Sponsored by:

New College Graduate

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New College Graduate

Well, the time has come to purchase another vehicle. Having recently graduated from the University of Texas at Austin Electrical Engineering school, I am looking at options I have for a ~20k vehicle to use as a daily driver. So far I have narrowed it down to three choices: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (arguably the most off-road capable stock sport utility), a 2000-2002 Boxster S, and a 1986 Porsche 911. I know pros and cons of the Jeep, and the 86 911 is my father's which I could get for ~18k.

Question here is what do you think about a boxster S as far as reliability and average maintenance. I don't want something I will be spending 3-4k a year for maintenance on (very possible with the 86). However, I don't want a boring car which is my reason for not getting an Audi/BMW/Volvo/etc. I know many of you faced similar situations right when you finished school, what are your thoughts? One thing is for certain, the 91 K5 Blazer I have has got to go as a daily driver...no more single front axle on the road.

-Robert D
Old 02-24-2007, 04:19 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if 3-4k a year is going to break you id get the jeep
Old 02-24-2007, 10:00 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

To be honest,unless you have a flexible income a Porsche isn't the thing for you....UNLESS,you learn how to work on it yourself.

Example,oil change;
Dealer- $300
Indie- $180
D.I.Y(1-1.5 hour) - $60 oil,$16 for oil filter w/ o-ring & drain plug w/ washer

cabin filter;
dealer-$115
D.I.Y.(5 minutes,no joke) - $15 for the cabin filter

Oh yeah and one more thing,whatever you get,no matter what the cost,be sure you will be happy with it and never think back wondering"I wonder if I should have bought (insert car)"

Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
mreric
Advanced

I think the Boxster would be WAY cheaper and you would be happier with it than the 911, but the Jeep is practically new, with Warranty, and maintenance is a lot less on the Jeep. 3-4k maintenance is probably close to what you would be doing, since it will be a Boxster with some miles on it. Tires on these cars do not last long, branes aren't cheap, oil changes are pretty pricey, even the battery is more than a regular car's. BUT it is a Porsche and there are very few things that compare.and ESPECIALLY that compare for around 20k.

If fun factor and getting stares while driving are things you like, the Boxster is GREAT for that. People ALWAYS stare when I go thru intersections or at stoplights with my top down, and I live in a part of town with Maseratis, Bentleys, and ferraris zooming by all the time. You won't be disappointed in the attention-getting factor of the Boxster.

My other car is a Jag. that's a different story. stay FAR away from them. they are pretty little nightmares :-)
Old 02-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I guess I should have included more in my original post. I previously had an '88 944S, which I loved to death... The 3-4k per year in maintenance I'm considering is for expenses I don't have the time to repair (anything involving tearing apart the motor and/or replacing major components). I enjoyed working on my 944S, continue to enjoy messing with my current truck, and will enjoy doing minor work on the Boxster but I cannot assume I will have the time to take on major work. I've been looking at 2000 to 2002 Boxster S models in the 20-24k range. Personally, I'd like to get something I can take and AutoX a few times a year without worrying too too much about it falling apart.

As for flexible income, I don't have any kids or a spouse and there isn't really anything short-term to impede with my ability to afford maintenance on one of these. I just want to get a feel for what to expect to shell out each year into the P-car abyss. As for which vehicle I desire most, the Porsche hands down. I'll keep reading up on them to try to discover any problem spots with different years; from what I've seen so far I need to stay clear from pre-2000 vehicles?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Tierce
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by Robert D
I guess I should have included more in my original post. I previously had an '88 944S, which I loved to death... The 3-4k per year in maintenance I'm considering is for expenses I don't have the time to repair (anything involving tearing apart the motor and/or replacing major components). I enjoyed working on my 944S, continue to enjoy messing with my current truck, and will enjoy doing minor work on the Boxster but I cannot assume I will have the time to take on major work. I've been looking at 2000 to 2002 Boxster S models in the 20-24k range. Personally, I'd like to get something I can take and AutoX a few times a year without worrying too too much about it falling apart.

