Sponsored by:

New to me 2000 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 06:04 AM
ranathane
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2000 Boxster S

I'm going to look at a 2000 Boxster S on Monday 11/20/23 (or 20/11/23 for our British friends.

Having never owned a Porsche, what specific things do I need to look for to down check the car?

I'm mechanically inclined so basics are no problem, but I've been reading the forums and it seems the rear main seal and the water drains are big issues. What else should I be overly critical about. It's an automatic (laugh all you want I drive a semi for a living so stiff clutches aren't an issue just have enough leg cramps at work don't want them in my fun moments), with 66k miles.

This forum seems the most knowledgeable so I ask what I hope is the best community.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2023, 12:40 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

Water drains are easy to check - just put the top in service position and have a look. If the car has been consistently garaged, you're out of the woods on that one.

Main thing is service records - you just need to see that the car has been cared for up till now. If the IMS hasn't been addressed, just try to understand why.

If the car starts and runs strong, you're generally fine to buy and figure the rest out as you go.

No service records = no purchase is my big line. I've done a lot of work on my boxster, but I'd need my arms around what I'm buying to stroke a check. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2023, 06:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

First thing is look at it from a cosmetic standpoint. Would you hate it 6 months later? Color, condition, audio, trans, etc. (Nothing wrong with a Tiptronic. Had two of them.)
Second, ask about its service record? Not a deal breaker but if it hasn't had at least a oil change every year that is a concern.
Third drive it, does it fit your image? Is it the first one you have driven?
Fourth, look at the dates on the tires. Are they 3 years or less? Did the previous owner pay for the good ones or go cheap? See second item above.
Fifth would the seller allow a Pre Purchase Inspection by a Porsche experienced mechanic of your choice? The PPI should include a leak down test, an inspection of the oil filter and a drive and a walk through for you and the seller. It should cost you several hundred. The fact that you are willing to pay for that is an indication that you are a serious buyer. The fact that the seller is willing to subject their car to a professional inspection is an indication they have nothing to hide. Both should get copies of the write up.

This time of year is a great time to buy. Even better is when there is snow on the ground. Not much competition then.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikefocke:
craigI (11-20-2023), ER17 (11-19-2023), EVOMMM (11-21-2023), fazm (11-20-2023)

Quick Reply: New to me 2000 Boxster S