Sponsored by:

New to Porsche, looking at a 2002 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Miataflogger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Porsche, looking at a 2002 Boxster S

I've been a Miata enthusiast over the years and had been looking a getting a new, 2008 Miata GT until I saw this local Boxster S for sale. It is Lapis Blue with grey leather. She is selling it to get a Carerra.

2002 Porsche Boxster S - $29600
Excellent Condition; 40k miles; Fully loaded PLUS the following upgrades:
*Upgraded exhaust
*High flow Air Filter
*B & H Short Shifter
*Eibach Lowering Springs
*SSR High-quality 18-inch rims
*Michelin Pilot Sport rib tires
*Alpine in-dash CD w/ XM radio
*Smoked rear tail lights
*Grey side markers
*Heated Seats
Two owner vehicle: first owner was local doctor; currently owned by female who babies this car.

I'm going to look at it Friday morning. What should I ask about? Any issues with this year? Are the Eibach springs be too stiff for a daily driver? Price?

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

Last edited by Miataflogger; 02-28-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

I just bought an 02 S. Mine had 23K miles and I paid $25K. I know she put a lot of money into the upgrades, but the car sounds a bit expensive - even if babied. My car was as new with upgraded wheels.

Definitely get a PPI.

The Miata is a GREAT car. I love them. You will be thrilled with the torque and power difference.

Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM
senna21
Racer

Agreed that price is high. Boxster prices are coming down pretty hard it seems, I've been watching them for about 6 months, and with the economy slowing it looks like some more people are getting rid of their weekend toys.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Price is high even with the nice SSR wheels.

In addition to PPI, you should also make sure the shocks aren't blown. Lowering springs wear out stock shocks very easily.

Cheers,
Toby
Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Third the high price. Maybe 26 with all that stuff and the mileage IMHO.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Sputter
Pro

Don't buy that "babied by a woman" thing. They scare me the most. Do most women even know how to check the oil? Some do, even more don't. Women I know drive like a bat out of hell with no thought to the vehicle.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
senna21
Racer

Yea, the "He-he, I'm just a girl!" doesn't jive with the laundry list of go fast upgrades to the car. Add in the fact that she's selling it to get a new Cerarra tells me the Boxster isn't gong fast enough for her any more.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Miataflogger
Rennlist Member

Default Test drove it today!!

Thanks for the responses.

What a sweet ride, with the sexiest exhaust note I have ever heard. The clutch took a little getting used too and the short shifter took a firm push, but very direct and positive shifting. The ride did not seem any firmer than my friends S2000. It does not have PSM , Litronics (HID), or keyless entry (not sure if this year offered it?). It does has a very high-end Alpine unit with XM. The tires are fresh but will be a major maintenance expense! The paint is flawless and the wheels are beautiful. I WANT IT!!!!!

She already has a 2005 997 Cab. in her gararge so she may be anxious to sell. After researching other Boxster S's for sale, I might offer her $26K and be willing to give $27k.
Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
OrionKhan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the other posters that her price was high, particularly for a car in CA. But if its exactly what you want, go for it. Years down the road you won't care if you could have spent a $1000 less for a car that you didn't like the color of or had different wheels, etc. You didn't mention it, ask her about the service records. She should have them if she is fanatical about babying the car. If she doesn't have them, use that to negotiate the price down. And definitely get a PPI.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 AM
driven2hvn
Cruisin'

I agree with OrionKahn, price is a little high for USA, but if you love it, go for it. Offer 27K and get it over with..lol.
Sputter, you have issues with women drivers apparently, lots of men drivers I know are just as hard on the cars, gears etc. So, lets look at who really 'babys' their cars....
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The price isn't a little too high. It's WAY too high for a 2002. Check around on ebay, Autotrader, etc. and I think you'll find that a 2002 with that mileage should be around $22K-$24K. If you're willing to spend $25K+, get a 2003+ Boxster S, which will have the glass rear window. You'll be happier with the car because the vinyl is a PITA. It was my only complaint about my 2001 Boxster S.

It sounds like you found a nice car, but there are plenty of nice Boxsters out there. Don't be impatient and jump on the first one you look at unless it's the right deal.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:35 PM
petros600
Intermediate

I am selling mine for $24k, its 02 Boxster S with 19,500 miles, Its CPO until 1/09
Let me know if you are interested.
Petros600@aol.com
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT- but....

I noticed that not many women seem to understand that a speed bump is designed to make you slow down. It seems like many women I see just drive over them as if they were just hairline cracks in the pavement.

A senseless generalization... but.... I am having a bad morning....

Carry on.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no HID aka Litronics.Big Minus...EVen Nissan's have those. That has become a very desireable yet very expensive upgrade with the dollar in the toilet vs the Euro. I paid $1100 for mine in a Brandywine group buy a couple of years ago, I doubt you can get them for less than $2K now. Not much in terms of interior upgrade either.
I wouldn't offer $26K. It's a buyer's market and the mileage isn't that low for two previous "casual" drivers. I say keep looking...
The car should have key less entry if it has a remote clicker. Either the clicker died or it needs to reprogrammed.
The difference being $80 or $300.

p.s.
Used wheels don't get very much on resale. They probably cost $2K new and depending on mileage, I doubt she would get $800 today.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
senna21
Racer

Originally Posted by perfectlap
no HID aka Litronics.Big Minus...EVen Nissan's have those. That has become a very desireable yet very expensive upgrade with the dollar in the toilet vs the Euro. I paid $1100 for mine in a Brandywine group buy a couple of years ago, I doubt you can get them for less than $2K now. Not much in terms of interior upgrade either.
I wouldn't offer $26K. It's a buyer's market and the mileage isn't that low for two previous "casual" drivers. I say keep looking...
The car should have key less entry if it has a remote clicker. Either the clicker died or it needs to reprogrammed.
The difference being $80 or $300.

p.s.
Used wheels don't get very much on resale. They probably cost $2K new and depending on mileage, I doubt she would get $800 today.
+1

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, looking at a 2002 Boxster S