Sponsored by:

Brake pedal not returning

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:00 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pedal not returning

Hey guys, Im finally finding time to work on the Boxster I bought a couple months ago. One of the main issues I need to address is that my brake pedal does not return after I depress it. The brakes will stick and I can't even creep. I've been pulling the brake pedal up to release the brakes from the rotors. The brakes are also mushy, which I believe is just air in the lines which I hope to address with a brake fluid flush.

Is there a spring on the master cylinder that could go bad? The pedal also sticks at initial depression...then it is mushy. Any help would be great, I hope to get the right parts to fix this when I do my pads this week.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suspect that the master cylinder is going bad, they usually leak. Look under where you add the brake fluid and see if you see it leaking, also look under the pedals as it can leak there too. If not then you are probably correct that you have a lot of air in the lines.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=15633
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies and the other thread. I ended up taking my booster off and sure enough there was a lot of water sitting in it. I cleaned off all the rust and dirt, reinstalled the booster and I still have sticky brakes. I have not tried flushing the fluid yet and Im sure the fact that I have to pull the brake pedal back up isn't helping. Could the booster be bad? Its a pretty basic part and I cleaned it up pretty well. Master cylinder maybe? Its not leaking at all though. Any more thoughts?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
curt_928
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

was just reading about this.. had the EXACT thing happen to my 1980 924 (RIP) when I was in college. I'd have to actually pull the brake pedal back with my foot after I depressed it.
It turned out to be a bad brake booster. I guess the seals go and the booster gets "sucked" down by the engine vacume. If a brake master cylinder goes, I'd expect weak brakes, leaking etc. Not a pedal that you have to pull back up.
For the 924 in the day a booster was about 80 bucks... my gut feeling is it might be a tad more expensive for the boxster. After ruling out the brake master cylinder (stops fine?)and the brake pedal (doesn't bind to the pivot point by your feet) Then if it were me perhaps I would try a to find a used brake booster and install it. Not too hard btw. :-)
Let us know how it goes!

cheers,

curt
----------------
79 928 5sp silver/blk
02 boxtser 5sp blk/blk
Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Jeremy Cottrell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to replace the booster. It fills up with water and rusts inside. You also need to clear out those drains so your battery area does not keep filling up with water and destroying the booster. We see this problem all the time.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal not returning