Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder number layout?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default cylinder number layout?

I cannot find this listed. what is the order of cylinders in the Boxster?

I know 1-3 are on one side and 4-6 on the other but does it start at the front of the car and go to the rear? anyone have a diagram? I was looking on google for the last 15 min.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1-3 is on the right side of the car and 4-6 is on the left (that would be if you're sitting ing in the car). 1 and 4 are at the front of the engine, on the belt side. This information doesn't appear to be in the Bentley manual or really anwhere else. I figured it out while diagnosing some spark plug and coil issues.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (04-02-2023)
Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
I cannot find this listed. what is the order of cylinders in the Boxster?

I know 1-3 are on one side and 4-6 on the other but does it start at the front of the car and go to the rear? anyone have a diagram? I was looking on google for the last 15 min.
From page 395 of the Bosch Automotive Handbook, 5th edition:

Number the cylinders
(DIN 73021)

[ Applies to motor vehicles only. For internal combustion engines for general and marine use, the reverse direction (as viewed looking at the power-output end) is standardized (ISO 1204 and 1205, DIN 6265).]

The cylinders are numbered consecutively 1, 2, 3, etc. in the order in which they would be intersected by an imaginary reference plane. As viewed looking at the end of the engine opposite the power-out-put end. This plane is located to the left when numbering begins; the numerical assignments the proceed clockwise around the longitudinal axis of the engine [ fiqures are referenced ]. If there is more than one cylinder in a reference plane, the cylinder nearest the observer is assigned the number 1, with consecutive numbers being assigned to the following cylinders. Cylinder 1 is to be identified by the number 1.

The figure for a flat engine shows the #1 cylinder is the when looking at the engine from the power output end is located on the right bank at the furtherest cylinder from the power output end.

For the Boxster/Cayman cars this would make the #1 cylinder the cylinder immediately behind the passenger (USA cars, left hand drive).

For 996 cars this would make the #1 cylinder the cylinder furthest away from the driver (USA cars, left hand drive) on the cylinder bank on the driver's side of the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

sweet! Thanks guys, I helped a friend change spark plugs and he is getting a misfire. I am bringing the code reader over tonight with tools to figure out what plug is not connected correctly. The car drove fine but on a hard corner it mis-fired and now it will die right after starting (only tested while hot) he then had it towed to his house.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
From page 395 of the Bosch Automotive Handbook, 5th edition:

Number the cylinders
(DIN 73021)

[ Applies to motor vehicles only. For internal combustion engines for general and marine use, the reverse direction (as viewed looking at the power-output end) is standardized (ISO 1204 and 1205, DIN 6265).]

The cylinders are numbered consecutively 1, 2, 3, etc. in the order in which they would be intersected by an imaginary reference plane. As viewed looking at the end of the engine opposite the power-out-put end. This plane is located to the left when numbering begins; the numerical assignments the proceed clockwise around the longitudinal axis of the engine [ fiqures are referenced ]. If there is more than one cylinder in a reference plane, the cylinder nearest the observer is assigned the number 1, with consecutive numbers being assigned to the following cylinders. Cylinder 1 is to be identified by the number 1.

The figure for a flat engine shows the #1 cylinder is the when looking at the engine from the power output end is located on the right bank at the furtherest cylinder from the power output end.

For the Boxster/Cayman cars this would make the #1 cylinder the cylinder immediately behind the passenger (USA cars, left hand drive).

For 996 cars this would make the #1 cylinder the cylinder furthest away from the driver (USA cars, left hand drive) on the cylinder bank on the driver's side of the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Hmmmm....makes me wonder what chevy was thinking with their 1,3,5,2,4,6 numbering.

Look for a cracked insulator. That one got me big time. If necessary switch plugs or caps, but do them independently to corner the problem.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Codes came back for #2 and #3 misfires as well as MAF issues. I replugged the connector on the coil and the car runs fine now. I let my buddy borrow the OBDII reader and he will let me know if something else comes up. The car was also dang near out of gas, he may have just run low on fuel. he added fuel before we went for a test drive and it said 17 miles till empty AFTER the fuel was added.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
Codes came back for #2 and #3 misfires as well as MAF issues. I replugged the connector on the coil and the car runs fine now. I let my buddy borrow the OBDII reader and he will let me know if something else comes up. The car was also dang near out of gas, he may have just run low on fuel. he added fuel before we went for a test drive and it said 17 miles till empty AFTER the fuel was added.
My info is if the gasoline level low, to the point the misfires can arise from low fuel level, misfire codes are not recorded.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
My info is if the gasoline level low, to the point the misfires can arise from low fuel level, misfire codes are not recorded.

Sincerely,

Macster.
alright, I will tell him to keep an eye on any MAF failures he sees reported on the code reader.
Thank you as always Macster!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
adubyuh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder numbers on 996

There seems to be a lot of discussion and it is sometimes confusing. One picture is worth 1000 words. see attachment 996_firing_order.gif allen woody
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 310 Posts

Pretty darn good for a first post adubyah.
Stop by Starwoods one Saturday and say hello.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cylinder number layout?