Sponsored by:

Replacement Speaker Options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:49 PM
cbracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Speaker Options?

I have the basic sound system with 2 speakers in the front. It's time to do something decent, but not expensive. I'm not a stereo expert but am an engineer and understand some things about sound/power/wiring. From my research in the archives here are my choices,

Rear Speakers
--MB Quartz only makes 4" so the Eclipse seem to be the best choice for 3.5"? I'm guessing I should use just one per side? These should be mid-range with no tweeter?

Door Speakers
--I need something that will fit in the narrow depth of the stock door panels? any suggestions? These should be 6.5" designed for bass?

Front Speakers
--So 4" with 1" tweeter is the biggest that fit? MB Quartz is what I'm leaning towards though not their high end stuff but the cheaper stuff. Their 210 has a crossover.

AMP
--I would have thought 18watts if fine for me, I don't drive with loud sound but I want good sound..... however it seems most of these speakers need more umph to drive them? So do I need to find a 6 channel 996 amp? Can I stick it under the passenger seat?

Crossovers
--Do I need anything to limit only bass Hz going to the door speakers?

I'm not looking at a subwoofer because I don't like loosing footwell area for the passenger.

thanks,
--christopher
Old 11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I suppose you have the same as a 996 grill. It will hold a 4" and 1.5" set up, if you cut it apart and remount the speakers to the plastic grill yourself. it is not direct fitment. Your door may hold a 5.5 to 6 (I'm not sure how yours looks.) . I suggest Boston Acoustics Pro 4.5 system for the dash, and maybe squeeze 5.5 or 6.5 in the doors. Or the 6.5 three way system that gives you a 6.5 woofer and the 4.5 as the mid and hi, with a 3way xover.
As for amps, It depends on your year if you can swap amps. I would say to ask dealer. Or buy a better aftermarket amp with good power (not a 18W job).
Old 11-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Chupa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the MB Q210s, with a PPI amp driving a Kicker 6.5" bass speaker. The amp had a lower-pass filter which happened to match up nicely with the bottom end performance of the MB 4". The MB titanium tweeters are unbelievable and probably unmatched for anywhere near the price. The lower end on that MB does need to be supplemented by a good amp and speaker for bass/sub-bass. FYI, those titanium speakers drive up to 30kHz (way past human hearing) so the high frequencies will likely sound overpowering at the zero dB setting (since these tweeters don't drop off like most others). I'd suggest setting the tweeters to either the -3dB or -6dB contacts at the crossover. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Replacement Speaker Options?