Sponsored by:

Dealer Service or Mechanic in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:11 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Service or Mechanic in NJ

Since this is my first Porsche, and I'm in NW New Jersey, can anyone here steer me toward any dealer service departments or independant Porsche mechanics in Northern NJ / Southern NY state area that have a good reputation ?

Don't want to be leaving her with just anybody when she's hurting, you know ?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
pl
Drifting

i live in centrl. NJ
try http://www.pwr-tech.com/ in n. NJ

and please join http://www.nnjr-pca.com/site/index.p...isplay&ceid=31
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Thanks pl. Power Tech is only right down the road, and I already printed out the NNJR application form !
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try Haupt Strasse Motoors 845-783-1425. will give as good (and possibly better)service but cost a lot less.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:56 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powertech is like $90 an hour? Ray Catena in Edison NJ is $100 an hour. I like going to RC when I can wait for the car. They have a really great waiting area. Maybe the nicest in NJ. Free lunch, 10 internet kiosks, Plasma TV, pool table nice clean bathrooms. Great if you can bring your work with you.I saw a McLaren SLR pull into one of the garages(spotless garage by the way). And then they wash your car for you!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:01 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

i would be suprised if the are $90 an hour...based on my experience it was alot more(and that was 10 years ago)
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Powertech is like $90 an hour? Ray Catena in Edison NJ is $100 an hour. I like going to RC when I can wait for the car. They have a really great waiting area. Maybe the nicest in NJ. Free lunch, 10 internet kiosks, Plasma TV, pool table nice clean bathrooms. Great if you can bring your work with you.I saw a McLaren SLR pull into one of the garages(spotless garage by the way). And then they wash your car for you!
i think RC give 10% discount for PCA member, at lease for parts.

i use http://www.pinnaclemotorworks.com/ in stirling, so far so good. their rate after PCA discount is like $75
and i can drop off my car, take train to work. go back, pick up the car later, but the NJ transit train is very slow(local train).
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Default As recommended by Clark...

http://www.clarks-garage.com/repair-...pair_us_nj.htm

Don't know about the one....but I love Chuck Oliver!

Melissa
Old 03-17-2006, 02:42 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

I've had bad experiences with a particular dealer service shop in northern NJ.

I would go with Powertech. The guys really know their stuff, and they do everything from standard maintenance to full race modifications.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:28 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have made notes and bookmarkes sites for these guys.
At least now I have an idea where I can take the car and be confident that they know what the hell they are doing.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

i could tell you a horror story with Powertech..... I brought my 77 911 to them, a mint colorado car mid 60k's miles for a tune up, the car had no leaks and ran very well. I drop off the car and when i pick it up a week later(i was having the mixture adjusted and just a general look over) and i get the car back with oil leaks, no heat(worked before) exhaust leaks and what when i looked at it, to be a different engine(it eventually turned out to be a 75 motor by the #'s). bear in mind this was a 1 owner car prior to me buying it(and then driving it from Colorado to NJ home) the car was near mint...i mean mint, paint, interrior and ALL records, guy i got it from was crazy ****, he ordered it new and it even had the option shortwave radio in it! I go there and Keith says that it needs a new motor...!? then the go and do an estimate of like $10000 for the overhaul,OR they will take it off my hands for 1500("because tha is all it's worth") Never been there again, would't recommend them at all. Had some friends have very bad dealing with them with caliper rebuilds and 3500 tune ups with a 75 914! they were one of the reasons that i went to school to work on cars as I felt there were few trustworthy places to go and not be a finacier of their racing, quite honestly, the only people i have ever heard that were happy with their work and prices were all people who had money to burn. (oh..and here on Rennlist too) I live right by them btw, maybe things have changed in the 10 years since the engine deal with me happened, but i wouldn't trust them again (btw, i sold that 911 with the bad engine 10 years ago for almost $10000)
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by nickg
i could tell you a horror story with Powertech..... I brought my 77 911 to them, a mint colorado car mid 60k's miles for a tune up, the car had no leaks and ran very well. I drop off the car and when i pick it up a week later(i was having the mixture adjusted and just a general look over) and i get the car back with oil leaks, no heat(worked before) exhaust leaks and what when i looked at it, to be a different engine(it eventually turned out to be a 75 motor by the #'s). bear in mind this was a 1 owner car prior to me buying it(and then driving it from Colorado to NJ home) the car was near mint...i mean mint, paint, interrior and ALL records, guy i got it from was crazy ****, he ordered it new and it even had the option shortwave radio in it! I go there and Keith says that it needs a new motor...!? then the go and do an estimate of like $10000 for the overhaul,OR they will take it off my hands for 1500("because tha is all it's worth") Never been there again, would't recommend them at all. Had some friends have very bad dealing with them with caliper rebuilds and 3500 tune ups with a 75 914! they were one of the reasons that i went to school to work on cars as I felt there were few trustworthy places to go and not be a finacier of their racing, quite honestly, the only people i have ever heard that were happy with their work and prices were all people who had money to burn. (oh..and here on Rennlist too) I live right by them btw, maybe things have changed in the 10 years since the engine deal with me happened, but i wouldn't trust them again (btw, i sold that 911 with the bad engine 10 years ago for almost $10000)
nickg, sorry for your story, just to confirm, this happened 10 years ago, right?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

in that range, it was after they started up in their current location.(i mention Keith, because then name sticks out to me on this) I remember when Promotion was going and most of those guys worked there too. They may be different now, but i still wouldn't go to them. the 3500 914 tune up was about 4 years ago, they charged over 3k in labor for a job that was worth maybe 500. The guy they did it to was old and had no idea...they came highly recommended by some. They may have changed, and I am not trying to flame or berate tham at all, I know of plenty of happy people who have used them(but as i said they have $ to burn) with no problem. Just expect to pay more than dealer prices on everything they do for you.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:26 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by nickg
in that range, it was after they started up in their current location.(i mention Keith, because then name sticks out to me on this) I remember when Promotion was going and most of those guys worked there too. They may be different now, but i still wouldn't go to them. the 3500 914 tune up was about 4 years ago, they charged over 3k in labor for a job that was worth maybe 500. The guy they did it to was old and had no idea...they came highly recommended by some. They may have changed, and I am not trying to flame or berate tham at all, I know of plenty of happy people who have used them(but as i said they have $ to burn) with no problem. Just expect to pay more than dealer prices on everything they do for you.
i don't know much about power tech, i just noticed that North New Jersey Region of PCA ofter use their facility. and from what i heard in nnjr, pwr tech is good. however, thank you for sharing your experiense.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:19 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Nick....not meaning to be confrontational, but how could someone get away with changing a motor on you like that ? I would have went ballistic. Might even have had some "friends" educate them....(after all this IS New Jersey...)

BTW...welcome to NJ - where the weak are killed and then eaten....

Quick Reply: Dealer Service or Mechanic in NJ