Sponsored by:

New engines for Boxster and Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:45 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engines for Boxster and Boxster S

June 19, 2006 from Porsche AG. Stuttgart. In the new model year, which begins on August 1, the Boxster and Boxster S will be given more power and torque. Both these mid-engined sports cars will then offer even better road performance and low fuel consumption. The optional Tiptronic S transmission and the Sport Chrono Package have been given additional functions.

The 2.7-liter Boxster engine now develops an additional 5 bhp, bringing the total to 245 bhp (180 kW). Torque has increased to 273 Nm, available from 4,600 rpm. Fuel consumption is now 9.3 liters per 100 kilometers, a reduction of 0.3 l/100 km. The Boxster accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.1 seconds and has a top speed of 258 km/h. With the optional six-speed gearbox, 260 km/h can be achieved. The Boxster S engine, which has been increased in size from 3.2 to 3.4 liters, develops 295 bhp (217 kW) at 6,250 rpm – 15 bhp more than its predecessor – and 340 Nm of torque. The Boxster S sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in just 5.4 seconds – a tenth of a second quicker than the previous model. This open sports car’s top speed has gone up by 4 km/h to 272 km/h. Its average fuel consumption is 10.6 liters per 100 kilometers.

Both flat-six engines are now equipped with VarioCam Plus valve control, with variable valve timing (VarioCam) and changeover valve lift (Plus). Inlet camshaft timing is adjusted by a vane-type actuator with a range of 40 degrees. The valve lift changeover mechanism uses two-position bucket-type tappets on the inlet side, actuated by an electrohydraulic valve.

The bucket-type tappets consist of one tappet inside another; the two tappets can be locked together hydraulically by a pin. Thanks to this technical device, the Boxster and Boxster S engines have a characteristic that combines strong pulling power with high peak output at low fuel consumption.

The Boxster and Boxster S can be supplied with the revised Tiptronic S transmission, which has new hydraulics and electronics as well as variable shift programs. When combined with the Sport Chrono Package, the sporty characteristics of both these mid-engine roadsters can be experienced even more intensely: up- and downshifts are made only at engine speeds above 3000 rpm; downshifts for engine braking are subject to less delay and take place at higher engine speeds. In the manual-shift mode, up-shifts are not made automatically when the engine reaches its maximum rev limit.

On both Boxster models, access for servicing has been improved: the coolant and engine oil filler caps are now behind an easily accessible flap, so that better use can be made of the rear trunk. For the first time, the Boxster and Boxster S are available with the 19-inch turbo forged alloy two-tone wheels that were developed exclusively for the new 911 Turbo. For Boxster models they are offered as an option in sizes 8 J x 19 (front) and 9 ½ J x 19 (rear).

The basic price for the new Boxster is 37,700 euros. Including sales tax and country-specific requirements, it costs 43,935 euros in Germany. The Boxster S has a basic price of 45,600 euros. With sales tax and country-specific requirements added, this more powerful model costs 53,099 euros.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...so now the convertibles have the same motors / are the same power as the Cayman cars....yet the Cayman cars are more expensive. The sh*t is going to hit the fan now...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Wonder how much for just a new engine (and would it drop into my 99)
Old 06-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When my '99 blew it's motor, I found out (too late) that I could have dropped a (then) Boxster S motor in with little trouble. I can't imagine it would be that hard!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:41 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always good news when HP is going up. The fun never stops!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kabel_Boxster
Wonder how much for just a new engine (and would it drop into my 99)
Don't expect it to be easily bolt-in. There are substantual differences in the Boxster transmissions, axles, engine mounts, etc. between S and non-S models. The S engine will not bolt to a non-S transmission. Porsche also changes by generations the wiring and engine management. The same generation Boxster S engine is a good swap if you get the transmission, cradle, axles and wiring harness. It is best to get everything to put the motor in and actually get something else. An early 996 Carrera 3.4l is the hot ticket. The engine bolts up to the S transmission end engine mounts. This is essentially making the swap like an 07' will have from the factory. There isn't a lot involved in adapting the wiring harnes either. Later 996 3.6l and X51 engines are good swaps in 03-04' Boxster S'. 997 Carrera S and X51 engines are good swaps for 987 Boxster S'. These are all typical conversions RUF will do.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Later 996 3.6l and X51 engines are good swaps in 03-04' Boxster S'
Actually the Boxster S wire harness will work with the 3.6L engine starting with the year 02.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

(not that I have the $$ to even consider doing a swap, but...) are there any issues with the newer engines being fit with egas?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want to mess around with one of the "new" motors when the 996 3.4 into a 1999 Boxster is a tried and true swap, making the same or more HP as the Cayman?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

I’m quite new to the Porsche world, so I did not really know about the 996 swap. Just daydreaming at this point.

I’ll have some fun and search the forum for more info about that swap. I am only now discovering that HP corrupts… and I want more.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Xavier6162
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Wow...so now the convertibles have the same motors / are the same power as the Cayman cars....yet the Cayman cars are more expensive. The sh*t is going to hit the fan now...