As for flexible income, I don't have any kids or a spouse and there isn't really anything short-term to impede with my ability to afford maintenance on one of these. I just want to get a feel for what to expect to shell out each year into the P-car abyss. As for which vehicle I desire most, the Porsche hands down. I'll keep reading up on them to try to discover any problem spots with different years; from what I've seen so far I need to stay clear from pre-2000 vehicles?
I think I can be of some help to you. First of all, I'm in a similar situation. I'll turn 24 in June, I had a 951 previously and maintenance got to be too much for me timewise more than anything. (I do all of my own work, which can help with expenses). Not sure if you do or not. I went shopping for a Honda S2000 because I didn't think I could afford the Porsche expenses after purchasing the car. After spending a couple of months looking, I found my 2000 S and purchased it at $22k with 60k miles, then sold the 951 pretty cheap.

I've had the Boxster since August now, and thoroughly enjoy it. It is a daily driver and gets more miles than probably anybody else on here can claim. And the maintenance has been relatively cheap. I've also found that it is easy to work on, for regular problems.

Feel free to ask questions, but for the money you're wanting to spend, I don't think you could go wrong with a Boxster, especially if you get the "S". It's fast enough to get you in trouble, but it won't break the bank, as they say.

JMHO.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:08 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

along with maintenance, don't forget the $500-1200 a year worth of tires you'll go through on the boxster, rears will last roughly 10k miles +/- 3k depending on how you drive

if you can work on your car yourself then maintenance isn't bad like the guys have said, in the last 16 months and 20k miles I've spent maybe $2000, 1/2 of that was in tires, $550 was my only dealer experience with service (15k service) $200 on my own oil and filters, and the rest on tools like a brake bleeder and a better torque wrench than I'd had

even if you count the winter wheels/tires I bought and the used hard top in as "maintenance" it's still under $4k

btw, I put 70 miles a day on it
Old 02-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Good to hear Tierce. I did do relatively all the maintenance on my 88 944S aside from times when I was too swamped with school and work to manage what the car needed as well. The boxster will be used as my daily driver, however, I will only put ~10k miles a year on it. Looks like I'll be happy with another 'S' in my parking spot! Thanks everyone.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Tierce
Pro

the best things about switching from a 944 to a boxster is:

NO MORE BELTS

Although you do have the serpentine belt, it is only a 30 minute job at most. I did the 60k service on mine a couple of weeks after buying it, and had it done in just a few hours. This is a dream car as far as maintenance. I'll admit there have been a few things I didn't expect, but all in all, it's worth the money.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Now that is what I'm talking about...and the money I'd be spending on a lift/tires/wheels/bumpers/etc for a jeep will now be put away for unexpected issues with the boxster. I've been missing my Porsche too...every time I drive down a windy road out near the lake it takes me back, haha. It's interesting that another 944 driver enjoys the Boxster so much. At the Houston auto show I went through all of the new convertables and the only one which felt just right was the Porsche. Now to decide on colors....tough decision too, they all look good to me.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:54 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to show my kid this thread - and that picture. He's a BIG Longhorn fan, and of course, he loves our Boxster.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Tierce
Pro

Now that is what I'm talking about...and the money I'd be spending on a lift/tires/wheels/bumpers/etc for a jeep will now be put away for unexpected issues with the boxster. I've been missing my Porsche too...every time I drive down a windy road out near the lake it takes me back, haha. It's interesting that another 944 driver enjoys the Boxster so much. At the Houston auto show I went through all of the new convertables and the only one which felt just right was the Porsche. Now to decide on colors....tough decision too, they all look good to me.

Actually, the 944 and Boxster both have pretty neutral handling with close to 50/50 weight balance, so it really isn't THAT unusual. But the boxster has more creauture comforts and is more up to date.

Believe me when I tell you to take a vacuum leak seriously. I had an oil dipstick tube that had cracked before I bought the car. Ended up replacing all the o2 sernsors. That's really been my only unexpected problem.

Personally, I wouldn't buy another 944 after having the boxster. Just don't see the benefits. JMHO.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by First986NJ
I have to show my kid this thread - and that picture. He's a BIG Longhorn fan, and of course, he loves our Boxster.
The car in the picture is actually a dark green 76 912E of my brothers, I photoshopped it for fun! After spending the last 4 1/2 years at UT it is tough to leave, the school is such a fun place to be. Coming out of UT with a BS in Electrical Engineering has opened many doors for me, it's nice to capitalize on my investment and it will be much nicer to drive another Porsche soon!

Hook Em.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Tierce
Pro

Coming out of UT with a BS in Electrical Engineering

How does it feel having a degree in BS?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

What's even better is spending 4 1/2 years to get a BS degree in Electrical Engineering.

Quick Reply: New College Graduate