Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or do boxster owners not care about power/speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM
jean_noir
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or do boxster owners not care about power/speed?

I am coming from a 944 turbo (debating on purchasing a 2001 2.7l boxster) but was recently unimpressed with the power characteristics. In the 944 forum every other post is based on power upgrades. I have searched the 986 forums for upgrades but aside from a new exhaust and an extremely overpiced turbo installation, I can't see anything regarding power. What gives? If I buy this car should I just have the mind set of enjoying handling and pedigree? Every magazine I read ranks this car high in the excitement factor but I am just not seeing it. Any suggestions or opinions?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 PM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Get a "S" and get on a more twisty road. These things ain't made to go straight.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM
lilredpo
Pro

now drive an S.....
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Tierce
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboBill911
Get a "S" and get on a more twisty road. These things ain't made to go straight.
AMEN!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Heck even the 2.5 can be great fun. Intake/Exhaust and a Flash is about all you can do to these motors before stepping up to forced induction but the mid-engine platform makes for great driving characteristics. Top Gear has 3 or 4 episodes now looking for something to "wipe the smug grin off the Boxster's face" for cars in this price range and as a total package theres just not much that can hold a candle.

If you are looking for throw yourself back in the seat acceleration then something with a bit of turbo lag followed by sudden power will make a seamless power delivery seem mundane but if you get on a twisty road somewhere the Boxster is as good as anything else on four wheels.

Just my humble opinion of course. And I own a 911 so its an unbiased opinion as well!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Give it time....in the past year underdrive pulleys(+10hp proven),$350 and modified plenums,pedros garage have poor mans one for $275 and they have be able to give Boxsters a little more kick and the funny thing is,they give the most vroom vroom then any $2k street legal exhaust or intake set up out there.

Don't waste your time on a flash on these cars. Way too much money for what it is and some people will just scam you and adjust the car's throttle sensitivity instead of actually properly tuning it.

I have no problem throwing my Boxster S sideways with only 250hp and kicking the rear end out just for fun. You just can't hot rod these cars...BAD wheel hop.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I have had both cars I can say they are totally different beasts. Even the S doesn't feel like it has copious power, especially compared to a tuned 951, but redline pulls in 2nd and 3rd are still a blast. Plus the thing is so nimble, so tossable, that it is an absolute joy to drive. Put the top down, find some curves, and use the full power band.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Boxster is all about balance. Just enough of everything you want in a car without any one characteristic overpowering another. Amazing cars inside and out.

Try it on a track. My wife's 2.5 tip is damned quick at the DEs we've been to and shifts faster than I could in my 986S. And even though I traded up for a 997S I still miss my Boxster sorely.

If you want to go quick in a straight line, buy a Mustang or 'Vette. If you want to become a better driver, drive a Boxster. No turbos, headers, ECUs or other upgrades needed--most of us will never touch the performance potential of the 986 in stock trim, especially S.

Mark
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And then some of us couldn't wait on the factory to do it and put 3.4's in!
Cheers
Randy
Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Maybe we don't play the game called 'I need to feel mine is bigger than yours'.

Frankly, I have owned a 201 HP '99 and a 253HP '01S and the lower HP car was more fun because I could exercise it more often. Get too much HP and, aside from a race track, where can you exercise it...safely.

The 201HP was more car than I'm capable of driving at the limit. And I've raced...first in the '60s.

The 924/944 is a wonderful track car. But its price of ownership has fallen to where those who now own them are the same crowd who own ricers. Putting their ears at risk with loud mufflers. Having to call attention to themselves with chrome wheels, lowest profile tires and wild wings.

Doesn't interest me. If it does you...go there. Or buy a vette where you can go from legal to illegal in 3 seconds.

I'd prefer to keep my license.

And my ears.

IMHO.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an S, I cared very much about Power speed and balance.
While sometimes I was left wanting just a bit more power It never got in the way of enjoying the car!

The S is pretty close to a perfect roadster in my book.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The 944 turbo is a fantastic car. It's just getting on with age.
The boxster (2.5) is a lot slower but put it up against a 911sc and you got yourself a good race.
And for $10k its a steal.
I can't wait till the V8 conversion is done with the boxsters. Using a cayenne engine in such a light body is going to be killer.
If i had enough space i would love to have an 1989 944 turbo. Quality, speed, reliability is second to none. 20 years later it still looks great.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:59 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Psh forget the cayenne(vw) engine......get a ls6 in there.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 AM
jean_noir
Racer

Fair enough, I did enjoy the test drive of the boxster. It felt light and quick and nothing was falling apart (unlike my 23 year old car). I am heading back this weekend for a second test drive and to discuss numbers.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by jean_noir
I am coming from a 944 turbo (debating on purchasing a 2001 2.7l boxster) but was recently unimpressed with the power characteristics. In the 944 forum every other post is based on power upgrades. I have searched the 986 forums for upgrades but aside from a new exhaust and an extremely overpiced turbo installation, I can't see anything regarding power. What gives? If I buy this car should I just have the mind set of enjoying handling and pedigree? Every magazine I read ranks this car high in the excitement factor but I am just not seeing it. Any suggestions or opinions?
Or the 944 came with insufficient HP factory and owners are seeking to address this deficiency while the factory did the right thing with the Boxster and gave it the HP it needed at the factory.

Seriously, I gave a new owner of a used 944 a ride in my 02 Boxster and he was quite impressed with the Boxster's power and acceleration.

I do not know how my Boxster's acceleration would compare to even a stock 944 Turbo.

Pretty sure though the Boxster's handling and possibly its braking is quite superior to the 944 model.

Bottom line is my 2.7l Boxster plenty fast enough though if I really feel the need for brute force acceleration I have my 996 Turbo to fall back on.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or do boxster owners not care about power/speed?