It has indeed.

http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?...le=Cayman+Chat

The Administrator of Cayman Club has been locking threads in an effort to control emotions.

After only six months, noticed the list of Caymans 4 sale is growing. This presents an excellent opportunity for prospective Cayman owners to save some money and get a good deal. Yep, it's a good opportunity as more and more ACO's (Angry Cayman Owners) dump their cars for 07 Boxsters.

But joking aside though, that was pretty low on Porsche’s part. Not that anyone couldn’t accept that Porsche would one day up the HP on the Boxster again. But to do it at six months after the Cayman’s début is a little underhanded.

I’m sure Porsche has known or planed for the HP increase months before the Cayman went on sale. But to price and market the Cayman as a new model with new engine between the Boxster and 911 and use that reasoning as an excuse to charge $$$Ks more for the Cayman is now seen as a very deceptive move. Especially when the 2007 Boxster S comes out without a major price increase.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
But joking aside though, that was pretty low on Porsche’s part. Not that anyone couldn’t accept that Porsche would one day up the HP on the Boxster again. But to do it at six months after the Cayman’s début is a little underhanded.

I’m sure Porsche has known or planed for the HP increase months before the Cayman went on sale. But to price and market the Cayman as a new model with new engine between the Boxster and 911 and use that reasoning as an excuse to charge $$$Ks more for the Cayman is now seen as a very deceptive move. Especially when the 2007 Boxster S comes out without a major price increase.
You're kidding right? With all due respect, the people complaining about Cayman pricing/Boxster power increases on the caymanclub.com and elsewhere are idiots.

The Cayman is a hardtop. The Boxster is not. The Boxster was designed many years ago as a roadster. Developing the Cayman was a recent decision and required new design, testing, etc.

But that aside, what's more is that many of those whining don't seem to grasp even the most fundamental business concepts, such as supply and demand. And I must've missed the law that outlines how vehicle pricing must be determined...roadsters $4,000 less than hardtops, pretty colors more than ugly ones, etc. Porsche (and any other car manufacturer for that matter) is basically free to price their cars however they see fit - whether it makes sense to you and I or not. The market will determine if the product offered is a viable option. And predatory or deceptive pricing?! These people obviously have no clue as to what they're talking about. How about when GM offered their "employee discount" to everyone a year or so ago? How would you like to have purchased a GM car a month prior to that offer?

Like I said, idiots...and I hope those that say they'll sell their car never to buy a Porsche again hold true to their word - they obviously bought the car for the wrong reasons.

Back to the topic at hand, I think it's great to see the Boxster S get a bump in displacement. Honestly, I wish the hp and torque were bumped a bit more as well. The larger engine also means more weight and the 3.4 certainly has more potential than 295 horses. All in all though, a much needed boost especially when you look at the competition (new M Roadster for example).

Last edited by J-RAD; 06-23-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any complaints about Cayman pricing should have been taken into consideration when it first came out, not now that Cayman S and Boxster S will be sharing the same engines. We’re talking about a measly 15 hp here and I defy anyone who thinks it is a significant difference and who can even detect the difference. Many of us knew the Boxster S was a bargain by comparison. If anyone thinks they were screwed by an early Cayman purchase they have only themselves to blame. I mean did they actually think they were getting that much more engine?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

What are the odds that this new HP gain is in response to the new M Roadster and M Coupe? As soon as I read about BMW's new edition of the Z4, and their stated goal of taking on the 911 and Boxster S I knew Porsche was going to have to retaliate. And I have to admit I got more excited about the prospect of a new Boxster or Cayman than I have been since I bought mine. Porsche is going to have to do something with the Cayman and 911 to remain competitive. If not in 2007 it'll definitely be in 2008.

So far everything I know about the M Roadster and M Coupe is based on what I read. I can't wait to drive one. I have a renewed fascination with BMW, that I haven't had since before driving my Boxster S the first time.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NetManiac
What are the odds that this new HP gain is in response to the new M Roadster and M Coupe? As soon as I read about BMW's new edition of the Z4, and their stated goal of taking on the 911 and Boxster S I knew Porsche was going to have to retaliate. And I have to admit I got more excited about the prospect of a new Boxster or Cayman than I have been since I bought mine. Porsche is going to have to do something with the Cayman and 911 to remain competitive. If not in 2007 it'll definitely be in 2008.

So far everything I know about the M Roadster and M Coupe is based on what I read. I can't wait to drive one. I have a renewed fascination with BMW, that I haven't had since before driving my Boxster S the first time.
I agree with the idea that Porsche has to respond to BMW's offerings. I don't believe hp is a determining factor but some do...and it certainly doesn't hurt. Either way Porsche needs to be in the same ballpark. And it's not just BMW going after them.

Nonetheless, the new "M"s don't interest me for a host of reasons - a couple being: the engine is in the wrong spot and they're uglier than sin.

Quick Reply: New engines for Boxster and Boxster S