Sponsored by:

Review: RAGGTOPP Fabric Cleaner and Protectant Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 PM
welles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: RAGGTOPP Fabric Cleaner and Protectant Kit

The convertible tops on our cars are made of Sonnenland A5.0 Singed fabric, manufactured by Haartz, the world’s largest maker of convertible topping. The fabric is described on the Haartz site as “An acoustically enhanced three-ply composite made of a surface singed acrylic twill weave outer fabric, a rubber inner layer, and a polyester lining fabric”. Point being, this is not your father’s canvas, and should be cleaned and treated with that in mind.

The Haartz website recommends one cleaner and protectant kit, and one only – the RAGGTOPP Fabric Cleaner and Protectant Kit. The cleaner comes in a manual trigger spray bottle, the protectant in a CFC-free aerosol can.

Cleaning the top simply using water and a soft bristled (horsehair or equivalent) brush will remove dirt and minor stains, but after using the RAGGTOPP cleaner per the directions, the top actually…sparkled. Yep, the acrylic fibers twinkle in the sunlight.

After three coats of protectant, again as recommended by the directions, I did a little water test. Small droplets bead up and run right down the side of the top; large drops bead up but do soak in. As advertised, water resistant rather than waterproof.

In sum, for $30 plus shipping from Amazon and other online sellers, and a little bit of labor, the kit seems well worth it to me. Particularly for those of us with non-black tops, it makes a visible difference.

Last edited by welles; 03-22-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
lilredpo
Pro

Does this product restore an even color/luster to the areas of the top that flex?

I've used other products and there always seems to be a color variation where the fabric flexes.

Thanks for the info.

You can see it here:
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
welles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lilredpo
Does this product restore an even color/luster to the areas of the top that flex?

I've used other products and there always seems to be a color variation where the fabric flexes.
I don't believe it will. I've noticed a similar (though less pronounced) effect on my Graphite Grey top - it my case, it appears to be a function of minor wear to the areas of the top that flex or have other top elements pressed against them when retracted, and varies depending on how the light hits it. Not an actual darkening of the fabric, in other words. The cleaner only cleans; it doesn't reverse wear to the fabric surface.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
bus stop
Advanced

+1 to what welles said, however with my black top it did make those wear marks less noticeable as the whole top took on a deeper black tone. I've used RaggTopp a couple of times now and have always been very impressed with the results.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use this product and it's really good!!

Quick Reply: Review: RAGGTOPP Fabric Cleaner and Protectant Kit