Sponsored by:

1998 porsche 986 boxster with 119,000 miles original motor misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 09:35 PM
hooper
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1998 porsche 986 boxster with 119,000 miles original motor misfire

hi my dad has a 1998 Porsche Boxster 986 we really need help it's having a misfiring issue it only does it at idle and every once and a while the car will rev up by it's self to in between 1k and 2k rpm when we are at a light and when the check engine light is flashing? is it normal for the car to do that by it's self?

we want to solve this asap because my dad told me if i do good in school i can have the car when I'm 25 I'm currently 18 before and we would like to figure out the problem and solve it before the motor blows we took the manifolds off and have installed headers and got rid of the cats it just runs through the muffler does anyone have any ideas of what it could be or some things that we could do to fix this?

FYI it had a check engine light on before we have a obd2 reader and before the misfires started it had a o2 sensor code could that possibly be causing it?

thank you in advance and would love too hear what ya'll think could be causing this would love to hear what you guys have to say respond asap
Old 12-07-2023, 07:19 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you looked at the basics? How old are the plugs and coils? When you scan it, what codes do you get?
Old 12-07-2023, 07:55 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

MAF sensor is also a possibility.
The following users liked this post:
hooper (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:05 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by hooper
hi my dad has a 1998 Porsche Boxster 986 we really need help it's having a misfiring issue it only does it at idle and every once and a while the car will rev up by it's self to in between 1k and 2k rpm when we are at a light and when the check engine light is flashing? is it normal for the car to do that by it's self?

we want to solve this asap because my dad told me if i do good in school i can have the car when I'm 25 I'm currently 18 before and we would like to figure out the problem and solve it before the motor blows we took the manifolds off and have installed headers and got rid of the cats it just runs through the muffler does anyone have any ideas of what it could be or some things that we could do to fix this?

FYI it had a check engine light on before we have a obd2 reader and before the misfires started it had a o2 sensor code could that possibly be causing it?

thank you in advance and would love too hear what ya'll think could be causing this would love to hear what you guys have to say respond asap
Young man... share the code.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:35 AM
hooper
Advanced

Originally Posted by tcora
Have you looked at the basics? How old are the plugs and coils? When you scan it, what codes do you get?
hey thank for responds we have not looked at the spark plugs and coils but i think we plan on doing that tomorrow need to run the codes i will write them done and tell you guys

Old 12-08-2023, 12:38 AM
hooper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Starter986
Young man... share the code.
hey thanks for the responds the last time we scanned the codes was a while ago so I don't remember I will share the codes when we do which will be tomorrow after school hopefully
Old 12-08-2023, 01:42 PM
brianmch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's likely 02 sensors and/or MAF.
I replaced all sensors and MAF a couple years ago but its acting up again. Really ticking me off.

Oh, and the air-oil separator that I had replaced 3 years ago needs replaced again.

You'd almost think these are made by Ford-tissue paper and paper clips. They're FRAGILE as they can be. But you can track the hell out of them. BiPolar anyone?
Old 12-08-2023, 03:05 PM
hooper
Advanced

Originally Posted by brianmch
It's likely 02 sensors and/or MAF.
I replaced all sensors and MAF a couple years ago but its acting up again. Really ticking me off.

Oh, and the air-oil separator that I had replaced 3 years ago needs replaced again.

You'd almost think these are made by Ford-tissue paper and paper clips. They're FRAGILE as they can be. But you can track the hell out of them. BiPolar anyone?
hey thanks for the reply man i really do appreciate it yeah I'll take a picture of the car for you guys so you can see it also me and my dad looked at the o2 sensors last night and my dad noticed that two of them are cheap ones and the other two are bosch so my dad is going to order those and tonight i will get the codes and post them on here so if you want to find out what happens keep checking back. made with ford tissue paper and paper clips lmao. That's funny this car really means a lot to me because my dads dad gave it to him as a college gift and my dad is going to hand over the keys to me when im 25 or 26 and all the thing we have done and gone and time we have spent together working on it we have gone to multiple car shows in it gone for evening drives. She is a old girl but she sure does look good for her being 25 years old and the sound of that flat 6 in between 5k and 6k ugh man so addicting and never gets old and she loves being in those high rpms man and that 5 speed never gets old either
Old 12-09-2023, 10:59 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Could you do us all a really big favor, as you ask us to do you a really big favor?

Write in complete sentences and use punctuation.
ER17 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 04:49 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

It is all about the codes. They will tell you and us what to look at. Don't go shotgunning and throwing parts at the problem just on speculation. 80% of the problems are diagnosed based on the codes. The other 20% on expertise and experience and $$$$$ labor by someone who has decades of experience. Those folk are worth their charge.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:44 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tcora
Could you do us all a really big favor, as you ask us to do you a really big favor?

Write in complete sentences and use punctuation.
****. Thank you. I'm a writer, and that was bothering the **** out of me, but I didn't want to say anything because the young man is 18, and a couple of years ago I chose to quit correcting people. If they want to sound like a dumb****, so be it.

The young man... the OP... seriously... double down. Life's a bitch.

Last edited by Starter986; 12-10-2023 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Don't need no ****ing reason for editing.
ER17 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 10:42 AM
hooper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Starter986
****. Thank you. I'm a writer, and that was bothering the **** out of me, but I didn't want to say anything because the young man is 18, and a couple of years ago I chose to quit correcting people. If they want to sound like a dumb****, so be it.

The young man... the OP... seriously... double down. Life's a bitch.
hey I read your comment I apologize for my grammar I will try to do it in complete sentences from now on on here. thanks for the advice and trying to help me out thank you.
ER17 (12-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 1998 porsche 986 boxster with 119,000 miles original motor misfire