Sponsored by:

Winter Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Setup

I'll be driving my 99 Boxster this winter. It is my only vehicle, but I live in NYC so it is primarily a weekend car and I'll have discretion on when to go driving. I'm looking for some advice on how to best outfit the car. I found a set of the OEM 16" Boxster wheels for cheap, so now I'm looking for winter tires and thinking about a hard top.

Winter Tires

If I look on TireRack.com for the OEM sizes (205/55R16 & 225/50R16) the only thing that shows up is the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3. I've searched here and come up with some other possibilities: Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22/LM-25/WS-50, Dunlop Wintersport M2/M3 or Graspics; but at least according to TireRack.com these are not available in the OEM sizes.

Are there other tires I should consider besides the Michelin Alpins? Should I be looking for alternate sizes to get something else?

Hard top

I've gone back and forth on getting a hard top. My canvas and plastic rear window are in really good condition considering the age of the car, and I'd certainly like to keep it that way. The car will be parked in a garage (parking structure, open to the air but with roof and three sides enclosed), but it will be subject to whatever winter weather there is when I drive it and for any winter trips I have to assume it will be outside for the duration. Given I'll already be spending the money on tires, I'd love to avoid the expense, but I'm just worried about the top and especially the plastic window.

Who's gone through winters with the canvas and plastic and made it through no problem? Is it something I really need to worry about or are they pretty robust?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can vouch for the Bridgestone Blizzak LM snow tires. I have had them for several winters, first on my 993 and now on the Boxster. Never got stuck.
As for the hard top, I have one and I think it is well worth it. But unlike you, I drive the Boxster almost daily in the winter; and I do not want to take a chance with slush/salt reaching my soft top.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Consider going a little narrower than standard since you can't go "-1".

Can't vouch for size availability, but Michelin X-Ice2 seem to have lasted longer as originally intended for me than Blizzaks(wore through the special studless compound quickly)- although both approach hard to find Nokian as ultimate snow tires.

AFA the plastic window, anytime you touch it, to brush off snow, clean off winter grime, you will be scratching it. Plus no rear defog can be a PIA.

Coat the fabric top with some sort of convertible top water resistant treatment-but it's the rear window that's going to take the brunt of winter wear.

BD
Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDuce

Can't vouch for size availability, but Michelin X-Ice2 seem to have lasted longer as originally intended for me than Blizzaks(wore through the special studless compound quickly)- although both approach hard to find Nokian as ultimate snow tires.

AFA the plastic window, anytime you touch it, to brush off snow, clean off winter grime, you will be scratching it. Plus no rear defog can be a PIA.

Coat the fabric top with some sort of convertible top water resistant treatment-but it's the rear window that's going to take the brunt of winter wear.

BD
I found even with the rear window coating with snow/ice I could get in my 02 and turn on the heater, set the temp to high/max, the fan speed to near max, and select the dash vents and direct the vents up and towards the back and the heat would have the snow/ice melted in not much time at all. After driving a few minutes the wind blast would then have the rear window dry and clear.

One problem is the windows will stick/freeze and possibly not lower when the door is opened. One has to be a bit careful the first door opening after the car sits.

Also, and is even more critical, is if the window isn't lowered, before the door is shut again, use the window button to lower the glass and at the same time apply a bit of pressure with your hand to get the glass started down.

Once the window lowers I find it works just fine until the car is shut off and a new coating of snow/ice or melt water freezes the glass open again.

Edit: Once the window lowers I find it works just fine until the car is shut off and a new coating of snow/ice or melt water freezes the glass *shut* again.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 10-28-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Fixed goofy misteak.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

With the pricesof hard tops being much more reasonable now it's almost a no brainer in a cold climate if you have a plastic rear window. I keep mine on most of the time anyway though but I can take it off and on by lift in the garage and leave it hanging there. The car has a different feel with the hard top in place.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

I drove mine with Dunlup WinterSport M3's, they were great, I put them on my allroad as well, and have since put WinterSport 3D's on my other cars, with the "mixed" dry/rain/snow/sleet winters they are a fantastic compromise

my first winter I had the fabric roof & plastic window, it wasn't great, the window fogs, you can't use a scraper on it, and there's no defroster

then I got the hardtop and it was great, big glass window, defroster, quiet & warmer

it's for sale now if you're interested, I'd be willing to meet you in the middle too (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...metallilc.html)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
What do you mean by going minus-one? I have 17" wheels on the car now and will be using 16" for winter tires. The 16" wheels are 1-inch narrower than the 17".

