Sponsored by:

Another Car Won't Start Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
goldsbar
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Car Won't Start Thread

I've searched through a few won't start posts but haven't found a good answer so far...

I have an 2001 Boxster that I rarely drive in the Winter. The car was barely starting the last couple of times I was able to use it. When I went to attach my charger (Craftsman), the hood wouldn't open so I had to use the battery charger and connect it to the fuse box on the 2 amp setting. The charger indicated that the battery was still in decent shape so I let it charge for a while. Based on the charger meter and interior light brightness, the battery now has plenty of juice (I've also tried the 50 amp jump setting).

When I turn the key, as all I get is some clicking noises. The airbag light and sometimes the oil light will come on during/after I remove the key. Strange things happening - the rear spoiler is stuck up and the windows move down an inch every time I try to start the car.

Things I've tried based on other posts:

-Cleaned battery terminals and connectors with sandpaper

-left ignition in on position for a minute or so

-disconnected battery for a day

-fooled around with locking and unlocking the car from inside & outside

People have mentioned changing the relays and I've seen listings of the part #'s. Could this be my problem. Are these available at a normal auto parts store or any websites? Any other ideas?

Thanks - I Really don't want to have the car towed to the dealer $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need a new battery.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Unless you have an electronic device to check the condition the charger is not really a good indication. Pull the battery and run it down to a parts store and have them test it. Or just put a different battery in to eliminate the battery as a source. The batter is the first item in any electrical trouble shooting. 3 too 5 years is about the limit for a lead acid batter depending how much care or abuse it is given.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
goldsbar
8th Gear

Hmm, the battery does make a strange hissing sound after it's been attached to the charger for a couple of hours. I'm waiting for the thing to explode in my face. I'll try to pull a battery from another car tonight. I assume any batter will do just to start the car (i.e. I realize they probably won't fit correctly)?Thanks.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
mbodo
Racer

Originally Posted by goldsbar
Hmm, the battery does make a strange hissing sound after it's been attached to the charger for a couple of hours. I'm waiting for the thing to explode in my face. I'll try to pull a battery from another car tonight. I assume any batter will do just to start the car (i.e. I realize they probably won't fit correctly)?Thanks.
Gosh, not quite sure how to say this, but batteies are supposed to NOT make any noise.. they're kind of quiet.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:56 AM
goldsbar
8th Gear

Whew, looks like it's the battery. I dropped in the battery from my Forrester (I wasn't even able to properly connect the terminals) and the car started instantly. Thanks for the help. Any advice on where to get a new battery?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2950
Old 02-24-2006, 10:37 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Any advice on where to get a new battery?
See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=27688
Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is normal, but this is also the dangerous part....

Batteries give off Hydrogen gas when charging and this is explosive when mixed with Oxygen. This is why you should not smoke or create any sparks while charging batteries. It should be done in a well ventilated space as well.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I would recommend a RG gell type, different brands called differnt names but similar construction. I for one dont want that acid bomb where it is in our cars, some dont care, but not for me. You dont want just a maintenance free, they are not. You dont want just a sealed battery they are not. Yea yea I know what they say. But if you can puncture it and it will leak you dont want it. IMHO. I could tell you some good stories.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:33 AM
rubberdub
AutoX

Just get a new battery. It's cheap insurance and the symptoms do signify a battery issue.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
dcmelik
Instructor

Consider a loose ground strap. If that doesn't work, consider a failing volt regulator on the back of the alternator. I replaced the volt regulator instead of the entire alternator. Write up is at www.ciapca.org under November Pferdestarke newsletter. It is an adaptation of BoxsterSS's write up at www.renntech.org, which is also a good resource.

Good luck!

David Cmelik
87 928 S4 auto "guards red"
01 986 5 speed "seal grey metallic"
00 BMW 323 black on red
Old 04-01-2006, 11:47 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Maybe your battery just needs water. Are they sealed?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Miguel
Pro

Default Batteries

Do you guys still have unsealed batteries? Over here they are all sealed and non repairable. Use them, throw them away after a couple of years, and get a new one.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Another Car Won't Start Thread