Sponsored by:

HELP! Sudden shifter issue '03 base 5spd w/B&M SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Mystery solved. The pivot pin in the shifter is either bent (doubtful) or has worn eccentric(more likely) and it has turned into a position where it is jammed up solid and will not allow the shifter handle to move rearward hardly at all. The pin will not come out, even with a hammer and center punch. I have to replace the shifter....and this is not a B&M, it is a knockoff. I was duped 4 years ago when I didn't know better,

So here are my options:

Porsche Factory Short Shift Kit $430 Suncoast
Porsche 997 Shift Console Upgrade $199 Suncoast
B&M Short Shifter $229 Bumper Plugs or $230 at Power Tech (local to me)
Agency Power Billet Short Shifter $250 (Agency Shifter)

Porsche SS kit is way too expensive. 997 update is genuine Porsche part but is only 15% shorter than stock. B&M seems the logical route as it is cheaper and 35% throw reduction (like I had) However the Agency shifter is interesting - it uses needle bearings instead of bushings.

Anyone know anything about this Agency shifter ?
Kudos on finding the problem.

As far as shifters, I believe the Porsche factory kit includes the frame, which makes conversion from stock much easier; just unhook cables, unbolt the old frame & shifter, and bolt in the new one. Otherwise, with a B&M type kit, you have to destroy the factory delrin bushings in order to separate the shifter from the frame. The BM kit comes with new aluminum bushings.

The good news for you is that your OEM bushings are already gone, so installing a new aftermarket shifter should be easy. You may want to inspect your shifter frame to insure there's no other issues with it. If so, then the factory shifter w/frame may be a better option.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Often you can find 997 shifter consoles for under $100 used. Also, I've seen B&M shifter pre-installed in consoles for as low as $50. Keep an eye on ebay and 986forum. In my opinion the 986/996 shifter feels like your paddling a row boat. The 997 console on the other hand feels pretty good. The plastic bushings are prone to failure though.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budmanv24
Bigkraut, are you talking about the deals held in by the large allen screws in the side of the transmission? I had the one on the passenger side back out really far. Initially I noticed that shifting into third was difficult sometimes. Then it got to the point where in neutral the shifter was centered between 5th and reverse. May want to check and make sure those are screwed in the whole way.
Here are the pics as promised.

First pic is the location of the pin/bolt on the passenger side.

Second pic is the location of the pin/bolt on the driver side (note that the clutch slave cylinder has been removed but would be to the left of the pin).

In the first two pics the factory pins/bolts have been replaced with steel ones. Yours will look like the ones in the fourth pic.

Third pic is the steel replacement pins.

Fourth pic is of the original factory bolt heads.
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2022, 10:29 AM
losblancos
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone happen to know if the pins described above by @BigKraut are spring-loaded? If so, are they what provides the side-to-side tension in our shifters?

Mine centers just fine but it’s not very “snappy” returning to center and I’m trying to figure out what part provides the side to side spring tension in the 5sp transaxle.

Last edited by losblancos; 04-22-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! Sudden shifter issue '03 base 5spd w/B&M SS