Sponsored by:

Factory Stereo Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
tah
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Stereo Q's

Looks like I'll be getting back into the Porsche game. Looking at 2001 ~ 03 Boxster S's and have a question.

A lot of the lisitngs I see list a cassette player. Is this right? Not a CD on this quality car?

Thanks in advance...........
Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 AM
artandscience
Track Day

Default CD/cassette

I believe the 220 head unit is a CD and the earlier ones came with a 210 (this is prior to the conversion to fibre optics) which was cassette.

I _think_ that's right. Having just bought a 2001 last week, I'm still learning.

cheers,
S.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Tierce
Pro

I have a 2000 S with the 220 (cd player, no cassette). You should only be able to get the cassette if you request it when buying new.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:10 AM
mreric
Advanced

presonally I would not go with the factory CD player, but instead use an aftermarket. I pulled my CDR220 out because I did not like it. replaced the headunit and it made a big difference in sound quality. still not good, but more like marginally acceptable; with the top down can't hear much on the interstate anyway...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the HU improves the sound, yes, but the stock paper cone drivers are crap too, and the M490 amp is both poor quality and underpowered for a cabrio. If you don't replace the drivers and the HU, at a minimum, don't expect much in the way of sound quality or volume with the top down.

For under $1000 you can replace the HU, Amp and speakers if you shop around and watch places like Crutchfield.com and woofersetc.com for deals. The sound quality will be hugely improved, and you can hear your tunes crisp and clear even while tooling down I80 at 95 mph.

Polk Audio, Infinity, or MB Quart drivers to replace the crap paper coned stock speakers are reasonably priced, easy to install, and a HUGE improvement as a starter. Next dump the Becker head unit for a good Alpine or Nakamichi unit (with pre-outs) that has the features you want and the sound gets MUCH better again. Not necessary, but recommended, is adding the PNP rear shelf speaker kit. With it, the sound stage opens up to fill the whole car. Finally, add a couple of Profile, Alpine, or Infinity amps, or a single 5 or 6 channel amp, at 70 watts per channel or better, and that will take care of the top down issues.

Icing on the cake is to add a subwoofer. Not much room in the Boxster for 12" boomer cabinets if you don't want to give up the rear boot, but you'd be suprised at the bass you get out of a 6" Bazooka tube or Kenwood's KSC-SW1, both of which can be found for under $150 over the internet, and both of which can be mounted behind the passenger seat easily and without giving up much seat adjustment.

Good luck with your new ride.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:55 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

first986NJ, not trying to steal the thread, but I got a pair of MB Quart speakers to replace the dash speakers and after looking at it, it didn't appear that easy to do. Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM
artandscience
Track Day

I think you'll likely need vfxbox's adapters unless you want to bugger the stock speaker mounts, plus a VW wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield. With these two additions, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the MB Quarts into the stock mounting area. That said, my install is this coming weekend..
Old 07-17-2007, 04:02 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg
first986NJ, not trying to steal the thread, but I got a pair of MB Quart speakers to replace the dash speakers and after looking at it, it didn't appear that easy to do. Any suggestions?
Sorry CaptPegLeg, been busy for a couple of days and haven't been reading the forums. You have 3 basic options: 1) cut the stock drivers out of their frames so you can use their mountings for the new speakers. Instructions can be found here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6617
2) get your hands on a set of vfxbox's adapters, or 3) get a set of grills that are similar and make your own mounts. 2 is the easiest, followed by 1. I think there are a set of Dynaudio 4" component speakers that have a grill that is similar in shape to the stock ones.

If you study the pics of vfxbox's adapter closely, you can probably figure out how they work and make a set out of 1/8" lexan or something similar.

Not that hard...but not effortless either....and worth the work...the stock drivers really suck.

Last edited by First986NJ; 07-17-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by artandscience
I believe the 220 head unit is a CD and the earlier ones came with a 210 (this is prior to the conversion to fibre optics) which was cassette.

I _think_ that's right. Having just bought a 2001 last week, I'm still learning.
both the CDR-210 and CDR-220 are CD players. the CDR-210 can accept a CD changer, but has no AUX-IN (for iPod, etc.) the CDR-220 can accept a CD changer AND has AUX-IN.

the conversion to MOST (the fiber-optic connection between the headunit and amp) began in 2003 models.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1997 and it has a Stock CD player. CDR-210 I believe, the radio is useless lots of static.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

The Factory HI-Fi set up in my 01 has the 6 CD changer in the front hood area, behind the face plate is the cassette player. Just used it for instructional tapes, not music. As much as I listen to music, will not even upgrade on next car.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 PM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Default CD Changer on a CDR-210

How can you put a CD Changer on a CDR-210? It does not have RCA's or UNILINK connection found in the CDC-3.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 AM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IXLOR8
How can you put a CD Changer on a CDR-210? It does not have RCA's or UNILINK connection found in the CDC-3.
there is an ISO plug on the back of the 210 where you plug the CD changer in. it's on page 30 of the radio manual.

if you don't have one, you can download it here (you'll need to register and login first) http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...s&showfile=543

Quick Reply: Factory Stereo Q's