Sponsored by:

Replacing HID headlights with Halogen assemblies on 2004 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 07:38 PM
rmlisak
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Replacing HID headlights with Halogen assemblies on 2004 Boxster S

I've searched posts but can only find questions regarding upfitting halogen to HID... my issue is the opposite. I got some aftermarket Halogen headlights before understanding the wiring difference between the halogen and the HID assemblies I have. I pulled my old lights and found the second connector for the HID lights. Decided to try the new ones and put them in and they work fine without any second connector being attached. Hi/Lo and directionals all work but the fog lights don't. I didn't have fog lights in the OEM lights.

I've looked and can't find anything similar in HID.

The questions are... will this work long term? Are the fog lights not functioning as a result of that second connector not being connected? My old lights are badly scratched and yellowed and won't buff clear and the new ones look way better.... Has anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance

New light vs original.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:20 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 309 Posts

Although I am all about the old saying "to each his own" it's hard for me to understand why people like those aftermarket LED black appearance lights. To me, they only serve to cheapen the look of our cars...but I understand that they might work well and of course I know that the factory Litetronics are really expensive in comparison. Best wishes with your little project.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:05 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Although I am all about the old saying "to each his own" it's hard for me to understand why people like those aftermarket LED black appearance lights. To me, they only serve to cheapen the look of our cars...but I understand that they might work well and of course I know that the factory Litetronics are really expensive in comparison. Best wishes with your little project.
Why do we like them? Because they work, particularly if you are coming from a 21 year old, 188,000 mile set of halogens.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:56 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

it's hard for me to understand why people like those aftermarket LED black appearance lights.
The guy is holding up a Porsche hood with a piece of wood. Need I say more?

Old 03-23-2024, 09:57 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
The guy is holding up a Porsche hood with a piece of wood. Need I say more?
"the guy" and the OP are not one and the same...
Old 03-23-2024, 10:12 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tcora
"the guy" and the OP are not one and the same...
Are you talking like exorcist or something? Scary.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:33 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcora
Why do we like them? Because they work, particularly if you are coming from a 21 year old, 188,000 mile set of halogens.
I can certainly appreciate that, as my own Boxster's 148k mile old halogens provide nearly no light. I do plan to upgrade my own lighting as well.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I can certainly appreciate that, as my own Boxster's 148k mile old halogens provide nearly no light. I do plan to upgrade my own lighting as well.
I would say purchase more OEM halogens new or gently used. I see them all the time in great condition for under $1000 for the pair. Heck, I sold some decent Litronics for $600 for the pair recently. Deals are out there. But when it comes to lights on our cars, I'm not putting aftermarket lights on then nor am I putting masks over the OEM to make it look less "fried egg".

jmo
Old 03-23-2024, 12:18 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
I would say purchase more OEM halogens new or gently used. I see them all the time in great condition for under $1000 for the pair. Heck, I sold some decent Litronics for $600 for the pair recently. Deals are out there. But when it comes to lights on our cars, I'm not putting aftermarket lights on then nor am I putting masks over the OEM to make it look less "fried egg".

jmo
I am indeed planning on getting a used set of Litronics for my own Boxster, meaning I think it's either that or do the internal projector upgrade based on the stock halogens to LED (in the other post here). Thanks!
Old 03-30-2024, 10:36 AM
brotato
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently swapped the halogens on my 2000 base car for a set of used Litronics. The lenses are a little foggy but the light output is already so much better. I like the look better as well.

I am planning to do the retrofit lab bixenon upgrade, as I think I can get it even brighter and clearer.

2000 Boxster with Litronic headlights
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 01:32 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brotato
I recently swapped the halogens on my 2000 base car for a set of used Litronics. The lenses are a little foggy but the light output is already so much better. I like the look better as well.

I am planning to do the retrofit lab bixenon upgrade, as I think I can get it even brighter and clearer.
That is a huge visual improvement...well done! My first Litronic headlight arrived for my own planned factory upgrade and I received the drivers side headlight first. I am confused by many of the hoses and wiring connections on it, and it does not appear to be plug-and-play at this time...which is bad news for my little project. I'll try to get some photos uploaded to clarify what I mean of course.
The following users liked this post:
brotato (03-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Replacing HID headlights with Halogen assemblies on 2004 Boxster S