Know anything that will "melt" the radio knobs on a 99 boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 AM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Know anything that will "melt" the radio ***** on a 99 boxster

Hey all,

This is a weird question, but it's a really odd occurence.

I'm assuming ownership of my father's 99 boxster in ~2 weeks. It's fairly clean inside, though it needs a detail. No signs of greasy fingerprints or swipes anywhere.

However, the radio ***** felt like they had partially melted. The surfaces of both rubber ***** were evenly coated in one of the tackiest feeling-grease-like-substance I've ever felt (as tacky as graphite chassis lube, tackier than most brake pad greases).

I would believe it was some grease monkey (hehe) applying it, except that it was perfectly even all the way around both ***** and on the front flat part of the ****. It was on NO surrounding surfaces, not even the radio faceplate.

So my only guess is that some chemical was used that interacted with the rubber and liquified the surface into a grease substance.

Any ideas there? I'm going to try to remove it with alot of paper towels and maybe some simple green.

Joe
Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
BPG_Austin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '99 boxster. Same problem even at low 20k miles. I think its a common problem. New ***** should be the solution.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a common problem. BeckerSoundUSA sells replacement *****.
http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index_porsche.html

***** at SunCoast Porsche
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=986AUDIO

or

Here is a DIY repair write up from Pedro.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/F...o_Buttons.html
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Laura
Pro

We see this every now and then. It seems no one can ever remember cleaing them with something unusual. They won't come back to normal. Best bet is to just replace the *****. 996.645.901.00 about $25 ea
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
jotoole
Track Day

Had same problem with radio ***** on my MY 2000 2 years ago. Believe it is caused by folks getting into car first thing in morning with after shave or cologne still on finger tips, then adjusting *****. It deteriorates the **** coating. I used PLASTI DIP found at places such as Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Look in painting supplies dept. Comes in several colors and application methods. As I recall, I used the dip method. Clean ***** per instructions, dip *****, let dry thoroughly. My black ***** are like new, going on 2 years. Slick and smooth. Takes all of 5 minutes, not including drying time.

p.s. just noticed Aron's post above referencing Pedro's DIY. That must be where I got info. Anyway, 2 years later ***** look and feel like new.

Last edited by jotoole; 06-14-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Thanks all. Perfect. Although, I will say, compared to Pedro's pictures...my surfaces are actually liquefied grease in consistency. Not just tacky to the touch, the stuff came off onto my fingers and was a bear to scrub off.

Easy enough fix, and I can think of a few dozen things I'd like Plasti-Dip for
Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Seems to me that I've read it was caused

by sun tanning lotion.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Mosquito repellent containing DEET melts plastic on contact.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
jotoole
Track Day

Default DEET!

Deet damages some plastics, and it just might be what damaged the the *****. Good point!
It would melt the printed instructions right off the plastic squeeze bottles it came in. Used gallons of it in Vietnam, finest kind. But you would sweat it off and need to reapply. For folks not there, that was what was in the little green or white bottles strapped to our helmets. Once when we ran real short of the repellent, the REMFs sent, get this, SHELL PEST STRIPS out to the field to use instead.
Use suntan lotion a lot these days then handle sunglasses, floats, all kinds of materials without apparent harm.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought mine felt like that from the humidity. they just feel like that some of the time.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikefocke
by sun tanning lotion.
2nd, reportedly the same problem with the audi soft-touch coating
Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Anyone know if I can dip the HEADS of the wheel's lug bolts into plasti-dip? I expect it would chip off over time, but I was planning on spray-painting them (they look fairly beat up) and, well, while I have the product out and about.....
Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
jotoole
Track Day

Originally Posted by mikefocke
by sun tanning lotion.
Did some research, some sun lotions WILL damage some plastics. With all the plastic electronics, portable and otherwise, out there, got to be more careful.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

Seems to be fairly common on early Boxsters, at least it was on mine. Called Stefan at SW Stereo for new *****. He wasn't surprised and described it as the ***** turing into "chewing gum." A good description actually. High heat and humidity have a bit to do with it as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looked like they were wrapped in some white gooey nastiness when I got the car. I just scrubbed them with denatured alcohol and they're ok for now. I have a real hard time justifying spending $50 for replacement ***** on a stock stereo that are just going to fall apart again. I wonder if I could get some black anodized billet aluminum ones manufactured for a decent price. I'll add that to my list of products I'm in the process of designing.

Quick Reply: Know anything that will "melt" the radio knobs on a 99 boxster