Sponsored by:

2003 Boxster 2.7 cam/lifter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Turbo211
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Boxster 2.7 cam/lifter replacement

My wife's 2003 Boxster with 32K miles recently developed a clicking noise on cold start which lasted several minutes per start up. The dealer initially diagnosed two stuck lifters but once opened up also states a cam requires replacement. The car is a Tip and my wife does not overrev the engine. I have owned a number of Porsche's and have never experienced a cam issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
tracke30m3
Instructor

Sorry I'm not gonna be of any help.

I would just like to ask how loud is this ticking noise? Does it vary with engine speed?

This info would come in handy if ever I hear a ticking noise on my car in the future.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
roach13
Instructor

I had the same problem with a 2003, they replaced the intake cam and all the lifters. My check engine light came on no noise that I could hear.

It was in the shop for 14 days while they figured out the problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
senna21
Racer

Were both of these standard or "S" models? Also which bank (side) of cylinders did this occur on?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
roach13
Instructor

Mine was a standard it was on the as your sitting in the car right side bank.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Probably one or more cam shaft lobes flattened out...

Originally Posted by Turbo211
My wife's 2003 Boxster with 32K miles recently developed a clicking noise on cold start which lasted several minutes per start up. The dealer initially diagnosed two stuck lifters but once opened up also states a cam requires replacement. The car is a Tip and my wife does not overrev the engine. I have owned a number of Porsche's and have never experienced a cam issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Hasn't happened to my '02 Boxster but I had a 510 Datsun -- many years ago -- that after I sold it the buyer (a car salesman!) told me he pulled the camshaft cover and found the hot Isky camshaft had a worn lobe. He went back to a stock camshaft (and maybe a camshaft follower or two) and engine as good as new.

Everyone worries about the pistons/rings/cylinders wearing out prematurely and they certainly can under the right circumstances, but the camshaft lobe/lifter interface is one harsh environment. The valve spring pushes back with a force of around (roughly) 170 lbs when the valve fully open.

Given the very very thin and only a half inch so or wide cam face that contacts the lifter face this 170 lbs of pressure translates into maybe 170,000 pounds per square inch of pressure there. Every other revolution of the crankshaft, from 350 times per minute at idle to 3600 times a minute at redline, day in, day out, engine cold, warm, or hot, with fresh oil or oil with 15,000 miles on it...

The problem might have been a marginal camshaft lobe hardness treatment. But it might be due to extended oil change intervals.

With modern oil makers cutting back on anti-wear/anti-scuff additives to improve O2 sensor and catalytic converter performance for a longer period of time, many oil lubricated areas of the engine are at increased risk of accelerated wear, not the least of these areas is the camshaft lob valve lifter interfaces.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 2003 Boxster 2.7 cam/lifter replacement