Sponsored by:

Remote key command no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
lohab
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote key command no longer working

I have a 2001 Boxster S... now, I haven't replaced the key's battery yet... but the LED on the key is still flashing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Whenever I try to use the key to open the rear cargo area/front cargo area/doors the car doesn't respond.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, try your spare key to check vehicle system operation. If it does work then the original key is faulty, possibly the circuit board has broken.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Couple of things. Key module battery likely drained by now but...

Originally Posted by lohab
I have a 2001 Boxster S... now, I haven't replaced the key's battery yet... but the LED on the key is still flashing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Whenever I try to use the key to open the rear cargo area/front cargo area/doors the car doesn't respond.

Thanks for the help.
separate the key module halves and remove the battery. This "kills" the key module electronics by removing power. But power needs to be removed for some time to ensure the electronics are actually fully powered down.

Give this say 15 minutes though when I have to do this like when I come in at night and notice key led stuck on I just let the battery remain outside of the module overnight.

Install the battery (right way) and see if key button functions work and you can start car with key.

If not, I've been told that one "fix" is to installed the battery reversed for a moment or so. This is an offical fix and not just some 'net hack but I don't have the tech. bulletin number to quote to you.

If this doesn't see the key module resume working then the key module might be dead. A dealer check of the key module might be required to verify this for sure.

One time I noticed my car acting funny, beeping after I pressed lock button and even though nothing ajar. What I noticed after a few times was the rubber membrane had developed a crack and this was jammed and holding lock button down enough to cause it to repeatedly signal a lock/unlock command to the car. The key LED was flashing the whole time.

I separated the key module and removed the battery as I described above. I also cannibalized the rubber membraned half of the other key module (with dead electronics) so the worn out membrane would not do this again.

At some point, sooner I think than I would like, I'm going to have to spring for two new key modules. One dead, the other wearing out. (I've cannibalized at least one button from the dead module to replace a worn out button on the still functioning module.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Perhaps too obvious, but if you have not unlocked your car with the remote for five days you need to have the key relearn the code. Doing so is easy. Put the key in the door and unlock the car. Then relock it by turning the key. Take the key out and try the remote button - it should work. You need to do this anytime the car sits for 5 days or more. It is a security feature.

Regards
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,
my wifes 01 Boxster has the same key remote issue,
I am in the process of leaving the battery out for a while,
inserting battery backwards,
manually locking and unlocking door, but so far no luck.
The hood and trunk release do not work either.
The led's light when the appropriate button is pushed too.
Does Porsche have any tech bulletins regarding this, as it appears
we are not alone with this issue....
Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old remote circuit boards crack, look at the button, if it's pushed inwards a lot (and you can see the difference) indicates it's been used (a lot) replace the remote.
The remote, if original, is now coming up for 8 years old..... and like everything else, don't last for ever.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

If you push the button and it feels like there is no longer an resistance under the button, the internal mechanism on the circuit board has broken.

If you open it carefully enough not to lose the pieces, you can put it back together. It is a black rubber piece shielded by a thin piece of metal. This attaches over the actuator on the circuit board.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Perhaps too obvious, but if you have not unlocked your car with the remote for five days you need to have the key relearn the code. Doing so is easy. Put the key in the door and unlock the car. Then relock it by turning the key. Take the key out and try the remote button - it should work. You need to do this anytime the car sits for 5 days or more. It is a security feature.

Regards
Does this procedure work with any remote? I broke the circuit board on mine and haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. If I buy a replacement circuit board on eBay can I use this procedure instead of paying the dealership to do the programming?
Old 04-16-2024, 08:45 PM
Cf996
5th Gear

So I snipped the green wire on the left rear door as that’s the one the push button stopped working on. However I’m still getting the key not recognized warning and now it is to the point it does it throughout the night until the battery is dead. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2024, 12:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cf996
So I snipped the green wire on the left rear door as that’s the one the push button stopped working on. However I’m still getting the key not recognized warning and now it is to the point it does it throughout the night until the battery is dead. Any ideas?
What rear door? Sure you are in the right forum?

Quick Reply: Remote key command no longer working