02 Boxster S (only 9k miles) Reluctant Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 02 Boxster S (only 9k miles) Reluctant Sale

I've just very VERY reluctantly put my Boxster S up for sale.

It is a 2002 Boxster S (original ownership family -- title was transfered to me 2 years ago)

It's been in the same climate controled garage since new.. ONLY driven on nice weather days (thus the low 9k of mileage)

Car is in PRISTINE condition.. no excuses.. no track abuse and no autocross... NO PROBLEMS.. flawless! like new (better than new IMHO)

$40k FIRM (no, I'm not interested in taking less -- I'd rather keep it for less)

IT has a few nice mods:

- B&M Short shift

- Dansk exhaust (very nice tone)

- EVO Intake

- H&R Coilovers

- factory speaker upgrade (behind seats)

- brushed aluminum pedals with Porsche logo

- custom powdercoated black 17" wheels with brand new s03 225 45 17 front and 255 40 17 rear

- custom speed yellow center console and gauge cluster surround AND mesh loop inserts

- complete clear bra (3m) - largest kit coverage you can get for the Boxster including the headlights

Car is located in chicagoland (northern burbs)

I very much welcome a personal viewing and any mechanic you want to do a full inspection. It's had 4 oil changes so far (not due to mileage but due to once a year change) and i had the brake fluid flushed and filled just last july.
Attached Images          
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

passed smog test this morning (1st test required btw)
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thought I'd try one last bump
Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 PM
welles
Intermediate

I believe you'll be keeping it. Your price isn't realistic.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by welles
I believe you'll be keeping it. Your price isn't realistic.
FYI: I saw a similar car in San Jose, CA in midnight blue - car was CPO, asking for around $38k - at a dealer, so I'm sure they would have come down a bit.

Personally, the high prices on the used ones are the reason that I have a new one now

Just relating my experience - Best luck to you on finding a buyer.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:49 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

interesting how the 'negativity' is from someone with 2 whole posts (not a rennlister) and another non-rennlister

At my local dealership is a 02 S with 17K miles and NO mods for $42k so that is where I'm basing my price from considering I don't even have 10K yet and some rather expensive mods but so be it, if I keep it for myself to enjoy longer then that's how it goes.

I won't bother to post in this thread again.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:03 PM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceboyd
interesting how the 'negativity' is from someone with 2 whole posts (not a rennlister) and another non-rennlister

At my local dealership is a 02 S with 17K miles and NO mods for $42k so that is where I'm basing my price from considering I don't even have 10K yet and some rather expensive mods but so be it, if I keep it for myself to enjoy longer then that's how it goes.

I won't bother to post in this thread again.
Mine definitely wasn't intentded to be negative. My apologies if it came across as such.

As I said earlier, best luck finding a buyer.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

My 2 cents FWIW-- Definitely unique, but I do think it is high. '04 986's are selling in that range, and in the general market I think people prefer stock to modded.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:30 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rome
My 2 cents FWIW-- Definitely unique, but I do think it is high. '04 986's are selling in that range, and in the general market I think people prefer stock to modded.

our former 95 993 was heavily modded with 104k miles and it sold within hours for $39k back in January this year so obviously this car needs someone who appreciates and understands the huge mod expense invested in the car OR as I said, I continue to enjoy it for myself instead. Should I become desperate to sell, I'd start parting out some of the expensive investments like the Dansk exhaust, H&R coilovers, rear stabilizer bar, and custom wheels and tires before selling for lower pricetag (as I would decrease the price by whatever I could get for the goodies minus my cost to buy back stock parts)

I guess I should have kept the stock exhaust instead of selling for a song of $100 and kept the stock suspension instead of selling for a song of $200. Oh well, live and learn!

Meanwhile, right now I just don't have the heart to part my car back to stock after all the TLC to get it to this point.

If anyone who was a serious buyer would drive a 100% stock 04 Boxster S and then mine, would clearly see the positive differences of my mods BTW (again, if that person likes mods of course)

Someone who wants only a stock car wouldn't give mine a 2nd glance but someone thinking of investing in all these mods can suddenly appreciate the cost of mine in comparison.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
Someone who wants only a stock car wouldn't give mine a 2nd glance but someone thinking of investing in all these mods can suddenly appreciate the cost of mine in comparison.
First of all, NICE CAR!
I don't think a modded car will adversely affect the sale. The right and informed buyer will appreciate the mods, especially if the car is priced right.

You need to decide if you want to keep the car or sell it. If you decide to sell it, you have to compare what others are getting for their cars. Unfortunately, you never get back all the money you spend on mods. Also, the '07s are right around the corner so that will make your car another year older.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks and no worries, I fully realize my $12k+ of mods would never even resell used if parted out for that much. I figured an additional $5k premium for all my mods. If that is 'out of hand' then I guess I indeed am better off keeping for myself to enjoy longer and let it depreciate more that way or even out/stabilize as other older models seemed to have stabilized on pricing.

Ideally I'd like to keep myself as I love the car so very much but I've yet to find a replacment job in my field after over a year of unemployement. Thankfully I'm not yet in a must sell situation so for now I can just wait to see what happens.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just for reference, our local dealership offered to sell me a new 2006 base Boxster (with 240 horsepower, 4 year warranty, and a glass rear window) for $43k.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:47 PM
racer
Drifting

I think this is why Pelican stopped letting folks post replies in their for sale section. The seller isn't looking for feedback. Just a sale. He mentions what he has and how much. If he doesn't get it, he'll just keep it. Realistic price? not sure. I wouldn't compare the success of the 993 sale to the potential sales sucess of the boxster. Two different types of car fans it seems. Good luck with the sale. Hope you get what you want for it. Looks sharp! Plus, if it doesn't sell, you get to enjoy it!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 AM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the sale. Either way you win.
I wouldn't take the feedback as critical, just opinions- you know the persepctive of the univolved is often the least biased and helpful. The market seems soft and a lot of inventory is out there. I a looking and it seems that 35K buys a late model S 2001-2003 with >20K or less than 15K. No mods, but I prefer to to those to my taste. I guess that's why so many sell their mods peicemeal to recoup the cost as when bundled, they rarely bring any additional value.

Interestingly, S/Y polarizes people as do mods. Some love it and must have it and perceive it to be scarse and thus pay more and others wouldn't take it for a 10K discount.

Let us know how it goes. BTW everything is negotiable, if one factors in time.

ScottS
Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Good luck with your sale. I hope you get it.

I just looked at and almost bought a 2003 Boxster S Porsche Certified - 12k mileage with extended warranty for 39K. And I thought it was high. 39K is the price listed in the NADA guide if the car was totaled out by the insurance company. This car was loaded with Porsche special options. You know what the value was in resale - 0.

A Porsche is a nice car and is hand built in many ways but it still a mass produced car especially the Boxster. Tons of them around with all kinds of mileage and colors. I see tons of them that get sold after a year after people dont drive it that much and realize they are not practical.

Realize that a Boxster is not a 993. For whatever reason the 993's are holding their value far better than 996.

Quick Reply: 02 Boxster S (only 9k miles) Reluctant Sale