Sponsored by:

A throaty exhaust sound without breaking the budget LMK

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 11:01 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 916 Posts
Default A throaty exhaust sound without breaking the budget LMK

I have a 99 Boxster that is totally stock loving it but I’m looking for a sporty sound but not a race car sounds and it’s only for cruising
thanks mike
Old 04-16-2024, 03:47 AM
Makrilli
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Free option would be to punch holes into the muffler from the outlet side.
You can't lose much trying this if you are looking to replace your muffler anyway.
However I don't remember it making a much difference with stock cats on 2.5 with 3.2S muffler.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:06 PM
Danimal986S
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, I don’t think it exists. I’ve searched high and low for a reasonable alternative that doesn’t drone. Basically everyone says to get a fister exhaust (from de motorsports), the fvd sound brombacher muffler or one of the Porsche sport exhausts (PSE). None of which are cheap.

i have heard that a 986.2 exhaust is different inside and might sound better than the 986.1 exhaust. At least in the “s” format. And could be throatier (haven’t verified). Those go for $200-$400 used.

My car came with a dansk muffler, but I can’t tell which version. It is very quiet and I can hear the accessories over it. So I too would like something a touch throatier.

I’ve seen a few PSEs that sold for $1200. And a fister with ceramic coating is close to $1100. A lot for used mufflers IMO.

So I’m thinking of spending elsewhere. Possibly doing the desnorkle for more sound.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:08 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

There definitely aren’t too many options out there.
My 02 Boxster S has the original valved exhaust that wasn’t very throaty.
I spent some stupid money (for a 986) and had Fabspeed headers w/ 200 cell cats and Fabspeed mid pipes installed along with the original PSE. Also had PSE button from the 996 of the day installed too.
With valves closed it is incredibly quiet, which I like in a car like this when road tripping or with the wifey in the car.
I just wish it was more raucous when valves are open.
It sounds good, if not a little tinny, but it’s not even close to the music you hear with the valves open on a stock 981 Boxster GTS PSE exhaust that I own. That may be the best factory exhaust I’ve heard on any car.
There is a company out of France SCART that makes a valved muffler that they apparently took many years to develop that sounds great in the video clips, but video clips are always hard to judge vs driving the car under load.

Here is a clip of their exhaust.

The only thing stopping me is the PRICE!

Although after going with PSS9’s (love them), 74mm Throttle body and the Fabspeed setup, I’ve got some money into mine that I’ll never get back unless these things go up in value considerably in the next few years (doubtful).

Does anyone have the Scart exhaust on theirs?

Here’s a couple of pics of mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by eddieb4:
Danimal986S (04-17-2024), ER17 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:46 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts

You can go beluga (I had on a previuos Box), The drone isn’t really that bad. Maybe not the best for highway cruising at 2500-2800 rpm but around town, pretty darn nice.
I didn’t find obnoxious.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:10 PM
Danimal986S
Intermediate

very nice! Off topic, Are those techart side skirts? And what wheels are those? Ruf?

Originally Posted by eddieb4
There definitely aren’t too many options out there.
My 02 Boxster S has the original valved exhaust that wasn’t very throaty.
I spent some stupid money (for a 986) and had Fabspeed headers w/ 200 cell cats and Fabspeed mid pipes installed along with the original PSE. Also had PSE button from the 996 of the day installed too.
With valves closed it is incredibly quiet, which I like in a car like this when road tripping or with the wifey in the car.
I just wish it was more raucous when valves are open.
It sounds good, if not a little tinny, but it’s not even close to the music you hear with the valves open on a stock 981 Boxster GTS PSE exhaust that I own. That may be the best factory exhaust I’ve heard on any car.
There is a company out of France SCART that makes a valved muffler that they apparently took many years to develop that sounds great in the video clips, but video clips are always hard to judge vs driving the car under load.

Here is a clip of their exhaust.

https://youtu.be/GAssS5FIyzA?si=pYXPM5ZYbqsGAHdf

The only thing stopping me is the PRICE!

Although after going with PSS9’s (love them), 74mm Throttle body and the Fabspeed setup, I’ve got some money into mine that I’ll never get back unless these things go up in value considerably in the next few years (doubtful).

