Sponsored by:

Dealer Service Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 PM
cayuga
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Service Rip Off

Brought my 02 Boster into the dealer today. Car has 70,000 miles and break wer light came on last week. Here is what dealer (no tthe dealer from whom i purchased the car) wants to charge:

$2200 for 60,000 service
$2000 for 4 brake pads and rotors - insisted that rotors should be repalced whenever you repalce pads
$4600 for discovered RMS leak and new clutch. I had no sign whatso ever of an rms oil leak -- havent added oil to car in 7 months and still guage reads completely full. not a drop of oil on my garage floor. clutch is original but feels absolutely fine.

Total $8600 ) for a car worth 22k tops.

Needles to say, talked him down to 1400 for 60,000 service and 1800 for brake job (after calling my regular dealer service dept and finding out the right prces). passed on the clutch and rms b/c aty this point i am pretty convinced he has fabricating the whole rms and clutch issue.

Once I get my car back tomorrow, I will tell you all which dealer this is.

BTW - how much should a new clutch cost? how about a brake job and what do you think of the "requirement" that rotors should be replaced when pads are replaced?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

I do know there is a very limited wear limit on the rotor. I think it is either 2 or 4mm total. Since they are a dealer the liability issue and for sure the profit to be made, out weighs what is best/ econmically for the customer. If the rotors are not out of run out specs, they can be deglazed and new pads installed. Very simple operation. I am not telling you to go against the safety requirement in the service manual, just what I do. I had 300K on one car numerious brake jobs and never once turned or replaced a rotor. In fact I know of an owner of a shop that can but dosent even turn his own, waste of rotor metal. The pads will bed in. If you have a pulse then thats where the rub begins because they by law cannot turn them thinner than mimimum. Basically the are making about a grand off that brake job, maybe moore. It is definitely in the DIY catagory even for the beginner. You can buy pads and all new rotor off EBAY for 700 too 800, a power bleeder for 39. and a bottle of gold or blue fluid for 10 or so. FYI my rotors and pads on the 01 S went 52K and now are on there second set of pads. Depends alot on the type of driving you do how long they last. And 4,600 for a rear main seal and clutch is robbery. I am sure it can be done for way less. With better performance parts.
Just curious, what did they say they were actually going to replace in hard parts for the 2200 dollar service?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 AM
4sound
Advanced

Something is wrong here. I cant see how the charge can be $4600 for a clutch, RMS and the IMS.
Maybe this includes a round trip ticket to Germany to pick up the parts ?
As for the $2200 for the service, I dont understand that either, but maybe they are doing some other work ? ( oil leaks, water pump , etc.)
What is their labor rate ?
I'd love to know what dealer this is.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Just did 30K service on my '01. Dealer wanted $1K. Local German auto shop with good rep did it for $455. Only one P dealer in the area - they can charge what they want.

Just got new key. Dealer says it will be 3 hours to program it. Local shop says it is only an hour - but only the deal has the coputer software and they can charge what they want.

Seems like the best way to go is to find a local shop with good rep for all work you can't do yourself or not exclusive to the dealer.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cayuga
$2200 for 60,000 service
What is included in their 60K service?

$2000 for 4 brake pads and rotors - insisted that rotors should be repalced whenever you repalce pads
Like Turboflyer said, there is only 2mm wear available on a new rotor. My front ones lasted 60K miles so 70K is great if yours have never been replaced. The rear, however, are still original at 75K miles with only about 1mm wear. You can do this entire service yourself (including front rotors) for about $400 in about 1-1 1/2 hours.
$2K is about right for full pads and rotors at a dealer.

$4600 for discovered RMS leak and new clutch. I had no sign whatso ever of an rms oil leak -- havent added oil to car in 7 months and still guage reads completely full. not a drop of oil on my garage floor. clutch is original but feels absolutely fine.
I've seen up to $4K for a clutch job quote from a dealer, but it's high. The RMS should only be the cost of the part plus about 1/2 hour labor since the clutch would already be out. Does their quote include a new flywheel, pressure plate, clutch plate & release (throwout) bearing? If not, it's an even bigger ripoff. Parts for the clutch replacement (including flywheel) are about $1500. Labor should be about 8 hours.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Badcow!
Just did 30K service on my '01. Dealer wanted $1K. Local German auto shop with good rep did it for $455. Only one P dealer in the area - they can charge what they want.

Just got new key. Dealer says it will be 3 hours to program it. Local shop says it is only an hour - but only the deal has the coputer software and they can charge what they want.

Seems like the best way to go is to find a local shop with good rep for all work you can't do yourself or not exclusive to the dealer.
3 HOURS to reprogram a key????? I have a buddy who works a BIG Porsche dealer here in L.A. I watched him program my key (twice). It took about 15 minutes--including dragging out the computer, plugging it in, etc. Who ARE these guys???? Report them to PCNA.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

The key programming takes a MAXIMUM of 20 minutes. What a load of BS. I'd report that dealer to the authorities.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Badcow!
Intermediate

How would I go about making this kind of report?

