Sponsored by:

Longest Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 03:16 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
...my mother ran the car through a puddle of water and it upset the sensor that controls the check engine light.

Other than that, she uses virtually no oil, and other than consumables, she runs better than new, and with the help of a full front end bra, and a religious wax schedule...
...Ummmm.... your mother???

Keef
Old 05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by VWaddict
...Ummmm.... your mother???

Keef
OK, OK! You got me!!!

It was actually me in drag!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:34 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Wow...Almost 150,000 miles and none of the wheel bearings have been replaced? Seems like a part that's common to go on the Boxster.

I second the point on the engines only get better with more miles. I love this car...
Old 05-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
Wow...Almost 150,000 miles and none of the wheel bearings have been replaced? Seems like a part that's common to go on the Boxster.

I second the point on the engines only get better with more miles. I love this car...
Again, not that I can recall. The car was 100% in my mother's possession for the three years I was in graduate school. I would have to check the records to verify whether or not the wheel bearings have been changed.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:40 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

knoxville to hilton head in my boxter s 2wice
Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Schnell!
Track Day

I just finished driving my '00 S from Phoenix, AZ (where I bought it) to Anchorage, AK in five days. Total distance travelled was about 3800 miles. Yeah, I speed.....

Day 1: Phoenix to southern ID.
Day 2: Southern Idaho to Lethbridge, Alberta
Day 3: Lethbridge to Grand Prairie, Alberta
Day 4: Grand Prairie to Whitehorse, YT
Day 5: Whitehorse to Anchorage, AK.

OBC said I was getting about 32 MPG the whole way.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
djomlas
Intermediate

for the short time that i had it, the longest i did was a 300 mile drive from the dealer to my house...bah. but i now do feel much better even thinking of taking it somewhere farther. sweet

i did feel a little bit of discomfort in my back after getting out, maybe thats couse it was my first drive in it and i was tired and used to sitting back 50 feet from the steering wheel like my other cars but now im used to it
Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 248 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Longest drive...

Originally Posted by blilley
What is the longest continuous drive anyone has taken in their Boxster? I am thinking of driving it to Colorado Springs from St. Louis without stopping over. Trip is approximatly 13 hours. Anything to check before going other than the obvious oil and brakes?
Couple of times driving from Livermore CA to Kansas City, MO (or back again) over about 44 hours.

Can't drive non-stop but end up having to pull over and catnap in car.

Napping works better if I toss into the cabin a couple of big pillows, then when I want to stop I arrange them to hold me in a somewhat comfortable position, drag a light blanket over me and I can doze an hour or two.

Sometimes after waking all I can drive is another hour or so before I have to stop again. (I pushed it once and fell asleep on road and hit some road debris on shoulder of road and busted a radiator, out in the middle of nowhere KS, late at night.)

Once daylight shows, though, and I hit a Starbucks I'm pretty much awake. 'course, once I hit my final destination I go to bed pretty early that day and sleep in as long as I need to recover.

Oh, length of trip is just under 2000 miles, one way.

Don't do this everytime. Sometimes, I stop at Williams AZ the first night (though I have made it as far as Santa Rosa NM on occasion), then do the all day/night thing (with catnaps as necessary) until I arrive at destination.

As I get closer to destination I get too excited to stop. Then when I get too tired, I find most places full for night, so I end up having to drive on through.

Coming west, I can drive as far as Santa Rosa NM the 1st night, then pull an all day and as much night as necessary (with catnap stops as required) until I reach home.

What I make sure I have is my V1, CB radio (hand-held), plenty of batteries (for the CB radio), cell phone, drinking water and credit card.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Tierce
Pro

I've done 1k miles in a weekend. all in the NC mountains, and it included a couple of trips up and down the dragons tail. that's about the farthest so far. but i've only had my 2000 S for a couple of months.

this car is also my daily driver, so the miles will rack up quickly.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

We traveled about 1600 miles on Wed to pick up my new Boxster. Drove 2.5 hours to the airport, flew to Chicago, jumped in the car and drove 800 miles back. It took 22 hours in total, but we beat the winter storm, so it was worth it.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Three summers ago, I took my 2000 boxster from Columbus, Ohio to Idaho and then to St Paul, Mn and then back to Columbus. The trip from St Paul to Columbus was non stop, except for gas and food and I averaged about 80mph except when I hit Chicago. Car ran like a top and the seating position was very comfy. Only problem was keeping the ex wife from dropping crumbs in the car. hehehe

tom
Old 12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 248 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Had to replace left rear wheel bearing on my '02 Boxster....

Originally Posted by autobahnNY

with over 80,000 miles on the car. Can't remember the mileage any closer than that but I can look it up on the invoice.

Car now has over 155,000 miles on it and its on its original wheel bearings (save the new one, well new 75,000 miles ago...).

New tires are due, and I could find a noisy wheel bearing after tire change. But maybe not. Tires aren't as noisy this time as when the rear wheel bearing was bad.

Even after tires were replaced then, the noise from the bad bearing was very noticable.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Longest Drive?