Sponsored by:

top problems help??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:06 AM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default top problems help??

man it never fails, fix something (leaking cam cover gaskets) and then BAM something else breaks...

so I open the top for a ride, get home to close it and it closes normally but it does not quite make it all the way closed, it seems closed but the light is still on saying it is not completely closed....

so I push the button to close it all the way and I hear very wicked griding noises and the top doesn't budge.

It wont open, close completely, or move an inch. I can hear the motors trying to run, very faintly, but no movement.

anybody have something like this? I know the relay and fuses are good, cause I can hear the motors, but just barely.

Everything else electrical seems to work just dandy.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:21 AM
mreric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can hear the motor run, I bet one of the top transmissions went out. Pretty easy to replace yourself, but I would check to see that the motor is working correctly, and none of the top parts that attach to the transmissions are broken first. Mine made a grinding noise, and after tinkering around, figured out it was the drivers side top transmission. Ebay'd for used transmission and an hour of labor to replace and it was fixed...
Old 05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

i will bet that it's not the transmission, and that it IS the cables.

see this thread to learn how to check your conv top cables to make sure they are the correct length. usually this is the problem.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=68

you want to make sure you don't try to move the top anymore until you know what the problem is. it can be VERY expensive if you break something.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i bet your broke the push rods too
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 AM
mreric
Advanced

My cable was bad when I had issues, but it went bad because the transmission went bad. could be 1 or several issues, all with same outcome... no top.

Quick Reply: top problems help??