I haven't taken the car in yet. I am going on a tour with the local club this weekend, so I'll bring her in next week. Now that I've been given some ammo, I will probably negotiate with the service manager for something a bit more realistic.

The metal part of the key was about $125. I can't imagine it is more than two bits worth of metal and a few minutes at the key cutting machine once you've looked up the code.

The plastic part with the three remote buttons was $134. Since this has the computer chips and transmitters, I sort of get this one. If they were mass produced, like MicroSoft products, it wouldn't cost more than a few bucks. But then I'd probably have to buy an update every year or so!

At these prices, they ought to include programming.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
4sound
Advanced

3 hours to program a key is kind of high. I have never heard of anyone charging 3 hours to do this.
The remote is $134, however you have the option of buying a key head from Porsche without a remote for less.
Also, when ever you buy a new remote, it comes with a cardboard like paper. this paper has the input code needed to program the remote. DO NOT loose it. Make sure you tell the dealer to give you this paper. If for what ever reason it needs to be programed again, or if you decide you want to use the remote for a different car, you need the code on this paper.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:24 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Badcow!
At these prices, they ought to include programming.
You have to remember a dealer makes MOST of his income from labor. Even if the cost of the original materials was next to nothing, he paid a good bit for the key and remote head. He has to pay a huge mortgage for the building/land, insurance out the wazoo in case someone does something stupid, gets hurt and sees $$$ signs when a lawyer gets ahold of them, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, etc. You're paying a whole lot more than just the cost of a key.

For the 3 hours labor, that's ridiculous, but any dealer, whether it's Porsche or Dodge, will charge you a minimum of 1 hour labor to do anything so don't expect less than that. You can get these things done online through other dealers or at another physical dealer if you don't like his price. You can check with PCNA and see if they have any guidelines the dealer is supposed to follow, but it's none of the "authorities" business what he wants to charge. It's a free market so he is free to charge what he wants and you are free to go somewhere else if it's not acceptable.

If you want to get an idea of what the dealer actually pays for things, go to www.sunsetporsche.com and ask them for a price. Their prices are always 20% over cost and cost is the same for all of the dealers except for California where they tax the living daylights out of everything.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Brought my 02 Boster into the dealer today. Car has 70,000 miles and break wer light came on last week. Here is what dealer (no tthe dealer from whom i purchased the car) wants to charge:

$2200 for 60,000 service

Total $8600 ) for a car worth 22k tops.

Needles to say, talked him down to 1400 for 60,000 service and 1800 for brake job (after calling my regular dealer service dept and finding out the right prces). passed on the clutch and rms b/c aty this point i am pretty convinced he has fabricating the whole rms and clutch issue.

Once I get my car back tomorrow, I will tell you all which dealer this is.

BTW - how much should a new clutch cost? how about a brake job and what do you think of the "requirement" that rotors should be replaced when pads are replaced?

so which dealer is it??
Old 04-11-2006, 03:59 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haven't done a 60K service yet. I seem to recall my 30K service being in the $300 to $500 range.

I do change pads often. Pagid Oranges cost about $500 a set and take about an hour to put them in all 4 calipers. Stock pads should be quite a bit less (~$300??).

At my dealer a new clutch was something like $2100. RMS at the same time, if you even need it would be at most another $400.

This dealer is ripping you off, no question about it. Give him $500 for the service and $1000 for the brake job and tell him he'll like it or will be receiving a call from the regional PCNA rep.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:36 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

free market doesn't mean free to charge anything you like.
any p-car dealer charge 3 hours for programing a key, if discoverd by pcna, will have hard time.

Originally Posted by deliriousga
You have to remember a dealer makes MOST of his income from labor. Even if the cost of the original materials was next to nothing, he paid a good bit for the key and remote head. He has to pay a huge mortgage for the building/land, insurance out the wazoo in case someone does something stupid, gets hurt and sees $$$ signs when a lawyer gets ahold of them, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, etc. You're paying a whole lot more than just the cost of a key.

For the 3 hours labor, that's ridiculous, but any dealer, whether it's Porsche or Dodge, will charge you a minimum of 1 hour labor to do anything so don't expect less than that. You can get these things done online through other dealers or at another physical dealer if you don't like his price. You can check with PCNA and see if they have any guidelines the dealer is supposed to follow, but it's none of the "authorities" business what he wants to charge. It's a free market so he is free to charge what he wants and you are free to go somewhere else if it's not acceptable.

If you want to get an idea of what the dealer actually pays for things, go to www.sunsetporsche.com and ask them for a price. Their prices are always 20% over cost and cost is the same for all of the dealers except for California where they tax the living daylights out of everything.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Pay the three hours labor, and sit and watch how long they actually work on the programming. What a load of BS, IMHO, of course
Old 04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Today I got email from a dealer in another state. That dealer's service department gave me a quote of $53 and said it takes a half-hour to do. I have contacted PCNA. I'll arrange to have the programming done later this week. Now I have some ammo to use with the service manager if I need.

Thanks to everyone who gave me data.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Rip Off