Sponsored by:

Custom Rear Speaker Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:31 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custom Rear Speaker Enclosure

Has anyone gone to the trouble of having a custom rear speaker enclosure fabricated and installed in their (986) Bxstr?

I had an '00 986 and went through the whole upgrade process and had the factory rear speakers installed as part of that process. I wasn't terribly happy with the result. I just bought an '04 986 and I'm starting the process again.

Now, I'm thinking that my local custom shop could probably make up a box that fit into that space and sound better than the wimpy factory kit but I'd love to see any photos of work that folks have already done. I have seen a local guy who had a custom bass box installed in the passenger side footwell, but I'm not too thrilled about the loss of foot room that resulted. Also, I'm not a boom-boom guy so massive bass isn't a priority for me.

The key issue I have with the factory kit is that the speakers are actually mounted behind the seats to preserve the storage space in the center. Since they're tweeter/midrange speakers, I'm thinking they might sound better in the center where they're not obstructed by the headrests. Also, I'm about 6 feet so I always drive with the seat all the way back.

At any rate, does anyone have guidance here? Pictures?

Alex
Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Actually, the speakers behind your head are really only woofers, despite their small size. They only reinforce the the lower tones. (yeah, I think it sounds kind of crazy too, and they sure don't add a whole lot to the sorry stereo, but I digress)
But, sorry, I have no enclosure suggestions. I thought the install in the factory spot was super simple.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by mhm993
Actually, the speakers behind your head are really only woofers, despite their small size. They only reinforce the the lower tones. (yeah, I think it sounds kind of crazy too, and they sure don't add a whole lot to the sorry stereo, but I digress)
But, sorry, I have no enclosure suggestions. I thought the install in the factory spot was super simple.
Huh, interesting. They're only about two inches across.

At any rate, yes the factory kit was very easy to install on my '00. Looked very "stock" once done.

Alex
Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

In my opinoin unless you run another amp to the rear speakers its not even worth upgraded the OEM rear speaker kit. The wattage that they get is soo low(I think about 5 watts per speaker) I dont think they get loud enough to even notice a difference between the OEM and some high end gear(CDT Audio,Focal,MB Quart and so on). Its just to fill in the sound.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
In my opinoin unless you run another amp to the rear speakers its not even worth upgraded the OEM rear speaker kit. The wattage that they get is soo low(I think about 5 watts per speaker) I dont think they get loud enough to even notice a difference between the OEM and some high end gear(CDT Audio,Focal,MB Quart and so on). Its just to fill in the sound.
Sorry, should have said, I'm definately planning on upgrading the head unit and installing a new amp. I did both of those things on my '00 and it made a big difference.

Those are pretty straightforward. In my '00, I got a nice Alpine amp and it was able to install right where the factory amp went and the new head unit was black and looked relatively "stock." My '04 has the "big" door speakers with the built in woofers so I'll probably keep those.

Alex
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Sounds like you are talking about an older 4x40 amp system. The same isn't true in a newer MY with the M490 option.

The newer MYs with the M490 option have a 6x40 amp and the rears are amplified. I changed out the dash speakers to MB Quart 4 1/2"; put 6" MB Quarts in the doors, and installed the PNP rear speaker kit in my '03. It made a HUGE difference in both the quality of the sound and the sound stage.

However, without changing the HU and the amp it is still very underpowered with the top down, but that is "phase II" of the project.

Quick Reply: Custom Rear Speaker Enclosure