Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright guys....talk me out of it...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:33 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright guys....talk me out of it...

Well, I have been looking into trading my charger in on a boxster for around 8 months now. I know, I'd be taking a hit because of the depreciation on the charger, oh well. However, today I am going to go look at a 1998 model...supposed to be in great shape, but I am also checking out a 2003 Nissan 350z! I've heard great things about it, but never driven one. Here's hoping I don't fall in love!!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Two fundamentally different driving experiences, hard top VS soft top!

You have probably already read on the forum the early model slipped sleeve and of course RMS, has this Boxster experienced these two issues?
It does not affect all Boxster’s, mine has >75k with no issues.

Are you getting a PPI ? If the price allows it, I would get an aftermarket warranty even if you go with the 350z.

Gee, I’m not really giving you encouraging advice, but at least you knew going in.

The 350z is a awesome car, friend of mine owns one, but for me, it’s a Boxster all the way!

Good luck and let us know what you went with
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I have to say, the one thing I REALLY like about the 350z is it is a coupe. I am not a big fan of drop tops. I haven't had a chance to fully dive into the history of the Boxster yet, but I will. Not sure if either of these two examples will be the one I end up buying, more or less wanting a comparo out of the two. See which one I like more, then get on with the search. Then again, I may end up buying it there on the spot. lol
Old 09-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Go buy the 350, you know what will happen... you will regret not getting a Porsche, becuase you know a Porsche is what you really want. Am I off here??
Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like boxsters..... but given the choice between a 98 box and a 03 350 Id go 305z
Old 09-18-2006, 06:49 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Go buy the 350, you know what will happen... you will regret not getting a Porsche, becuase you know a Porsche is what you really want. Am I off here??
Like I did with the Charger? lol

This is a repost of what I put in the offtopic session:

I take the Boxster out first. Salesperson had me go down this winding road, lots of great curves and hills. Amazingly fun ride. The Boxster was great fun. Plenty of power, amazing handling, I just don't like convertables. At this point, the Boxster was still in the running...

Then we got back, and it was time to drive the Z. It was a base model. I didn't like some of the interior features of it (glovebox location, window controls, non-electric seats) but when it came time to drive it, oh man. The power difference was unreal. I have driven faster cars, but this thing still packed a mean punch. When it came time to hit some curves, it was all business. This thing handled amazing. I can't say BETTER than the boxster, which handled like a go cart, but close. It felt more like a sports car. It felt eerily similar to the 951, except with a little more aggresivness in it.

As for which I think I am going to buy....well....tough call still. Do I want more power plus warranty, or another Porsche in the driveway with lower insurance. Tough call right now. But at this point, the 350z is winning.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but in my Charger, I get around 18mpg average. The Boxster gets near 30. The 350z had a reading of 34mpg average.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

You can buy a good bottle of California wine for less than $50, whereas good French wines will run you at least a couple of hunderd dollars. I look at Porsches as the French wine. If both wines taste the same to you, you'd be foolish not to but the California wine. If Porsche doesn't stand out after the test drive, I'd go with the Z since it will be less costly to maintain.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:14 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Bxtr + HT = Cayman

Dude,

They already made this car for you. If you love the Boxter but want a coupe, buy the Cayman. That's what the Cayman is.

Alex
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Problem is, I can't afford a $50k car.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you cant affford a 50k car you probaly cant afford to maintain a usewd one
Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 PM
equ
Racer

Your post answers your own question. Get a 350z. I tested them recently and they're quite nice. I wouldn't go so far as bmw/porsche nice but nice. It's a bit heavy, but the car is low, growls, is fun to drive and if you can get used to the seat would likely make a great daily driver. You can get a base, new 06 in the 26-28k range. I found the 06 improvements to be worth it (interior, revvy engine, smoother shifter/clutch).

I went with the CayS in the end as I had a good budget and wanted a bigger step up from my 330i perf pack bmw (whose 235 horses were mysteriously close to the z's 300)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I can afford the maintenance. I can't afford over 1 grand a month for a car payment. Which is one thing making me swing towards the 350z...warranty...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Originally Posted by equ
Your post answers your own question. Get a 350z. I tested them recently and they're quite nice. I wouldn't go so far as bmw/porsche nice but nice. It's a bit heavy, but the car is low, growls, is fun to drive and if you can get used to the seat would likely make a great daily driver. You can get a base, new 06 in the 26-28k range. I found the 06 improvements to be worth it (interior, revvy engine, smoother shifter/clutch).

I went with the CayS in the end as I had a good budget and wanted a bigger step up from my 330i perf pack bmw (whose 235 horses were mysteriously close to the z's 300)
Yeah, I now pretty much am set on the Z. However, I still deep down feel bad for going against Porsche, but the Z is a fun car, and a little more meaty than the Boxster. If I could afford it, I would definatly swing a Cayman S...that is probably my favorite Porsche...and in around 5-6 years (about the time my Z would be paid for) I might get a pre-owned Cayman...you never know...
Old 09-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm between "fun" cars right now but have driven the 06 Z. I liked some aspects of it but wasn't overly impressed with the handling or power and some of the things about it (like the odd cross brace that just destroys any useful space in the back hatch) and it was harder to see out of them some other cars I've driven. But it did shift and drive quite well and I could definitely see it being a daily driver and fun car. For the price range it's a really good value - especially if you look at the base model or a lightly used one. Warranty is a nice to have as well. But I'm leaning back towards a Boxster S or older 911. The Z's not a bad choice though - it will definitely have more power and warranty than an older Boxster and the engine in the Z is fairly bulletproof and used in enough of then Nissan product line to keep it from being crazy expensive to maintain.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

You could buy a very lightly optioned base Boxster for low 40's.
Also, there was a Seal Gray '05 base Boxster at a local dealer with only 3K miles for $38K. I think it is a lot of car for that money, and I would prefer that over the 7.

Quick Reply: Alright guys....talk me out of it...