Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD news; Not for the faint hearted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Tierce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD news; Not for the faint hearted!

Okay, so long story short, I spun the boxster on some black ice last week and this Christmas hasn't been too friendly. Getting off the highway, it let go, and I hit the end of a guardrail with the right rear, and spun the front right into the guardrail as well.

I wasn't planning on posting this on here, I normally just browse and enjoy reading everyone else's comments, but I was hoping to get a little advice. I've got a lot of miles on the car, but I'm planning to keep the car for a long time and drive it into the ground, so to speak.

Now down to the details. I obviously have to replace the front and rear bumpers, along with the front right fender and right rear, which has to be cut and welded. I'm waiting on a quote from a body shop that I trust here in Charlotte, and he's going to quote me OEM.

Rather than going OEM, are there any upgrades that would cost the same as OEM, or a fraction more that you guys think would be justified? I'm planning on upgrading the brake light lenses to clear instead of yellow, along with the side marker lenses.

What about bumper aero kits? Any recommendations? I don't have a ton of money to blow on it, but if I'm going to replace parts, what are the best parts to get?
Attached Images      
Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not pleasant for sure. I spun mine a few weeks back but was lucky to only get grass in the wheel wells and avoid the big concrete wall on the other side of the road. Luckily I've done the spin thing plenty of times on track so it doesn't phase me so much.

My car is not really a looker but is mechanically sound and well maintained. I have thought about this a bit but I won't spend the money on a whim. IF I had such an issue I would be looking at a turbo front bumper. Guess it depends on how much other stuff is messed up. However from what I read it should be a relatively easy retrofit, and probably not that much more than the stock S bumper.

As an aside, what is up with those exhaust tips? Does the car have aftermarket exhaust or is the bumper pushed in?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Bad luck about the car. But you weren't hurt.

I've been through a couple of Porsche accidents this year. (What a year!)

My advice is to be very careful about non-OEM body parts and mechanicals.

For both my Boxster (hit from behind at light and then shoved into vehicle in front of my car) and Turbo (hit a deer) the insurance company (other driver's in the case of the Boxster and *my* insurance company in the case of the Turbo) wanted to use re-conditioned, salvaged body panels and other parts (like headlight, wheels, radiator, A/C condensor, everything). Body shop in both cases found the re-conditioned parts not up to snuff: The fit and condition was terrible; and managed to convince the insurance company -- with my help -- that only new factory parts were acceptable.

The cost of factory vs. the crappy used/salvage parts is not that much different and when it comes time to get things to fit well, take paint well, line up properly, the factory parts are far better.

Also, the car will need to have damaged panels removed, running gear removed, and the car placed on a Celette bench and all applicable hardpoints checked for proper location, position with the proper jigs/fixtures (rented from Celette).

Likely some have been knocked out of place and even new factory body panels will not line up properly unless the places to which they attach are within the proper location tolerances, which are very small for Porsches.

Not doing the above will result in a substandard repair -- Porsche requires it as part of its recognized collision repair process/procedures -- and body panel and bumper panel fits will be subpar. Even if one can live with the looks, seals may leak water, or make noises, lights may not line up properly, the car's wheels may not align properly and overall the car will not only lose substantial value but lose much of what you like it for.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Tierce
Pro

Macster, (and schwank too)

Thanks for the advice. And you're right, I wasn't hurt (physically anyway), that's the most important part.

I'm working through the first repair quote now, from a local shop that specializes in Porsches and other imports. I've seen their work and believe in them. Just can't afford everything to be new parts right now.

They've priced parts as new from Porsche and I can cut a lot of cost out of the quote by shopping around. Honestly, I'd like to take your approach Macster and have the car rebuilt as if new, but I just can't afford to. Insurance isn't involved (long story, but I don't carry collision insurance) so my business, of which I'm an owner, will be paying for the repairs.

The quote is about twice as much as I was hoping for, and I don't have the cash to fork over right now, so it may take time.

I offered to pay over a 10 year period and he instead requested my first born, which i immediately agreed to because it's frankly going to be a while before that happens.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 PM
racer
Drifting

Its unclear to me.. are you paying for this out of pocket or thru insurance? Insurance might not allow too many changes from OEM style, since that was what was on the car already.

Given how it sounds like you hit the guard rail (multiple times), I'd be worried about "frame" damage... Given age and mileage (I didn't see either mentioned) the car could conceivably be "totaled". A high mileage 2000 S could have a trade book value of only $11K for instance. You might be looking at 1/2 that or more for parts and labor to fix.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Tierce
Pro

I'm paying for this out of pocket, not insurance. mileage is 145k. and the first quote today actually WAS 11k. but that's with new parts from Porsche, and it can be reduced by a lot.

I'm also considering doing some of the work myself. Prep work, removal, replacing some of the parts.

Right now, I'm just trying to find parts as inexpensively as possible.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Ouch, glad you are well. If you are considering racing this might be the jump off point
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Tierce
Pro

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
Ouch, glad you are well. If you are considering racing this might be the jump off point
Only in my dreams. Can't afford it!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the age and milage of the car, you would be better off selling it for $4500 to $5500 which is what it is worth in its current shape. Go out and buy another used boxster, you will spend $8000 at the least to fix it, and then you have a car that is still only worth $8000 at best.

Sorry
Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the mileage addendum, I would not repair this one. It's a tough call but as others have said, the cost will likely be high given what it would be worth afterward, no matter what.

Pull everything worthwhile and sell it. Use that money along with what you would spend to repair this one... and buy another. Maybe find an early base car with a bad motor and put your suspension and motor into it?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can see why you want to keep the car, it's yours and you know the history.
Perhaps look for a Boxster with a bad motor and buy it for parts, I'm sure you can score used fenders, hood..lights....etc. Maybe even a used Mk1 GT3 front bumper, that would be a nice upgrade.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this add for a Boxster shell at $3K. This is most likely what you need to fix yours:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ176070924
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

oh, man, that sucks and when it happens you feel like to total smuck.... as everyone drives by looking at you......

Its not worth keeping. Both front corners bent, that back clip is f*cked...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I agree with the others, look for a shell or older boxster with blown motor or 200k+ miles and then swap out your suspension, brakes, interior, motor, tranks, and other parts as you see fit. the standard and s boxsters are still the same body, only different suspension, motor, and trans. Your main shell/frame is likely tweaked somewhat and trying to bolt on replacement parts is not going to be easy. Spending 11g is a nail in the *** too, seeing how you can fild 1997-99 boxsters for 5g +-.

Best of luck. Above all, don't get impatient. Surf craigs list, ebay, 986 forums, you'll find a deal. Also check out some of the PCA region's websites for their classifieds sections.

Tom
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

I dunno, a little Gummi Pflege, and some rubbing compound - it'll be good as new! I concur with those who say if you can't fix it the right way, sell it.

Quick Reply: BAD news; Not for the faint hearted!