Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell foam in the A/C vents - How to remedy it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 01:41 PM
boxster_nut
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell foam in the A/C vents - How to remedy it?

Took my 97 Boxster out of winter hibernation this week, turned on the A/C and saw lots of cell foam pieces and 'dust' coming from the discharge vents on the drivers and passengers sides of the cabin. I suppose with age, the foam deteriorated.
My question is where is the foam placed? and how best to replace it?

I did a similar job on my jeep and it was a remove the whole dash approach (Actually I had to replace the heater core and the foam replacement was a secondary reason). Is that what needs to be done here? Where to get replacement foam? Pointers to you tube videos or similar discussions appreciated.
I searched on this forum but didn't find much help
Thanks
J
Old 06-11-2023, 06:47 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a google search, several good videos. You don’t need to remove the dash, just the radio and side trim pieces. Haven’t done it on my 04, but looks pretty straightforward.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:03 PM
boxster_nut
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RL911
Do a google search, several good videos. You don’t need to remove the dash, just the radio and side trim pieces. Haven’t done it on my 04, but looks pretty straightforward.
Thank you. I'll do the google search. In the mean time I did a second search in this forum and found this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ntn-issue.html

Interesting that it was posted in the 996 forum but he did it on a type 986.
What is not clear to me after reading through this is: Is it necessary to have some (extremely small) flow through the vane, which would mean reinstalling some sort of foam, or, block it off completely with Aluminum tape as others have suggested??

If using foam, I wonder what sources are used? One fellow went to Lowes/Home Depot and got some weather stripping foam. Seems to me this would suffer the same sort of break down as the original.
Appreciate the insight. Thanks
Old 06-12-2023, 04:11 AM
Hasdrubal
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't prove it, but I think the holes covered by foam is just typical German over-engineering. Making a complicated solution when a simple one will do just fine. I covered mine with foil tape after watching some of the videos, and have had no problems since.

Seriously, if they needed to have a small amount of flow for some reason, they could have done it with much smaller (uncovered) holes or greater clearance around the edges.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:25 PM
boxster_nut
3rd Gear

Thanks, I tend to agree with you. I'd like to see a picture of a pristine vane with the foam attached.
I am toying with the idea of attaching a spun glass filter with aluminum tape to replace the foam.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Blu...3?N=5yc1vZc4ms
It would not completely block the airflow and may provide enough backpressure that may be needed in the rest of the system. I think I'll decide what to do after I read/watch a few more videos and see what things look like once I have it apart.
What a pain...who would have thunk it?
Old 06-13-2023, 09:29 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster_nut
Thanks, I tend to agree with you. I'd like to see a picture of a pristine vane with the foam attached.
I am toying with the idea of attaching a spun glass filter with aluminum tape to replace the foam.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Blu...3?N=5yc1vZc4ms
It would not completely block the airflow and may provide enough backpressure that may be needed in the rest of the system. I think I'll decide what to do after I read/watch a few more videos and see what things look like once I have it apart.
What a pain...who would have thunk it?
Definately do some MORE reading and watcbjing videos. Also... consider a 986forum dot com. The topic has been covered ad nauseum. Know its aren't going too retype/regurgitate iformation that already exissts. Thus: READ UP.

Now... when you're finished reading... II recommend going in through the radio ot on the center console. The going in from the top... through the frunk... I found aa PITA approach.

Check the other forum. Seek and you find.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Cell foam in the A/C vents - How to remedy it?