Sponsored by:

Replacing CDR23 HU with Alpine - wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:14 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing CDR23 HU with Alpine - wiring question

I'm replacing my CDR23 (and amp) with an Alpine 9885 HU, and I'm told that some late model VW wiring harness adapters may work on a Boxster.

Anybody out there have any idea which VW models/years might be candidates to be used on a MY03 Base Boxster with a CDR23? Not finding too may off the shelf wiring adapters for Porsches at the Crutchfields or Woofersetc of the world
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not find one 2 years agon when I did mine, so I ended up with the old cut and splice of the wires coming out of the CDR220
Good luck
Randy
Old 06-23-2007, 01:42 AM
mreric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a harness off a same year VW (all the same harness) and it worked perfectly... well it worked, some of the wires did nothing if memory serves me corectly. I think that there was also a switch up on 2 of them, so it may take a wee bit of experimenting. I would take the old headunit into a shop and compare the back of it to the harness they sell, just to check. I ripped out a CDR-220, so it might be different? You will also need an antenna converter to switch from the odd euroupean antenna to the standard US antenna.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by mreric
I used a harness off a same year VW (all the same harness) and it worked perfectly... well it worked, some of the wires did nothing if memory serves me corectly. I think that there was also a switch up on 2 of them, so it may take a wee bit of experimenting. I would take the old headunit into a shop and compare the back of it to the harness they sell, just to check. I ripped out a CDR-220, so it might be different? You will also need an antenna converter to switch from the odd euroupean antenna to the standard US antenna.
Yes, the one I was given was for VW/Audi 1987 and up. It worked to some degree, but really wasn't worth the bother in the end. My 2003/MOST/M490 system wiring harness plug doesn't carry usable switched 12v, remote, or illumination leads, and they all have to be run separately anyway. The only thing the harness adapter gave me was an easy pickup of the ground and constant 12v leads.

BTW....Damn, does this thing ever sound good with this Alpine 9885 and 100w per channel power pumping through there! Volume and clarity with the top down are certainly not a problem any more...!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
First986NJ
Racer

BTW everyone, I would highly recommend this Alpine CDA-9885 unit to anyone without hesitation.

It mounts in the Porsche console nicely, without ugly fill plates being needed, and looks like it belongs there. It doesn't have a blingy appearance as many of the units available today do. The sound is clear and full. The 4v outputs of the 9885 make a noticable difference in the clarity over the 9883 - if you are feeding an external amp, otherwise the 9883 is a great unit as well.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 PM
powderhound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lucky to have time to play

I'm glad to hear you are doing so many cool things to your boxster, I wish I had the time to work on mods on mine, Just a little more time to drive it would be nice. Keep up the good work, enjoy and keep inspiring us to do the same.

Still trying to find the time to upgrade the speakers like you did
Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by powderhound
I'm glad to hear you are doing so many cool things to your boxster, I wish I had the time to work on mods on mine, Just a little more time to drive it would be nice. Keep up the good work, enjoy and keep inspiring us to do the same.

Still trying to find the time to upgrade the speakers like you did
Actually, I just upgraded them again ! Crutchfield was running some specials on some of the Polk Audio speakers, so I ordered a complete set of the Polk DB series speakers to replace everything in the car: db351 3 1'2" drivers for the PNP rear speaker kit; db650 6 1/2" for the doors, and db400 4" drivers for the fronts. They are in, and sound super with the Alpine and the 100wpc amp !

Quick Reply: Replacing CDR23 HU with Alpine - wiring question