strut.

Do the belt when you do the water pump.

Yup.
If it's pretty and it runs well, I'd buy it. The stuff you're describing is normal 100k maintenance.
I mostly agree with Shawn...
But I have sealed the cracks in my coils with JB weld, almost free as long as the coils still work properly.
I have done a window regulator and it is a pain, but doable. The cost depends on which regulator you buy, Porsche $$$, Uro $$ or ebay cheapo for less than $50. I did the cheapo and it works although it was a bit more work.
http://986forum.com/forums/performan...int-heart.html
Old 03-17-2022, 09:55 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

While you're replacing the water pump... do the motor mount. Easy peasy. There's a bolt on the WP that is easy to access with the motor mount off.

Get a new thermostat, too.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Why not wait to buy a Boxster in California? there will be alot more to choose from there, and no worrying about it braking down on the way there!
The following users liked this post:
ER17 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:06 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

None of the PPI issues are serious for a DIY'ers.
So if addressing those results in an otherwise healthy and good looking Boxster, you will have a really nice Top-down California ride.

But it's also true that if you are patient, you might well come across another 986/987.1 Boxster that's just as beautiful but also in perfect mechanical condition. Of course the price will reflect it.

I acquired a 2005 with 47,000 miles on it (at the time) and needed nothing more than a clutch switch ($17) and a headlight leveling sensor ($37?). I've driven it pretty much daily for a year this month and it's been flawless. Fantastic car. Not a single rattle. Amazing.
It was ~$6000 more than the one you are considering.

The other side of the coin is you could buy the one you are considering and what could $6000 do for it?

I think you win-win either way as long as the drivetrain and paint/body/interior are in good shape.
Shawn Stanford (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 12:28 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

A couple years ago, I bought a well-worn '01 with 110k while I was stationed in Oklahoma. I did some very basic maintenance (CV boots, tires, brakes, thorough cleaning, etc.) and drove it around while I finished the Army school I was attending. The day I left, I loaded all my crap into it (full frunk, full trunk, full passenger seat) and drove 1,500 miles home with absolutely no problems.

These cars a VERY tough and very reliable.
pilot4fn (03-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Need Help Assessing a 2002 Boxster