Sponsored by:

Review: B&M Short Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 PM
welles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: B&M Short Shift Kit

The B&M SSK has been around forever, and discussed on this forum many, many times. However, I was not able to find a straightforward review of it, so I thought that I would write one. I recently installed the kit on my ’04.

The OEM shifter is fairly stiff and narrow in the lateral (neutral) gate, but with long, low effort fore and aft throws. When in gear, there is significant side to side play. In short, it’s a linkage that doesn’t really belong in a sports car.

The instructions included with the kit are very complete, with only a couple of small oversights. Installation takes two or three hours, and the only somewhat specialized tools required are T20 and T30 Torx drivers. If you are comfortable with doing basic maintenance like changing the oil or replacing brake pads and rotors, take your time, and follow the instructions, this will be not be a challenging install.

The stock shifter assembly is a stamped and bent piece of steel rod in a plastic carrier/pivot – very utilitarian; cheap, even. The B&M unit on the other hand is a work of art in machined and anodized aluminum - as others have noted, it seems a shame to hide it away under a shift boot.

B&M claims a 35 percent reduction in shift throw – frankly, it feels even shorter. The linkage has a very precise, mechanical feel. Effort and throw now seem proportional in the lateral and fore and aft gates.

There are a couple of ways for a shift kit to achieve a shorter throw – shorten the lever, or raise the pivot point. Since this kit uses the stock **** and boot, the first of those was not an option. The laws of physics being what they are, raising the pivot increases shift force. A couple of other commenters have complained that the linkage is stiff or hard. Admittedly this is subjective, but I find the effort only slightly higher, and more than outweighed by the reduced throw and greater precision. Given that the SSK is properly installed, I can’t imagine the average Boxster owner having an issue with the effort.

In sum, it’s easy to see why this is such a popular mod. This is the shifter the Boxster should have had from the factory. I recommend it, and bumperplugs.com as a seller – their price was the lowest I was able to find, and shipping was very prompt.

Last edited by welles; 02-28-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, nice write up!
I love my B&M in my '01 986-S. Huge improvement over stock, a must have IMHO.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Hi There;
I Purchased my '02 986S with the B&M already installed. While at first I did not see it as a step up (be kind, I came from driving a BMW 3 series ever day :-) ), as time has gone by I've come to see it as simply fantastic. And you're right, it is a shame to hide it under the boot.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welles, nice write up. When I get my car back from IMS and clutch kit next week, I plan to do this project. Did you also install the EVO shift link that Bumperplugs.com recommends?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 PM
welles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfintexas
Did you also install the EVO shift link that Bumperplugs.com recommends?
I didn't - in fact, I didn't realize they suggested it as an addition to the B&M SSK until I looked just now. It appears to be designed to remove play in the fore/aft throw, but I wouldn't say that there is very much with the OEM links. Probably not worth $118 to me - YMMV.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 AM
jfintexas
Instructor

Originally Posted by welles
I didn't - in fact, I didn't realize they suggested it as an addition to the B&M SSK until I looked just now. It appears to be designed to remove play in the fore/aft throw, but I wouldn't say that there is very much with the OEM links. Probably not worth $118 to me - YMMV.
Sounds good to me. I got the impression from the description that the OEM linkage is plastic and the EVO aluminum. Any enhanced performance attributes were not clear. I have not read that the plastic OEM linkage is prone to breakdown, so just was not sure of the real driver for aluminum. Thanks for the insight!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
welles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfintexas
I got the impression from the description that the OEM linkage is plastic and the EVO aluminum. Any enhanced performance attributes were not clear. I have not read that the plastic OEM linkage is prone to breakdown, so just was not sure of the real driver for aluminum.
The OEM links are plastic; however, they look pretty robust. Like you, I am not aware that they are a common failure point - I suppose if you were really rough with the shifter for a long enough period of time, they might break, but it seems unlikely. Bottom line, the EVO links seem like much less value for money than the SSK.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
jfintexas
Instructor

Originally Posted by welles
The OEM links are plastic; however, they look pretty robust. Like you, I am not aware that they are a common failure point - I suppose if you were really rough with the shifter for a long enough period of time, they might break, but it seems unlikely. Bottom line, the EVO links seem like much less value for money than the SSK.
Welles, you rock! This is excellent news. I am not an aggressive shifter at all. Will "stick" with just the SSK and use the $120 for something else - maybe toward the stupid CD Tray and ashtray deletes. :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
jittsl
Racer

It may be unique to the abuse that track cars take but those plastic OEM pieces break all the time. When they do, you are screwed. I carry a spare in the glovebox of my GT3 and my spec Boxster uses the EVO part. If you've got it apart you would be foolish not to replace it IMHO. Just for the record it's only the forward/backward one that ever fails.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
It may be unique to the abuse that track cars take but those plastic OEM pieces break all the time. When they do, you are screwed. I carry a spare in the glovebox of my GT3 and my spec Boxster uses the EVO part. If you've got it apart you would be foolish not to replace it IMHO. Just for the record it's only the forward/backward one that ever fails.
in my GT3 i installed cup shifter and cup cables, very smooth and sturdy!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
leeper
3rd Gear

I also installed the SSK and LOVE it however instead of going with the B&M (I was ready to get it) I ran across the Top Speed model (looks absolutely identical in every way) for $59. Couldn't be happier. After posting and looking for reviews on other Boxster and 996 websites for those who had the TS version not one person had a complaint... glad I went that route so I've now got another couple hundred to blow elsewhere

Quick Reply: Review: B&M Short Shift Kit