For anyone who has used narrower tires, what exact sizes are we talking?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

"-1" using next size smaller diameter wheels and taller and narrower tires to maintain stock overall diameter. Helps tires dig into snow better. Tire Rack has big section about winter tire size selection.

In your case, don't think you can get 15" wheels to clear rotors.

BD
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please call me today and we can get you into a setup that works great. I still have some takeoff wheels left!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default You have said this is a weekend driver and

so you don't depend on it going out in the worst weather.

Once you say that, I'd not bother with a hardtop (expensive unless you are buying in the spring or early summer, hard to store, hard to remove, needs spinlocks) as the heater gets through to the plastic window in back and defrosts or de-snows it just fine. Likewise the roof as you don't even have a liner in the '99. I used to drive my Boxster to and from work daily in light snow and slush, parked in a open sided garage and it always was driveable as long as the tires were right for the temperatures and the snow wasn't too deep for the lowness of the car...it isn't an SUV. I'd claw the snow off the roof/window with my hand and not be using a scraper.

Another option is to buy a Noah fabric cover and use if at your destination if you suspect snow or ice. Lots cheaper than a hardtop, stores easily, requires no mounting hardware, one-man on and off, allows you to scrape the snow off with a broom, durable, easy on the finish of the car. I've cleaned up to 8 inches of snow and perhaps an inch of ice off my 5 year old cover multiple times and it is still perfect. Did that to allow driving on that thaw day where the streets were plowed but the snow hadn't melted. Used a push-broom to clear the snow off the cover and there the car was, just waiting to be driven!

Are 16s better in snow and potholes than 17s? Yes. (more crush space between the road and the rim. Allow narrower tires) Are narrower tires better? Yes. (Cut through snow and don't allow as much buildup in front of the tire.) 16s are not as good for summer smooth road conditions but the north east winters are another matter.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove two of the three Boxsters in winter. Snow tires are a must. Hard top is a luxury, IMO. If your top is in good shape, I'd get the winter wheels / tires now and wait a year for the hard top. Especially if it's not a daily driver, etc.

FWIW I drove on stock 17" wheels with Dunlop Wintersport M3s. They were terrific.

Don't forget a hard top requires spin locks to be installed if they aren't already.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 AM
EPWilson
Advanced

I ended up ordering a set of Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 tires from TireRack (Damon, I referenced you on my order for what its worth). Anything else that was suggested to me by local tire shops got poor online reviews and/or was a lower speed rating than the Alpins. Because of a $70 Michelin rebate, TireRack.com turned out to be a cheaper than the best price from a local shop.

I also picked up a hardtop (thanks again stumpjumper!). I realize it is a luxury but this one was a great deal, matches the color of my car, and included everything I needed. I may end up leaving the top on more often than not between track days and not having to worry about my top getting cut while the car is in a public garage.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done. You are definitely set for winter! Let us know how you feel the tires work, etc.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

I received the tires today - really impressed with TireRack's shipping. I only ordered them yesterday around noon! I should be able to get them mounted and on the car this weekend, which should be just in time as the temperatures have been getting pretty cold around Metro NYC.

One more question for winter setup - Floor Mats. Currently I have the factory fabric mats, but I don't want to destroy them (or the actual carpet underneath) with rain/snow/etc. Since the car is used for track days, I've been thinking about the Rennline Track Mats. Are they worth the cost? Do they stay in place well? Or should I get a set of Lloyd Rubbertite or similar?

Quick Reply: Winter Setup