Sponsored by:

Question regarding LSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding LSD

I am corresponding with someone on ebay who is selling a 1998 boxster.

I asked if it had LSD and he responded, "I'm not sure, how can I tell?".

Actually I don't know either.

HOW DOES ONE TELL IF A 98 BOXSTER HAS LSD?

Thanks,
David (from the 951 board)
Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Assuming you don't mean the kind you put on your tongue...

To my knowledge the Boxster has never been offered with LSD. If it was offered, there should be an option code and I've never really seen one:
http://www.986faq.com/4-0/default.asp

Interestingly enough, however, this list does have a Parts catalog number of 224 - Automatic Limited Slip Differential (I still don't believe it was ever offered):
http://www.986faq.com/4-0/options.asp

However, they do offer PSM or traction control. They solve for similar issues.

Let's put it this way, if - by some chance - it was offered, it would be incredibly rare. Given that, it'd be safe to assume it doesn't have a LSD.

Just another source somewhat related to this topicfor you:
http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_ques...7240E0FB690%7D

Last edited by J-RAD; 06-23-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:56 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

J-RAD is correct, no US Boxster ever came with an LSD. You can get them aftermarket from Guard or Quaife, but not from the factory.

Guard makes them for the S, and Quaife for the non-S. I have the Guard in mine and like it very much.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I know for some traction control on some cars you can lift the car on rack and turn one wheel, if the other turns backward you do NOT have traction control, and if the other wheel stays put, you DO have traction control.

But i don't know if that applies to all cars and all traction control systems, and i doubt the seller is going to put it on the rack anyway.

This website says the boxster option for traction control is P37.

http://www.rahul.net/dennisp/boxster...ions.shtml#p37

However, i was hoping to be able to tell the seller, look in the back and blahblahblah.....or the ones with traction control have blahblahblah on them, or some easily definitive way of knowing. I'm really not that sure that I need it, the car is not over powered and it will be a toy not driven in the rain.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Traction Control (in Porsche lingo that's PSM) and LSD two different things. I've never heard that you can determine if a car has Traction Control by spinng a wheel. But I do know you can determine if it has an LSD that way (it's also a good way to determine if your LSD is still functional).

I do not have PSM, but I believe all cars with PSM have an off switch on the dash. Should say something like "PSM" (believe it or not ). If that does not exist then this car most likely does not have PSM.

However, all that aside if the seller will not let you get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) done then walk away. Something is amise and no matter how good the deal sounds it's likely not going to be worth it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NetManiac
J-RAD is correct, no US Boxster ever came with an LSD. You can get them aftermarket from Guard or Quaife, but not from the factory.

Guard makes them for the S, and Quaife for the non-S. I have the Guard in mine and like it very much.
Not to hijack this thread, but which Guard LSD did you go with? TBD, Motorsports, billet, etc.? and what % or ramps? How much for parts, install? Any other comments? Feel free to PM. I'm considering this when it comes time for a new clutch which is not right away.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:57 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually went pretty hardcore and got the "Track Only" with I believe a 40/80 split. I can't remember the price, sorry. If I have time, and remember I'll take a look in my stack of reciepts and see if I can find it.

I "feel" the LSD more under braking than acceleration. But that's not to say it is not helping, I just don't feel it as much. If you have ever gone deep and hard into a slightly off balance corner and felt the rear wiggle a little you will LOVE the LSD (a true locking LSD, not a TBD). The car feels so much more stable it is awesome. I'm more confident and comfortable, which equates to deeper and harder into the same corner (i.e. reduced lap times).

I do notice the locking a bit on the street when turning into parking spaces and the like. But it works so well on the track that I choose to deal with the extra wear and tear on the parts.

One additional note. I do not believe you have to remove the transmission to put the diff in. I think you can just unbolt the existing one, slide it out, and replace it with the new one. You can call the guy who did mine (858-581-1101), he'll be glad to answer any more detailed questions.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Question regarding LSD