Does anyone have the Scart exhaust on theirs?

Here’s a couple of pics of mine.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:44 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Fister exhaust is at FD Motorsports…without any ceramic finish, I believe it’s still under $700(with your muffler), plus shipping if applicable. I’m on the East Coast, and the stock muffler is pretty sizeable. I imagine shipping would be expensive x2. Couldn’t justify the expense. I have a lot of Fister bits on my 993…great owners, fantastic products.

I replaced the secondary cat pipes on my 03 S, with stainless bypass pipes. Literally available in many places for about $150. Those pipes, combined with removing the intake snorkel, made for a very nice complimentary balance, intake noise to exhaust. Above 40 mph, wind noise is king anyway. Both intake and exhaust noise are absolutely noticeable under heavy throttle inputs, and/or load.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:56 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Danimal986S
very nice! Off topic, Are those techart side skirts? And what wheels are those? Ruf?
Good eye! Yes those are tech art side skirts and rear air wing.
I took the front air splitters off because I didn’t like the look of them.
I don’t take the car above 85 to 90 mph anyway so it doesn’t matter.
The wheels are from Augment Wheel company in Canada and they are forged and lighter then the Ruf wheels that they mimic. Found them used from a guy in Canada.
I think those wheels, along with the lowered stance, make the car imo.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:33 AM
Danimal986S
Intermediate

On this one they did just secondary cat delete pipes and sounds pretty good. That may be the cheapest options. I can’t comment on the sound in person having never done it…

Last edited by Danimal986S; 04-18-2024 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:39 AM
ExtreamV
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Beautiful 986 , love the color. two questions.
What wheels/rims are those? They look really nice.

Did you paint you center console or is that factory?

Mine is black and so is the interior. I wouldn't know what color would pop well on mine but yours looks awesome painted. Pops good with the black interior.

-EV
Old 04-20-2024, 02:38 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExtreamV
Hello,
Beautiful 986 , love the color. two questions.
What wheels/rims are those? They look really nice.

Did you paint you center console or is that factory?

Mine is black and so is the interior. I wouldn't know what color would pop well on mine but yours looks awesome painted. Pops good with the black interior.

-EV
I had my body shop guy paint an extra center console that I had. Not perfectly done but not a terrible job.

I purchased the wheels used off of Rennlist.

Augment Wheel Company makes them on special order … mine are 18’s. Ruf style forged wheels that are actually lighter than the original Rufs

I personally think the are one of the best looking wheels on a Boxster.

I don’t think they look as good on my 964.

Im thinking about installing a set of Recaro CS seats in it … I find the stock seats a little uncomfortable for my lower back on drive longer than an hour

Last edited by eddieb4; 04-20-2024 at 02:48 PM.
bcrdukes (04-22-2024), pilot4fn (04-21-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:20 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

@eddieb4 - Thanks for sharing about Augment Wheel. Would you by chance have the model number and specs? I'm curious how much they would go for today. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2024, 10:03 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
@eddieb4 - Thanks for sharing about Augment Wheel. Would you by chance have the model number and specs? I'm curious how much they would go for today. Thanks in advance!
I’d call Augment Wheel Company and show them a pic of my car. They are bespoke … custom builds and they will know what specs you need.

As far as cost for new, I think around 1600 CAD each. Exchange rates are highly in our favor rn if I’m not mistaken.

I bet a set is around 5k USD.

link to Augment’s website:

https://www.augmentwheels.com/

Good luck!
bcrdukes (04-23-2024), EVOMMM (04-23-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:52 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure what your "breaking the budget" number is.
I friend put on a SOUL Performance on his 986,. Sounds very nice. Even has "polite neighbor" mode for morning exits.
I will probably do one when I have the extra cash.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:56 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 916 Posts

Well considering I paid 7300 for my car and I love it but can’t justify a $2500 exhaust system for it
all I’m looking for is a little more throat
so my friend gave me a Boxster S exhaust free so I’m hoping that the ticket

Quick Reply: A throaty exhaust sound without breaking the budget LMK