Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just got my first Boxster and have a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I just got my first Boxster and have a few questions!

I just got a beautiful 1999 Boxster, Tipptronic (I'm disababled driver in a wheelchair so I need an automatic for the hand-controls to work)

I have a few questions: First off, what kind of wheels are these?

Secondly, how do I get the ashtray to stay closed...I made the mistake of opening it.

And finally is there any tips you have for a new Boxster owner? I've had a 924S and a 944, so I'm not new to Porsche culture, but I am super excited about this car

Thanks so much and here is a picture of my new baby!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
highlow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to justify your purchase of a Tip to us, whatever you prefer is perfectly ok regardless of people saying 6-speed is the only way to go.

1. Sorry I don't know the type of wheels
2. My ashtray is alway in the open position, it wont stay closed either.
3.Have FUN!!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wheels are Porsche OEM wheels....look like 17" in size.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

You can pick up a used ashtray on ebay for 20 bucks or buy a non smokers open cubby, which looks better, if you don't need the ashtray. Change the oil every 5k miles rather than 15k. Do some research on type of oil to use. Porsche says Mobil 1 but others aren't so keen. Do an IMS upgrade when you replace the clutch. Drive it like you stole it.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:22 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

2nd, if you don't smoke pick up the "non smokers insert" you get more room to put stuff (it nearly fits an iphone cockeyed)

it looks good from that angle
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies I will have fun with it I've heard about the IMS issues and it's really pretty scary sounding...my car has 95k miles on it, whats the average labor time involved with the IMS fix. Is this something thats failing on a majority of cars or just a few?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For your ashtray, try this: grab the lid with 2 fingers and pull the entire ashtray assembly out. Turn it upside down (lid side facing down) and close the lid. If it holds, put the assembly back in place without putting too much pressure on the lid (otherwhise it will open again). Voila! (it works for me anyway).
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Cornering
AutoX

Hi, I had the same problem (bought used) my ashtray would not close. I had to pull the whole thing out and close it and carefully replace it.
UNTIL... I accidently sat on the console about where the ashtray is (I was removing my alternator & had the passenger seat out, was turned facing the front of engine and got lazy) and after that day it worked just like new! So I looked at the mechanism for the ashtray little top door, and realized it was also a little dusty/dirty... so I blew it out & greased the little swivel thingies and pins on each end, and it works fine now. But cudda just been my big butt pressure on it that stressed & staightened the thing out!
Enjoy your boxster , you will love it more & more with every drive, and I hear you re: IMS, but I love the car so much, I'm just going to enjoy it, and if it's one of the...what 6% ??? that will go, thats my excuse to put in the 3.6 or ? and never worry again while really flyin'. In the meantime I change oil more frequently, and check for IMS plastic seal pieces in the filter & check for sludge/IMS grease (lifetime) with my little finger in oil drain hole around the inside bottom of pan... so far, clean as a whistle same with Trans.
John
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

The wheels look just like the 17" wheels that came on my 02 Boxster. I forget the proper name for them. But they look factory.

Don't know about the ashtray. I just open the lid and close it and I can't remember how I do it now.

My advice is to bring all fluid/filter services up to schedule, unless you have paper work that shows these were done and are not due.

Oil/filter, engine air intake filter, cabin filter, brake fluid flush, a Tip fluid change, and a coolant drain and refill.

You can stretch these out over time, taking the oil/filter and air filters first, then a few months later the brake fluid and the Tip fluid change and then the coolant drain/refill.

I recommend a more frequent oil/filter service schedule -- I follow a 5K mile schedule (which I can not help but mention has suited my 02 Boxster well I think, the car having now covered over 235K miles and on the same engine (and clutch) that it came with from the factory).

Check the front and rear drains that they are clear of trash. Check the radiator air intakes are free of trash and if not arrange to remove the front bumper cover and clean these yourself of have it done. In a pinch you can use a leaf blower or shop air to by directing the air blast just right blow some of the stuff out but the stuff that gets between the A/C condensor and the radiator will have to be removed manually.

Be sure tires are inflated to proper cold pressure. Check the space saver spare too.

Then just drive the car.

A used Boxster is just a used car and good used car servicing/maintenance will go a long way to seeing the car continue to deliver miles and miles of smiles.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: I just got my first Boxster and have a few questions!