Sponsored by:

2001 & 2007 Boxster Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Yokoa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 & 2007 Boxster Comparison

I have a 2001 Boxster and am interested in 2007. For people who have driven both, what differences will I note. My primary interest is in long distance touring and everyday commuting rather than track.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only driven the 987s briefly, but I remember noticably more power, significantly better interior quality, and of course a glass rear window (and slightly better top). The shifter was better, too. Oh, and it gets 32 mpg on the highway. I guess the bottom line is it's better on every level. I think noticably better.

For some bizarre reason, the Rennlist boards separate the 986 and 987 model Boxster threads ( ), so you might post the question on the 987 model Boxster board and get more responses. Most of them have probably gone from a 986 to a 987.

Cheers.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yokoa
My primary interest is in long distance touring and everyday commuting rather than track.
quite a bit.
Edmunds.com is your friend.
you can run the models right up the line and see the whole progression.

may I suggest a 996 to better suit your purpose.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Actually for every day driving the roadster of the Porsche brand is as good as you will find.
Two trunks in the Boxster can bring home quiet a good haul from Costco. The 996 might as well be a two seater as well because I've heard people claim it to be 2+2 but when have you ever seen 4 adults in a Carrera? I guess its like the Roadster for families, well at least the 996 Cabriolet.

As far as long trips, for winter the Carrera is better although not worlds better than a Boxster with a hardtop. Long trips in summer and its not nearly as close. I rented a hard top mustang on a three hour drive from Orlando to Miami and that trip alone convinced me I could never give up the top down experience. Gorgeous day with the top down makes the trip feel whole lot shorter.

I've driven the base 987 and have owned my 986S for two years. I didn't feel a big difference.
I tailed a 987S that was being driven FOR REAL and it seemed like it would have made a bigger impression on me than the 2.7 987. I don't at all care for new 987 interior, seemed to me like it was too SUV-like. I much prefer the interior on the new Z4 Coupe for instance. And those side air intakes on the new Boxster must be some kind of inside joke at Porsche. I'd swap those with the Cayman ones ASAP. Actually now that I think about it a CaymanS sound like a good option for you too, if you can find a CPO one you will lose very little when you sell it. Its very popular across all the Porsche Forums.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:35 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seats. Rear Window. lots of little things

First, i should point out that I chose a NOS 2004 over a new 2005 based on a significnat price difference. So I obviously didint see this as black and white.

However, between 2000- 2004 there were a lot of improvements, too - glove box, galss rear window, more power.

Sicne you are mostly concerned with it as GT car, the 2005+ will offer significantly better seats, more storage cubbyholes, a glove-box, a quieter top and a glass window.

On the downside it has no spare. Some prefer the new Aisin Tranny, others dont.

Grant

Quick Reply: 2001 & 2007 Boxster Comparison